Night Activities

cockrill

Sponsor
I will use this thread to post about our night activities - me and local group ...

Here's my new VooDoo-ML ... a bae cored gen2 hybrid utm/utc ... good for 15x on the day scope, smaller and lighter than the utc.

53481465621_17206ddbe2_k.jpg

Yeah, putting a PoT ML on a 22LR is massive "overkill" ... but I'm doing it to learn the buttons on the ML, since I go out every night 2-3 times with the 22LR around the chickens.
So far this year I've gotten a coon, 2 opossum and 5 mice. Coon and opossum from 150 (with 556 - all rest with 22) and 100, 25 and all mice at 25. But I can verify the ML collimation is dead on, center punching the mice.

Normally I have olde armasight apollo 42 (640-30) on the 22LR which with the VO pst gen 2 is actually perfect - and after manually collimating it - I can take it off and put it back on and still hit mice.
52126660589_fd95c8ad77_k.jpg

Nothing wrong with that. When I first got thermal I mounted it on a 10/22 Ruger and shot rats at the chicken coop. That helped a lot with getting me familiar with the scope, buttons and menu.

2024-02-10

1800-2200

35F

10 MPH NNE

Goals: Reduce yote population in neighbor BILs pasture. Test Pot ML. Test Armasight Sidekick.

Environment: Windy, cool, partly cloudy. Orion and B dipper visible but cass and Polaris not visible. Pastures are mostly flat, woods to the SW, S and SE, open to the W, NW, N, NE and E. About 200 cattle visible and a few horses.

Equipment:
(cockrill) 762x51(16) L&S mk6 3-18x T3, Radius LRF, POT ML, Amax 155gr
N-Vision Nox-18, Armasight upgraded Sidekick-640, Breach, RRS+anvil 30.

(cantankerous) 6CM(20) Revic 4.7-28, I400 LRF, Theon ELR, Hndy 108 ELD, Breach, Tripod, Fox Pro, 3xoyster pans

Activities: Setup on roof of BIL’s corral (roof is 15 foot in the air, so ) the rifles were about 20 feet in the air, on the tripods.

SIDEKICK TESTING
Tested sidekick side by side with Nox-18 and Breach.
Startup process for sidekick. Turn on and let warm up for 10m with auto-nuc on and compass (and other display items) off. After 10m turn off auto-nuc.
Sidekick much improved and jerkiness is 90% reduced by turning off auto-nuc. We suspect this reduces the load on the CPU.
Sidekick overall performance is between Nox-18 and Breach. Sidekick leans towards the N18 in terms of detection and PID of critters and is similar to breach on terrain. We did not further adjust the SK and had the breach on “sea and sky”.

CRITTER CONTROL
We divided our scanning responsibilities into sectors. Primary anticipated yote ingress routes were to the West, so Cant started out with the W sector and I with the East. We alternated sectors about every 20m and also alternated between detailed scanning with the rifles and clip-ons vs general scanning with the handheld thermal monoculars.

We saw 7 yotes, 2 were at 0.75 miles and 2 others at 1.25 miles. Two came from SW and briefly stood on a pond berm, one for ~3secs and other for about 5secs, but we failed to complete fire distribution plan before they moved down the back side of the berm not to be seen again. We had the call going and their noses were pointed in the direction of the call during their brief stand on the berm. The call was about 150yds to their NW.

At one point we swapped guns (to swap sectors without moving the guns and to give each other a chance to see image the other had been seeing). I have to admit, I felt like on this night with the settings on both units, the ELR had a better image – I was surprised as on my land (forest) the ELR has a poorer image than the M. Then Cant reported seeing a yote coming in and before I could reorient (I was looking NE he was looking NW) he fired and I saw the yote not moving. It was DRT.

53522720801_80e88d176a_h.jpg

53523148105_f620f6defd_k.jpg

Pic of the 762x51 wth radius and M.

53521942257_0d304b5d34_k.jpg

Summary: The corral roof is a good firing point for critter control as we have better visibility and fields of fire than we would have on the ground. This was the 4th time we’ve been critter controlling together, we got 1 yote each time except the 3rd, when we were in a different location. That time I was flying a drone and Cant was the shooter setup in the middle of a soybean field. The yotes came in to within 200yds of us that time – but we never saw them as they were in a heavily wooded gully. The other 3 times we were on this corral roof.
We need to have a complete fire distribution plan worked out in advance. We had agreed before hand that I would take the far one and he would take the near one, but in the event the 2 yotes were within 5 feet of each other at the same distance. One was to the left and one to the right. Cant was to the left of me. He said “I’ll take the one on the left” and then they departed within 2 secs. They never looked our way, they were looking in the direction of the call, which was “yote barking” at the time, so no evidence they detected us. But we should not have had to say anything about the fire distribution plan. At most one word “Fire”.
There is also an alternate firing point SE of the berm (SSW of corral) where we could position one shooter, that would give field of fire behind that berm. Given that we have often seen yotes on or near that berm even when not critter controlling, we need to try putting one shooter down there. There’s a diagonal – radial from the corral - fence line that is perfect sector marker to make sure no one moves a barrel past that fence line to the S.
This was the first center fire rifle shot with the M since I got it. Evidence indicates the collimation is solid. Cant said the exit wound was reflective of his POA.

Last edited:
We got some new (chinese) GuideIR thermal scopes. GuideIR is a new brand but they are the OEM who makes the thermals distributed by many other brands such as Steiner, AGM, Bering and Burris. GuideIR's new strategy appears to be to also go more directly to the USA market, through dealers like us (SOK).

Here's a video (that's actually me, I don't usually appear in my videos ! :D )

And of the pasture ...

Those are from the 35mm 640 unit ... which was direct mounted to a manfrotto tripod that night (not on a weapon). The tree line on the ridge is average about 700yds from the thermal. The cattle are from 500yds to 650yds.

And here's the 384 25mm unit (optical magnification 2.4x) ... deer in S pasture are about 50yds, those in the N pasture about 200yds.

If you can put it in the cart, its in stock ... and we have another shipment on the way, including a new thermal clipon 640 50mm unit.

Thermal

FYI, the pricing on the 25mm 384 unit is $1,800 !

OK Mother's day sale ! If u can put it in the cart, its in stock and ready to ship ! Sampling of most popular sale units, others shown on the website: Guide Sensmart

640 50mm TWS Usually $3,199 sale price $2,799 Guide Sensmart TR650 TWS

640 35mm TWS Usually $2,799 sale price $2,499 Guide Sensmart TR630 TWS

384 50mm TWS Usually $2,349 sale price $2,049 Guide Sensmart TR450 TWS

==

The pic rail mounts for the clipons, will be ready to ship in June '24, but can also be pre-ordered now, for discount:

640 50mm Clipon Usually $3,699 sale price $3,199 Guide Sensmart TA651 Clip-On

384 35mm Clipon Usually $2,299 sale price $1,999 Guide Sensmart TA431 Clip-On

Let me know if any questions. These are made by the same folks that make the Steiners, Bering's, Burris, AGM, etc. Going via a more direct path to the USA commercial market, so you get the same quality for less $$.

Back