night vision scope or light?

Kevin, not sure if you watched the video. I wasn't scanning with the scope other than trying to find the coyote that was already behind the brush.

Skeet Jones who's land we were on was using a PVS7 goggle and scanning with my lightforce with the IR filter over the end. To him it was like any other night hunting trip other than scanning with a more narrow field of view. It still worked..

I was waiting for him to give me a signal something was coming in. The one thing that we could have done better since I had no goggle was to have him with a laser pointer or something so he could show me the position of the animal. I had no way to detect them other than to get in a general area and look for them.

In that video, that coyote was less than 150 yards out and covered that distance that fast. How would I have mounted the PVS14 on the rifle that fast in the dark going from scanning mode to shooting and be able to re-acquire the target in the time it took me to shoot it?

Having both goggle he was wearing and scope allowed me to concentrate on one task instead of two.

I think the overall key is landscape. What may work in some places isn't going to work in all. I wouldn't take a corvette to a Baja race no matter how fast it is.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: cjdavis618Kevin, not sure if you watched the video. I wasn't scanning with the scope other than trying to find the coyote that was already behind the brush.

Skeet Jones who's land we were on was using a PVS7 goggle and scanning with my lightforce with the IR filter over the end. To him it was like any other night hunting trip other than scanning with a more narrow field of view. It still worked..

I was waiting for him to give me a signal something was coming in. The one thing that we could have done better since I had no goggle was to have him with a laser pointer or something so he could show me the position of the animal. I had no way to detect them other than to get in a general area and look for them.

In that video, that coyote was less than 150 yards out and covered that distance that fast. How would I have mounted the PVS14 on the rifle that fast in the dark going from scanning mode to shooting and be able to re-acquire the target in the time it took me to shoot it?

Having both goggle he was wearing and scope allowed me to concentrate on one task instead of two.

I think the overall key is landscape. What may work in some places isn't going to work in all. I wouldn't take a corvette to a Baja race no matter how fast it is.
grin.gif

We normally spot them coming in with the PVS-14 or MX-160 monocular. Once spotted it takes 3 to 5 seconds to get the monocular on your scope and then you have to find it again. In really brushy environments it is difficult to find them no matter what setup you are using. Obviously having two NV units at work is better than one. But one unit also costs half as much as two. So depending upon your budget you have to make some tough decisions. Here in IL we force them to do their final approach in the open so there is plenty of time for the switch. If you have to hunt brushy areas and don't think there is enough time for the transition you can just use it in the connect mode and use your scope to scan with. This is hard to do, however, that is what you need to do with a dedicated NV riflescope. Nice video, how far can you shoot with the Pulsar with the IR setup you have with no ambient light (no moon, clouds)? Kevin

Back