Nosler 6mm Ballistic Tip 55gr.

I'm running everything through ARs so I'm a little on the conservative side, plus there's really no need to run them hard because they kill outstanding, more barrel life, more brass life, super accurate and still only drop 3.5" from my .6" ZERO at 100.

It will be a sad day when this barrel is shot out!
Im surprised Kino. You dont seem like the kind of guy to just cruise those projectiles.

Me? I load em to the edge. I want to see a pressure sign every now and then on my brass. That tells me Im right where I wanna be.

Barrels and brass are consumables and are replaced when worn out.

I set the bar at 3" of drop at 300 yards. Light 243 bullets and middle weight for caliber 22 Creedmoor gets me right there.

Those blazing speeds help with the runners too and I need all the help I can get when they're on the move.

Im surprised Kino. You dont seem like the kind of guy to just cruise those projectiles.

Me? I load em to the edge. I want to see a pressure sign every now and then on my brass. That tells me Im right where I wanna be.

Barrels and brass are consumables and are replaced when worn out.

I set the bar at 3" of drop at 300 yards. Light 243 bullets and middle weight for caliber 22 Creedmoor gets me right there.

Those blazing speeds help with the runners too and I need all the help I can get when they're on the move.

Haha I make up for it in bolt guns! They get ran pretty hard buddy! Ejector swipe is a smiley face telling you your home šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

I went to lighter 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips and 69 grain Seirra HPs in my 20ā€ and 22ā€ ARs because I wanted super flat trajectory out to 350 plus yards. I was use to running 70 grain NBTā€™s at 3650 fps in my 26ā€ barreled bolt gun. Just didnā€™t plan on dumping rounds out of them at full throttle Velocities to save some barrel ware. think Iā€™m a grain over book in one AR and a half a grain over book in the other. The 60ā€™s should be right at 4K and the 55ā€™s in the 22ā€ barrel Iā€™m guessing around 4150 fps. Iā€™ll have to chronograph them some day soon. Developed loads for them but never took them hunting yet. I just keep grabbing my bolt guns or my POF. To many options I guess. I also donā€™t see the amount of coyotes you have in my state and on my property. lol. Thatā€™s actually a blessing for my deer and turkey population. If I head out to my buddies in AZ itā€™s always game on though.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I'm considering a 6mm vs 22-250 vs 243 purchase. I think it would be ideal to shoot 55 grain around 4000fps with the option of shooting heavier bullets from the same gun. Flattest from 0-300 is most important, with optional distance coming in 2nd. I was concerned about the accuracy of the 55 grains with 1:8 twist. What twist rate was this getting 1/2 MOA?
That barrel is a 22" JP rifle AR10 barrel with a 1:8 twist. I was not getting 4000 fps for max accuracy. I had to slow it down to get better accuracy. The fast twist could be part of the problem. I've found even with slow twist barrels it isn't uncommon to get better accuracy with loads below max. I would have to look up my load data to get more details.

I'm still trying to decided what to load my AR10 6mm for coyotes. I've mostly used 80 gr Ballistic tips. The 70 gr Ballistic tips, 115 gr Bergers and 108 Bergers also shoot well. I might settle on 87 gr V max. The 87 gr V max has a good balance for flat shooting, terminal performance on coyotes, reasonable price and higher BC for longer shots/less wind drift. I'll probably load up more of the 6mm 55 gr Varmageddons but I don't see them becoming my primary coyote load.

In 2023 and 2024 I've mostly used my 223's for coyotes because I don't shoot many coyotes past 200 yards. Inside 200 yards my 223's kills coyotes just as good as my 22-250 or 6mm's. There is less less recoil with my 223's and I can more easily see them drop in the scope and can take quicker follow up shots when there are multiple coyotes. My problem is there are so many good options to choose from. I would be using my 6mm or 22-250 more often if I regularly took longer shots or was hunting areas with bigger coyotes.

For some reason every one of my 243 chambered rifles shoot the tightest groups with anywhere from 2/10 of a grain to one grain over max book loads with just about every projectile Iā€™ve tried so far. All four of mine like to be ran fast.

Back