Next rifle. What to spend on?

JaxTeller

Title pretty much says it all. Looking for a dope learning rig - mostly to shoot at 100 and 200 yards at the range. Something to hone the skills with. Caliber will be 223. I love my T/C Venture in 204 and it shoots sub-moa groups even in my hands. Being that I currently don't reload... 204 gets spendy fast.

Trying to keep it in a "budget" range.

So far I have 3 picked out.

Tikka T3 Lite. Like the 8 twist. Smooth bolt and nice trigger.
Ruger American - 8 twist. Budget rifle. Local has it for 369 + tax and I can put it on layaway.
T/C - heavier than the 2 mentioned, but my 204 shoots great. Can wait till July and hopefully get in on another Mail in rebate, like I did last year.

Which one of these? Am I missing anything else out there?

Thanks,

JT

What do you have against the savage rifles? I know, the stocks are horse [beeep], but you put and after market stock on it and it look, feel and shoot like a dream and still be cheaper than the tikka.

Originally Posted By: wargeWhat do you have against the savage rifles? I know, the stocks are horse [beeep], but you put and after market stock on it and it look, feel and shoot like a dream and still be cheaper than the tikka.

I have nothing against Savage's. I have three. But of the three choices, out of the box, I lean toward the Tikka's.

Of the three you mention, I also would select the Tikka. Another I would also suggest, is the Weatherby Vanguard II. I have one in 22-250 and could not be more pleased.

The Weatherby

My first 12 rounds.

I'm working on some loads that will hopefully improve on these groups. Good luck in your quest.

I don't own a tikka, but I've had two vanguards and several other howa's. All but one has shot like target posted above, and they feel more solid than any other rifle in their price range.

Originally Posted By: wargeWhat do you have against the savage rifles? I know, the stocks are horse [beeep], but you put and after market stock on it and it look, feel and shoot like a dream and still be cheaper than the tikka.

Not a thing against the Savages. I have one a Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm-08. That is my go-to deer rifle. Perfect balance of weight, recoil and feel. I'd get another one, but looking for something a little different on the next one.

Originally Posted By: DW HannaOf the three you mention, I also would select the Tikka. Another I would also suggest, is the Weatherby Vanguard II. I have one in 22-250 and could not be more pleased.

The Weatherby

My first 12 rounds.

I'm working on some loads that will hopefully improve on these groups. Good luck in your quest.

Can't do a multi-quote reply. But to the 2 replies who mention Vanguards: I have a Howa 1500 in 7mm-08. I had fun doing the break-in and that thing is a tack driver as well.

The weight and the 24" barrel is something that is keeping me from the Vanguard. But, again it is going to be mostly a bench rifle... so I guess that should be OK. I'll add it to my short list.

Did the Vanguard come with break-in instructions? The Howa did and 20 shots (clean after each shot for first 10, then clean after every 2 for next 10).. painful, but a good shooter.

If you are going to mostly beach shooting, a heavier gun is preferred. And even walking with a 10# or less rifle isn't too hard. I think the Howa 1500 bbl/action in its many variants is too commonly overlooked.

Originally Posted By: JaxTellerOriginally Posted By: DW HannaOf the three you mention, I also would select the Tikka. Another I would also suggest, is the Weatherby Vanguard II. I have one in 22-250 and could not be more pleased.

The Weatherby

My first 12 rounds.

Can't do a multi-quote reply. But to the 2 replies who mention Vanguards: I have a Howa 1500 in 7mm-08. I had fun doing the break-in and that thing is a tack driver as well.

The weight and the 24" barrel is something that is keeping me from the Vanguard. But, again it is going to be mostly a bench rifle... so I guess that should be OK. I'll add it to my short list.

Did the Vanguard come with break-in instructions? The Howa did and 20 shots (clean after each shot for first 10, then clean after every 2 for next 10).. painful, but a good shooter.

I didn't receive any break-in instructions as I purchased it used, but I believe the instructions I read on line indicated something like you describe. As to weight, I'm not a big fan of synthetic stocks, most either feel flimsy or like a plastic brick, but the Vanguards just feel right. It's not heavy, but feels solid, maybe 8lbs with scope and bi-pod, give or take. From a bench, properly sighted in with a quality scope, single hole groups should be easy.

Also think of resale, or a trade value down the road, some brands are very hard to sell.

This gun will maintain it's value in spades and will challenge your ability to shoot:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/561583434

the 112 is a single shot, solid bottom

Also, think of the "platform" your rifle has to re barrel and make a semi custom off of. The Savage 112 is nothing short of awesome.

While this rifle is almost twice your budget, save longer to get it because this one is worth it.

this Savage is more in line with your budget:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/561015330

Last edited:
Let us know how u make out, i just went through this same ordeal in choosing a .223 bolt action...i ended up with a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Range Certified model...im anxiously awaiting my scope mounts should be here Wed/Thurs.

Originally Posted By: JaxTellerSo far I have 3 picked out.

Ruger American - 8 twist. Budget rifle. Local has it for 369 + tax and I can put it on layaway.
T/C - heavier than the 2 mentioned, but my 204 shoots great. Can wait till July and hopefully get in on another Mail in rebate, like I did last year.

Off of this list, I'd pick the Tikka.

But I must admit, none of these would make my list.

If you ever want to put on a custom barrel, Howa, vanguard, Cz, have metric threads, and can be very problematic on the guys that are willing to re barrel them. ON the other hand, savage pre fits that re unreal accurate can be had from numerous sources.

Many very good features are available on the new Rem 783, in addition to an adjustable accutype trigger, barrel nut like savage, Savage type floading bolt head that can be interchanged, and steel detachable magazines. Accuracy gunsmiths checked how true the 783's were machined and many reported that they were better than some customs that they had on hand.

the price is right

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: JaxTellerSo far I have 3 picked out.

Off of this list, I'd pick the Tikka.

But I must admit, none of these would make my list.

What would be your pick?

Back