Night time tripod users

So say I buy a a slik dx700 tripod from the hogsaddle onlone store and a pig saddle, what else will I need?

I'm confused on all the components without actually getting to see one

Originally Posted By: CSM52So say I buy a a slik dx700 tripod from the hogsaddle onlone store and a pig saddle, what else will I need?

I'm confused on all the components without actually getting to see one

In addition to the tripd and the Pig Saddle, you will need a ball head and a mounting plate. The ball head allows you to pan and tilt the rifle on the tripod.
The ball head attaches directly to the tripod. The mounting plate attaches the Pig Saddle to the ball head.
All of the ball heads that I looked at included the mounting plate but make sure that the one you choose does or you'll have to buy one separately.

Originally Posted By: GotEmOriginally Posted By: CSM52Any reviews on the kopfjager tripods and theit gun grip mounts. Switching to a tripod setup and need some options.

In no way, shape, or form do I think their mount is worth $300+. It's better than shooting sticks, but not much better, and way freaking heavier once you add a tripod. It is also useless for sighting in a rifle using the method where you shoot a group, then lock the crosshairs at the bullseye and walk the turret over to the group's center. I was really hoping it would be able to accomplish that. Just my opinion though.

I'm assuming you've owned and operated the Kopfjager Reaper Grip, to say it's not worth 300. And to say that "any" tripod is useful in sighting in a rifle is misleading. I would never use a tripod to try and "zero" my rifle then attempt to take it hunting, THEN think I have good enough zero for precision shots.

I've got the A4S (now ZRODelta) DCLW Head-S with the pic adapter and the cradle option, that's well over 500 just for the head, and it's worth every penny, if your serious about what you do.

I've also got the Kopfjager Ind. Reaper Grip mounted on a tripod that's also well over 400 and it's worth every penny you throw at it, if you are serious about what you do.

To the Op if you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me as we have extensive use with both set ups on multiple tripod and rifles, hunting at night with both set ups.

I saw a youtube video (captainberz homemade saddle shooting tripod) where he made a saddle out of a metal framing U with foam padding. Put a velcro strap over the top of the rifle so rifle will stay put without you holding it. Cost maybe $10 or so.

I wonder if some of you who have the trigger stick tripod think a DIY saddle would work. I thought this might be an inexpensive solution IF it will work.

What do the experienced think?

My plan was to bend aluminum in a "U" the diameter of my hand guard +1/8 and line it with rubber. It's hinged at a base of either aluminum or high strength plastic with a take up latch on the other side to secure the rifle. The base is then fitted to the quick release ball head. (I wouldn't rely on velcro holding a rifle at night while hunting).

My son just got the trigger stick tripod I'll have to take a look at how to make that connection. I'm just not sure the trigger stick is heavy enough.

Whether it is strong enough is the question all right.

Take a look at the youtube video I mentioned (its actually 3 parts). I think the guy has "real world" experience with his "model", as he has worn one out doing something.

I hope you can give some feedback on the trigger stick tripod with a saddle.

Can't believe they spent 30 minutes doing that, some guys like to hear themselves talk. I'm sure it would work but I wouldn't trust velrco I'd feel much better with a mechanical mount.

The trigger stick yoke is removable leaving the sticks with a threaded post to retrofit a home made saddle. Without a ball head I don't see it as much of an improvement.

The trigger sticks legs don't not lock into a fixed position like some of the tripods I've seen.

I have no experience with these camera tripods but would hope they are a little more rigid than the trigger sticks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmack
I have no experience with these camera tripods but would hope they are a little more rigid than the trigger sticks

Pmack, I can't speak about any tripod except the Manfrotto 055. It is not just a little more rigid than the trigger sticks, it is a LOT more rigid. There is really no comparison between the two.
I've wasted a lot of money on different gear over the years, but the tripod/ball head/Pig Saddle set up that I have was money very well spent.
Just like you I like to DIY when I can, but the Pig Saddle, at $135.00, is a good deal for what it does. It just works.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntr
Pmack, I can't speak about any tripod except the Manfrotto 055. It is not just a little more rigid than the trigger sticks, it is a LOT more rigid.

That's what i was hoping to hear.

That's what I'm looking for is sturdy and rigid, cause guess what, when our 2000+ dollar rifle and scope setup's smack the ground, that 200 bucks we saved on the cheap tripod will become a little less cheap

Originally Posted By: skinney I'm assuming you've owned and operated the Kopfjager Reaper Grip, to say it's not worth 300. And to say that "any" tripod is useful in sighting in a rifle is misleading. I would never use a tripod to try and "zero" my rifle then attempt to take it hunting, THEN think I have good enough zero for precision shots.

I was trying to lock the rifle down with the crosshairs on my target so I could adjust them. For $300, I think it should be able to accomplish this. It can't. If you don't care, that's ok.

I hunt with the Primos Jim Shockey tripod trigger sticks & the triclawps ( which I like ) rifle mount. It's the cheaper setup compared to what's been posted. I like the speed setting up the tripod but I don't trust it. First time the leg collapsed and the rifle slammed the ground I almost threw up. Turned out to be my fault, there is a little locking lever you have to turn to lock the legs I had forgot to turn.

Two more times one of the legs has collapsed and I had a hold of the set up to save it with the leg lock engaged. This tripod is not advertised to be used like this holding a rifle. I like the triclawps. I went cheap without a ball head also. Bottom line is as always WE GET WHAT WE PAY FOR !

This is not ment to bash any products, just my opinion & how I use their products.

Last edited:
There are several tripod options out there, it depends on what you want to do with it. If your not a die hard coyote hunter then don't spend a lot of money. I've been using tripod setups for seven years now and have tried setups from $100 to $1500. There's three components that you will need for a tripod setup. Mount (attaches rifle to tripod), Head, and legs. The options are endless and it really boils down to what you want to do with it. High End Heads ($350-500) DCLW, Apo RSTA II, RRS BH-55. These heads are some of the best out there. They have high weight ratings, the tension settings are extremely precise and the craftsmanship and quality of these heads are really good. Mid Range Heads ($160-300) Sirui k40x, Manfrotto 468mg, RRS bh-30. There are some great heads in this category and IMO one of the best heads out there under $300 is the manfrotto 468mg with q6 top lock. I personally own four of these heads and they have performed great for several years now. They retail for $265 and have a 35LB. weight rating. Low End Heads ($50-150) Manfrotto, Benro, Slik, Vanguard, Oben, etc. There's more options for heads in this category and there is some heads that will get the job done and are decent but they will not have the high weight ratings and are made with cheaper parts.

The next thing you will need is a set of legs. These can be broken down into three categories just like the heads. High end legs are typically carbon, RRS TVC 43,33,etc. Gitzo 5543, 3533,etc. Legs like these can cost from $800-1200. They have weight ratings up to 100lbs. Most wont have a center column and will accept 75-100mm bowl heads as well. They are very lightweight and don't have any flex within the legs. These legs with a quality head can be used to zero a rifle. They are used quite a bit in prs matches and guys can make consistent hits on these setups out to 1200 yards standing. The mid grade legs consist of carbon or aluminum. prices vary from $200-500. Manfrotto, giottos, sirui, induro,etc. weight ratings can vary from 18-30lbs. One of the best bank for your buck legs out there is the giottos ytl 9213. They retail for $200 and have a 22lb. weight rating, I have four sets of these legs and they work great. I have 16k in one of my rifles and I have been carrying it over my shoulder attached to the tripod for 5 years with zero issues of it falling off. The low end legs are like the low end heads. Light weight ratings, they will be made of cheap aluminum and will have flex and most likely cheap leg locks. They can still serve a purpose as a shooting rest but you will have no where near the stability as a premium setup.

Mounts will be the last thing you need for a tripod setup. I break these down into two categories. Saddle style mounts and direct attach mounts. saddle mounts consist of some sort of vice or clamp style mount. Hog saddle, Pig Saddle, triclawps, reaper, etc. These mounts work great because they will accept several different style rifle stocks. The prices vary from $100-350. Direct style mounts will interface from the stock or handguard directly to the head of your tripod. With that being said the qd plate or mount on your rifle must interface with the correct base on the top of your ball head. If its a arca swiss base on your head it must be a arca compatible plate on your rifle. Most of the newer tripod mounts out now are designed to be used with a 1913 pic, keymod or mlok on one side of the plate that attaches to your rifle and the other is machined to fit the base of their brand head. It could be arca, it could be a proprietary design from that head manufacturer. Really Right Stuff has some of the nicest mounts out for rifles under their SOAR line. There's also several companies out there that have designed mounts to attach to your rifle that will interface with a tripod head.

Some people will shy away at the cost of these setups, but if your a serious coyote hunter buy a solid setup and it will last a long time. If you plan on doing a lot of stand up shooting with your setup, then look into the carbon legs, less flex and that will make a big difference when your trying to shoot at 400+ yards. I hope this broke down the tripod setups for some people looking to get one or figure out what route or options they want to go with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kyle crickenbergerThere are several tripod options out there, it depends on what you want to do with it. If your not a die hard coyote hunter then don't spend a lot of money. I've been using tripod setups for seven years now and have tried setups from $100 to $1500. There's three components that you will need for a tripod setup. Mount (attaches rifle to tripod), Head, and legs. The options are endless and it really boils down to what you want to do with it. High End Heads ($350-500) DCLW, Apo RSTA II, RRS BH-55. These heads are some of the best out there. They have high weight ratings, the tension settings are extremely precise and the craftsmanship and quality of these heads are really good. Mid Range Heads ($160-300) Sirui k40x, Manfrotto 468mg, RRS bh-30. There are some great heads in this category and IMO one of the best heads out there under $300 is the manfrotto 468mg with q6 top lock. I personally own four of these heads and they have performed great for several years now. They retail for $265 and have a 35LB. weight rating. Low End Heads ($50-150) Manfrotto, Benro, Slik, Vanguard, Oben, etc. There's more options for heads in this category and there is some heads that will get the job done

and are decent but they will not have the high weight ratings and are made with cheaper parts.

The next thing you will need is a set of legs. These can be broken down into three categories just like the heads. High end legs are typically carbon, RRS TVC 43,33,etc. Gitzo 5543, 3533,etc. Legs like these can cost from $800-1200. They have weight ratings up to 100lbs. Most wont have a center column and will accept 75-100mm bowl heads as well. They are very lightweight and don't have any flex within the legs. These legs with a quality head can be used to zero a rifle. They are used quite a bit in prs matches and guys can make consistent hits on these setups out to 1200 yards standing. The mid grade legs consist of carbon or aluminum. prices vary from $200-500. Manfrotto, giottos, sirui, induro,etc. weight ratings can vary from 18-30lbs. One of the best bank for your buck legs out there is the giottos ytl 9213. They retail for $200 and have a 22lb. weight rating, I have four sets of these legs and they work great. I have 16k in one of my rifles and I have been carrying it over my shoulder attached to the tripod for 5 years with zero issues of it falling off. The low end legs are like the low end heads. Light weight ratings, they will be made of cheap aluminum and will have flex and most likely cheap leg locks. They can still serve a purpose as a shooting rest but you will have no where near the stability as a premium setup.

Mounts will be the last thing you need for a tripod setup. I break these down into two categories. Saddle style mounts and direct attach mounts. saddle mounts consist of some sort of vice or clamp style mount. Hog saddle, Pig Saddle, triclawps, reaper, etc. These mounts work great because they will accept several different style rifle stocks. The prices vary from $100-350. Direct style mounts will interface from the stock or handguard directly to the head of your tripod. With that being said the qd plate or mount on your rifle must interface with the correct base on the top of your ball head. If its a arca swiss base on your head it must be a arca compatible plate on your rifle. Most of the newer tripod mounts out now are designed to be used with a 1913 pic, keymod or mlok on one side of the plate that attaches to your rifle and the other is machined to fit the base of their brand head. It could be arca, it could be a proprietary design from that head manufacturer. Really Right Stuff has some of the nicest mounts out for rifles under their SOAR line. There's also several companies out there that have designed mounts to attach to your rifle that will interface with a tripod head.

Some people will shy away at the cost of these setups, but if your a serious coyote hunter buy a solid setup and it will last a long time. If you plan on doing a lot of stand up shooting with your setup, then look into the carbon legs, less flex and that will make a big difference when your trying to shoot at 400+ yards. I hope this broke down the tripod setups for some people looking to get one or figure out what route or options they want to go with.

Thanks for the info

Originally Posted By: kyle crickenbergerThere are several tripod options out there, it depends on what you want to do with it. If your not a die hard coyote hunter then don't spend a lot of money. I've been using tripod setups for seven years now and have tried setups from $100 to $1500. There's three components that you will need for a tripod setup. Mount (attaches rifle to tripod), Head, and legs. The options are endless and it really boils down to what you want to do with it. High End Heads ($350-500) DCLW, Apo RSTA II, RRS BH-55. These heads are some of the best out there. They have high weight ratings, the tension settings are extremely precise and the craftsmanship and quality of these heads are really good. Mid Range Heads ($160-300) Sirui k40x, Manfrotto 468mg, RRS bh-30. There are some great heads in this category and IMO one of the best heads out there under $300 is the manfrotto 468mg with q6 top lock. I personally own four of these heads and they have performed great for several years now. They retail for $265 and have a 35LB. weight rating. Low End Heads ($50-150) Manfrotto, Benro, Slik, Vanguard, Oben, etc. There's more options for heads in this category and there is some heads that will get the job done and are decent but they will not have the high weight ratings and are made with cheaper parts.

That write-up took some time and effort and both are appreciated, THANKS Kyle.

Love my Manfrotto Set up!!

2ir6v7k.jpg

Back