Nikon Coyote Scope

Why is a .6 inch group so difficult to believe?

I have shot a .45 inch, 3 shot group off of my steady stix at 50 yards with my .454 air rifle, using a 4X scope, and regularly shoot under an inch. This is with a trajectory that is far worse than a centerfire rifle.

So .6 at 100 yards using a powderburner and a high power scope doesn't seem like to much of a stretch to me, especially considering how he set up the target.

Gary,

I am not sure if the "adios" in your last post meant you are done with this thread or not.

But I would appreciate it if you would hear me out regarding additional feedback on the reticle.

I like the idea of the speed circles. I really do. But I am still advocating a center aiming dot. Even with a dot, I think most hunters would use the circles as you had intended from 0 to 75 yards. At these distances the dot is not needed, especially on a moving dog. I think the dot would not be an impediment to the circle, because as you have suggested, at this these distances on a quickly moving animal you are basically shooting at "fur." I think Ursus agrees with this as well (sorry if I am putting words in your mouth Ursus).

Now to include the dot would be giving hunters the best of both worlds. We would have the speed of the circle, and the precision of the dot. I have said this before, but there are many hunters who would not utilize the lower circles. The target dot would benefit these guys who want to shoot dogs at further distances. The dot would also benefit hunters who want to shoot smaller animals such as fox. Now, I know the purpose of the smaller circles. But my experiences as a bowhunter having used multiple pins for varying distances tells me that sometimes in the heat of the moment all those pins can get awfully confusing. Yes, they are nice to fall back on when you have the time. But with a quickly appearing or moving animal it is good to have ONE good aiming point that you can always rely on.

In the next year or two I will be buying my boys their own calling rifles (Mrs. 49 doesn't know this yet). Whether I get the Savage Predator or the Remington, I would consider this scope for them if it had an aiming point. The reason being, other than hunting, is that I want to be able to take them target shooting. A target dot would enable me to do this.

I think you and Nikon are on to something here. As you may have read, I had been conversing with Nikon a bit via email. Nikon is unwilling to add a dot as well. But I think where Nikon is missing the point here is that in order to sell scopes, they have to give people what they WANT, and not just what they think is best.

I don't have a scope yet for my R-15. I am considering a 2x7. But I would consider the Nikon coyote scope if it had an aiming dot, even though my first choice isn't a 3x9 power. As someone mentioned above, the camo matches the rifle, and I like the ARD feature.

Again, don't take my post as being critical. I think you guys are doing a great job, and kudos to Nikon for offering something to hunters that no other manufacturers have done. The reason I am still here is that I like your concept and have an interest in it.

You may not like what I have had to say, Gary. My opinions are nothing other than those of a 44 year old guy who has been hunting since he was 11 years old.

Have a good day.

does anybody else notice the "surface area" you see when looking through a nikon???....i went the other day to compare nikons and leupolds side by side (although it was in a store) ...the clarity was there for both but the one thing that will probably make me buy ANOTHER leupold for my R-15 ,as much as i want one with matching camo, is the fact that when i look through them, the "thick " ring of the nikon eyepiece seems to make the sight picture smaller than that of the similar powered leupolds....is it just me ???/....i DO shoot with my left eye when im right eye dominate....

Gary is probably one of the nicest, most honest, and down to earth guy you would ever meet and a good friend. Whatever he said happened, it happened. Gary I look forward to seeing it, I will be heading through Menard next week for a hunt,see you then. Hmmm wonder why he does't post very much.....probably the same reason why I don't either.

Bruce

Quote:
Gary is probably one of the nicest, most honest, and down to earth guy you would ever meet and a good friend. Whatever he said happened, it happened. Gary I look forward to seeing it, I will be heading through Menard next week for a hunt,see you then. Hmmm wonder why he does't post very much.....probably the same reason why I don't either.

Bruce

Bruce,

I don't know Gary but I am sure he is a super nice guy as you say he is.

Some of us are enthusiastic about the prospect of a scope intended specifically for predator hunting. We are just trying to help improve upon a good idea.

Thank you.

Your right. Constructive critisism is good like Barry said, but some of the remarks made and questioning Gary's facts? That sure doesn't sound like "improving upon a good idea," or it sure didn't to me. Maybe I just would go about it a different way.

Bruce

Some did question Gary's facts I agree.

These are the hazards of posting on the internet. However, the questions posed to Gary induced him to explain himself, which I think is beneficial to all who have an interest.

Finally received my 4-16 last week. Excited to get to sight it in this weekend. It is going to be a welcome compliment to my R-15 with Burris scope mount.

Quote:
Finally received my 4-16 last week. Excited to get to sight it in this weekend. It is going to be a welcome compliment to my R-15 with Burris scope mount.

Cool. Let us know how you like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I saw these scopes in an ad in PX and literally said out loud "I am buying one of these!" My wife just rolled her eyes (of course!) but I was determined. The very next week I had the chance to hold them and look through them at the NRA Convention in Phoenix. They were very cool looking with the camo job and looked super sharp, and I was really excited about the drop compensation for 55gr .223, since that is the round I shoot. Then I realized that I will never engage a coyote at 400 yards. Or even 200 yards. [beeep] I rarely engage one past 100 yards. And to be honest, the thing that drew me to it the most was the ARD on the front - which, after a little research, I found out I could get for my existing scope. In fact, I just posted a thread on it HERE.

So after all that excitement initially, I'll say that I don't want one anymore. If I was buying a new rig, sure, I'd probably try it out. But I have to agree with the other posts above about the aiming reticle - I want accurate shots, not just "fur" shots.

I don't see many posts on here from guys other than the topic starter who have actually used this scope.So if it is OK I will try to give you my analysis of the scope as I do own one.

I purchased a Remington Model 7 Predator in .17 Fireball. I wasn't necessarily happy with the fact it only came in Camo but I really liked the feel of this particular configuration so I decided to buy it anyway. The next problem was the problem of finding a matching scope since I didn't really want to put a black scope on a camo gun.

After a long search I came up with a grand total of (1) scope that was available in Mossy Oak Brush and that was the Nikon Coyote scope. I ordered the scope and since it was new, it was backordered for about 3 weeks.

Now that I have the scope, have it mounted on the gun and have shot several boxes of shells through it(None at Coyotes due to the time of the year) I will say that I really believe what several have stated that there is a need for either a center dot or a set of very fine center crosshairs.

I will start out by saying that I do see an advantage in having the circle for target acquisition and that I have found it nice to have an unobstructed view of the object when aiming at it, there is a great deal more involved in the initial sighting in of the rifle because there is no center reference to use when adjusting the windage and elevation adjustments.

What I mean is I have a target with a 1 inch bullseye and the circle at 100 yards is larger than that so you end up trying to center a circle inside another circle and that makes it difficult to focus on when trying to hit the dead center of the target. And then multiply that by the number of shots in your group. Basically you almost need to make a center bullseye the exact size that the circle of the reticle ends up being at the particular distance. Meaning if you sight in at 50,100,200 and 300 yards you would need multiple sized bullseyes to get the most accurate groups with this reticle.

Now, I have to confess that I don't shoot every day and that I am by no means an accomplished marksman.But then again if they are trying to sell a bunch of these scopes then my guess is that I do fit into their target market.

In closing I do see the rationale behind the idea and do feel it has merit, but without some sort of reference point in the middle of the scope I do not believe the majority of the people who but these scopes will be able to get the most out of their rifles with this design as is.

The above posts bring up a great point.....give consumers what they want.

I bet Nikon would sell a lot of scopes if they offered the coyote special in the current reticle AND a standard type crosshair, or variation of the circle with a crosshair or dot included.

There are different strokes for different folks, and to offer both would mean Nikon sells more scopes and makes more profit.

Quote:
The above posts bring up a great point.....give consumers what they want.

I bet Nikon would sell a lot of scopes if they offered the coyote special in the current reticle AND a standard type crosshair, or variation of the circle with a crosshair or dot included.

There are different strokes for different folks, and to offer both would mean Nikon sells more scopes and makes more profit.

IMHO they would have a winner with that one tweak.

I would buy one if they would change that aiming reticle. I think we all agree on that point - it's a great looking and functional scope, just needs one little tweak . . . . are you reading this Nikon guys?

Back many years ago, I was using a Redfield LE scope. It had a twin circle reticle. I was making consistant groupings with this rifle and loved the concept, just not for fur.

That being said, on a coyote gun, I need crosshairs. On a plinking or a man gun, the circle reticle is what I prefer. Everyone has different preferences.

I'm wondering why those of you who hunt in tight cover with typically close shots are even using centerfire rifles. Seems to me the best choice would be a shotgun or if nothing else a high power equipped with a red dot or iron sights...

Because even though I hunt in thick woods, there are shooting lanes where I can take a longer shot if need be. This is where I hunt in PA. In Jersey I have to use a shotgun by law.

Back