NM Vote to Ban Coyote Hunting Contests could be today

Originally Posted By: mejeremybI see your point but I think we as hunters should have more respect for our sport and have a resposibility to make quick ethical kills. We are less likely to have attention brought onto hunting from antis by going out and callin in and shootin a yote than if they were to see how they drive around in trucks drinking and cutting fences tryin to let the dogs chase them down and rip them apart. Groups of guys like that gives our sport a bad reputaion and we all know first hand right now what happens from polititions going off of reputations instead of facts. Ignorance is definitely NOT bliss!!!!

I most certainly understand your position, and I'm not trying to argue that at all Jeremy. Simply trying to point out, that we as hunters, must be careful of what parts of other hunters' actions we attack. Or, we ourselves begin sounding like the antis.

While you may not approve of their actions or their methods, we have to be careful what parts of their actions/methods we pick apart. Ripping around in the pickup, drinking, raising he11, cutting fences... Yep, that's all irresponsible, destroys land owner relations, and portrays a bad image of hunters as a whole; most certainly a condemnable offense. Argument that one method of killing is more acceptable than another because it's more "Humane" is kinda iffy, in our politically correct world.

That's drawing tiny little lines in the sand; fragmenting hunters as a whole; eroding away at our rights bit by bit. If we condemn those that kill in that method, and refuse to support them when the antis attack their method, then we are that many fewer in support of our methods, when the antis attack ours. While their method of killing a coyote may not be altogether acceptable to you, your method is just as unacceptable to others. It's a whole lot like this gun control problem we're facing at the moment, they're arguing they just want Assault Weapons now, but we all know that's simply the first step in their master plan. It's the same thing with hunting, they keep picking away at it bit by bit, and the opposition forces become smaller and smaller. Each argument they offer meets with less and less resistance, until eventually they will overcome and prevail.

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorA thought on Jeff's comment that the pm hunt would not be affected by this type of ban...

I'd ask, "why the he11 wouldn't this ban affect the pm hunt?"

I'm obviously not in charge of the pm hunt, but if I were, then I wouldn't host an event in a communist, cow-towing, anti-coyote killing state. I'd take my business elsewhere.

To be clear...

The folks in Las Cruces have been HUGELY supportive of our event for the past 4 years and have welcomed us with open arms. The hotel staff, the New Mexico Farm & Ranch Museum, New Mexico Fish & Game, the New Mexico BLM (after our meeting), and almost every single rancher and person I've ever spoken with there have been very happy to see us hosting our event there.

The agitators have just shown there teeth this year and the supporters FAR outweigh the non supporters.

Moving the hunt has been on the table for discussion BEFORE the proposed BAN even occurred.

I, personally, also wouldn't want to give the Anti's the satisfaction of thinking that they had any hand in Predator Masters leaving their State, but then again, those are my personal views on the issue.

I couldn't agree with you more on that point Jeff!

Originally Posted By: predyotevarmint
I don't know a single state that hires professional hunters to kill off to lower the population. They put a bounty on them but ?

Washington, Oregon, Nevada have government hunters whose job is to reduce the coyote population. I'm not sure what California is doing these days but when I lived in the state they had a coyote eradication program that employed the use of 1080. The California State Varmint Callers Association was instrumental in getting the use of 1080 discontinued in the state mostly because it killed indiscriminately. Birds, rabbits, coyotes, foxes, etc. Oregon employs the use of helicopters. The use of 1080 in North Central Washington has all but wiped out the jackrabbit population there. In the 5 years I lived up there I never saw one. Game birds get restocked but not jackrabbits.

While in Washington state I ran into a government hunter setting a cyanide gun on the Colville Indian Reservation which I thought very odd. The tribes do not allow the hunting of coyotes nor dis they employ government hunters. I was hunting upland birds at the time but without a dog and I got onto him for setting the trap where people used dogs to hunt the birds. He said he intended to place warning signs but I never saw any. There were plenty of coyotes, [beeep].

In a state like NM I would think that even with all of the Democrats there are enough ranchers and hunters to put enough pressure on them to keep this bill from passing or being signed.

I do know that the New Republican Governor of New Mexico has given New Mexico Game Fish the authority to FIGHT this new bill...

Go Susana!

An interesting argument posed by the bill's sponsor, Nate Cote (D-Organ) is that ranchers want coyotes around because they eat rabbits, thus reducing the competition with their livestock for grass. I've never actually heard a rancher say that, but I suppose it's possible. Any livestock producers out there care to comment?

Originally Posted By: DesertRamGo Susana!

An interesting argument posed by the bill's sponsor, Nate Cote (D-Organ) is that ranchers want coyotes around because they eat rabbits, thus reducing the competition with their livestock for grass. I've never actually heard a rancher say that, but I suppose it's possible. Any livestock producers out there care to comment?
I'm not a livestock producer, but have been around a few. I don't believe the bill sponsor. I think most ranchers say if the grass grows too much, it makes the rangeland prone to wildland fires.

NM is not an anti coyote killing state!! The coyote is not a protected furbearer. There is no limit on them! No season!

This is just some jackwads idea of passing some dumb law. Maybe to protect the coyote numbers where he hunts. I don't know the guy or have ever heard of him or this until now.

Desert Ram,
I grew up ranching, and to this day have a lot of friends still supporting their families with that life style. You will never hear a rancher at least any that I have ever known, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona say that the coyotes keep the jackrabbit population in check and therefore allowing the grass to grow for their cattle. Coyotes are opprotunistic hunters, whether its a jackrabbit or a new born baby calf, they dont care. Especially a wise old female coytote that has had the opportunity to eat some prime NM Black Angus, she will take that over a jackrabbit any day of the week. They cannot run as fast, are bigger right out of the box, you get the idea.
I fully support predator control, and the hunting of predators. I hope and pray this bill goes the way of the DODO!!

Talked to area game warden here last night. He said that there was lots of support in Santa Fe in the form of sportsman, ranchers, New Mexico Dept. of Game and Fish and sheriff or sheriff's. He didn't think HB316 would make it and would die. But he also said to be prepared that society is changing and will only get worst.

Below is the email we received from BLM after we had our meeting with them:

Subject: Predator Masters Conference

To: saledirector@predatormasters.com

This is to confirm that based on the information you provided the Bureau of Land Management Las Cruces District Office on February 4, 2013 that your organization is not required to obtain a Special Recreation Permit for associated unorganized coyote hunting by participants during your conference on February 7-9, 2013.

The rationale for this decision is based on the following facts you presented in our meeting:

-This is not an organized event associated with your conference. This includes no scheduling or sign-ups associated with hunting.
-You will not be collecting fees associated with hunting activities.
-You will not designate areas or routes in an organized fashion associated with hunting.
-No prizes or awards are offered as result of hunting activities.

Bill Childress
District Manager
Las Cruces District Office
1800 Marquess Street
Las Cruces, New Mexico 88005

Originally Posted By: DesertRamAn interesting argument posed by the bill's sponsor, Nate Cote (D-Organ) is that ranchers want coyotes around because they eat rabbits, thus reducing the competition with their livestock for grass. I've never actually heard a rancher say that, but I suppose it's possible. Any livestock producers out there care to comment?

I'm a livestock producer. I've never heard anyone say that, nor would I say it.

Given that... on our place, any coyote in a prairie dog town gets a free pass. Off the prairie dog towns, pass is revoked. This accomplishes nothing except than in a million billion years maybe I'll have evolved a coyote that only hunts prairie dogs. In the meantime, it's just a namby-pamby Ranch Rule that I made up because I can. I suppose one could make the point that because I think Coyotes Eat Prairie Dogs Which Eat Grass that this should also cover Coyotes Eat Jackrabbits Which Eat Grass but my rule is null off the actual prairie dog town (.ie I still hunt coyotes), so I think that would be stretching the point. I think of the prairie dog towns more like a "safe city" for the coyotes. On it, they have sanctuary. Off it, they are fair game again. And, um... well, I've been known to call coyotes NEAR prairie dog towns and shoot them when they come in. Technically, they weren't ON the town.
smile.gif

We're a yearling operation and, to be honest, coyotes don't cause me any trouble. If they come anywhere w/in range of the house (where they could cause trouble), I shoot, and more than one has died as a result but other than this they're not a problem for ME. For my neighbors who run cow/calf operations, maybe they're more of a problem, but they have their rules on their place and one of those rules is that I can hunt coyotes over there anytime I want, which I do. If we were a cow/calf operation, my rules would undoubtedly be different.

And if I could not shoot those inside the "you're too close to the house" zone, I don't have any doubt that they would, in short time, become a problem.

I guess I'm blabbing about all this to show that rules and attitudes (esp MY rules and attitudes) can be flexible and built on a matrix rather than on simple black/white laws.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaThis is just some jackwads idea of passing some dumb law. Maybe to protect the coyote numbers where he hunts.

Probably more to endear himself to voters in urban areas and protect his butt.

Originally Posted By: 1953Talked to area game warden here last night. ...But he also said to be prepared that society is changing and will only get worst.

This, too.

It's sad that NEW MEXICO is considered "non-hunter-friendly".

Never once heard a farmer or a rancher say to save a yote because they might eat a jack rabbit. Not even once!! And, I've talked with a bunch of farmers and ranchers in the last 25 - 30 years.

I grew up on a ranch, nothing large but, large enough to realize coyotes do their damage. Their opportunist and like any other creature and will eat what's easiest. I've personally witnessed two coyotes attack a calf as the mother was birthing. My uncles calves around thirty a year. He loses right about three to four calves to coyotes every year.

Before recently moving I worked three different ranches during calving season, some running as many as four hundred head. Ranchers welcome predator control with open arms, some even paying per head.

Drives me nuts all these people wanting to move out west and then try to change all the laws to fit their city life.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI for one would be elated to see the hunt move to AZ. I know several other members would love it too. Thanks for everything PM Staff...

I would like to see this too, or even Nevada.

I wish we all would spend as much time & energy writing our representitives as we do discussing the issues. It's time shooters, sportsmen, and hunters get off the sidelines and get in the game... I'm not talking about the PM folks...Unless you are not being vocal. Call/write/email your reps, state & federal regaurdless of the state you live in. New Mexico is not anti hunting but we do have a small, NOISY bunch of libs who will push their agenda if we let them. Out of state hunters should voice their opinion as well, don't let the ba$tards win. Tell your reps to vote the facts & science, not the emotion of these issues. Mention that you are a voting constituant. Be polite, short, and firm.... Ok, Ok, who took my soapbox???

Back