noobies got Black Rifle fever.

Originally Posted By: jonbearmanCollecting parts without knowing what is good or what isnt could get you into trouble,especially if you dont really know how to put one together.

Exactly what i started thinking when i got looking at all the different parts i would need... theres just soo much and i dont have a clue about any of it. so for my first ill buy factory and just get into the AR world and with that one learn how to strip it to nothing learn how it works and just learn it all inside and out then maybe as i get older and a little more money too boot i can try building my own.

OH i forgot my biggest question with the whole AR-15 deal.

This topic has confused me for about 3 or 4 years now becuase it seems every person i ask tells me something different but...

If i get an AR chambered for 5.56 can i safely shoot .223 Rem in it? i know if the gun is chambered for .223 you dont want to shoot 5.56 because they are a little hotter of a round but can you do it the other way around?

Hey noob,

Is your head hurting yet? Yes you can shoot 223 in a 5.56, not the other way around. Rock River has whats called a Wylde chamber so you can shoot both. I have a Rock River and they are very nice. Check out their web site. You'll get a different brand recommendation from just about everybody based on what they have. One commone theme seems to be they all like what they have. I did a ton of research before I bought mine. I settled on the RR large part based on their reputation for accuracy and quality AND customer service. In the end I'm sure what ever decision you make will be fine. But I will warn you, when people say this is a disease they aren't kidding. I started of with the RR, then I ended up getting a 50 Beowulf, then, thanks to this forum, I ordered a 20 Practical from WOA which costs almost as much as an entire gun, I'm just wating to sell a couple of things and I will order a 6.5 from New Frontier. After that I'm thinking real serious about a 17 Predator. I think MAYBE then I'll be satisfied for a while. So just my .02, I'm a RR fan, cause all the other ones suck, Lol...

Last edited:
Ok thanks all.

What do you think about this gun?

The only downers i see in a gun like that is:

1. the handguard is tactical and has the rails on it... might get in the way of shooting sticks if i ever decided to take it coyote hunting.

2. it is heavy its heavier than my R700 SPS Tactical and that little thing is already a heavy gun.

3. it comes with 2 30 round mags... they will be nice if i ever take it gopher shooting but not too good for coyote hunting if i ever take it after coyotes...

but what i do like is it comes with a rear sight so i wouldnt really have to put a scope on it to still shoot it and have fun with it.

Opinions?

Originally Posted By: the noobieOk thanks all.

What do you think about this gun?

The only downers i see in a gun like that is:

1. the handguard is tactical and has the rails on it... might get in the way of shooting sticks if i ever decided to take it coyote hunting.

2. it is heavy its heavier than my R700 SPS Tactical and that little thing is already a heavy gun.

3. it comes with 2 30 round mags... they will be nice if i ever take it gopher shooting but not too good for coyote hunting if i ever take it after coyotes...

but what i do like is it comes with a rear sight so i wouldnt really have to put a scope on it to still shoot it and have fun with it.

Opinions?

just sawp out the handguard

Last edited:
+1 for swap the handguard, and as far weight goes, its just part of the AR (yes you can get them light with carbon uppers and lowers, and a carbon barrel) and as for the magazines, its easy to get 5 and ten round mags for them. C-products makes nice mags.

The only things i don't really like with that rifle is the carbine length gas system, and the 1-9 twist rate.

The 1:9 dont bother me too much thats what my 700 has and i havent worked with any loads for it much but it likes 55 grains and they are what i shoot mainly

I agree. It's a good starting place for getting into AR's.
I know you said "when you turn 18". You haven't forgotten
that you will also have to factor in the cost of the FFL
REQUIRED for that particular AR ? As well as meet the
requirements needed to obtain one. Just a thought, you should
consider. "But hey~~~ What do I know?"
It's an ADDICTION. Is the only thing I know for a fact !

Last edited:
Yes i know i will need an FFL and that i must pass the checks and all but im getting ideas what i can get into from online figuring out whats good prices then when i have cash in hand yes of course i will be going down to Boise to visit gun shops and see what they have used i always look at used guns but im trying to learn what i can now and figure what i can get into for what price from the factory.

IMO RRA makes one of the best guns out there, their 2 stage triggers are sweet and they are built with great quality compared to some other brands. you get what you pay for. Also RRA has a EOP (Elevated Optics Platform) as an option. If you want a big objective scope you would need to buy very high scope rings so the scope fits. I opted for a carry handle upper. and heres why 1. you can still mount a scope on it. 2. you can take your scope off when you just want to do some shooting and not have to sight it back in due to the rail system that fits in the carry top. 3 you can get a RRA carbine for about 1000$. And remember you can always buy more parts down the road. I shoot .5 inch groups at 100yds with my LAR-15. good luck

Back