Newfoundland yotes normal or something more?

I would like to hear the "obvious reason ". It sure looks like a domestic to me but I am no authority on your area and the DNR should know.

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleI would like to hear the "obvious reason ". It sure looks like a domestic to me but I am no authority on your area and the DNR should know.

I'd wager on coyote/king shepherd mix..but if DNR sais coyote/wolf hybrid..I guess it is lol... the pelt must be worthless so he had it stuffed ..I would not be surprised if anytime soon we see fox/coyote or some such mix!

Try shooting the dark ones and leave the light ones for a few years. You might find a special niche for newfyotes!

Originally Posted By: Doc25Try shooting the dark ones and leave the light ones for a few years. You might find a special niche for newfyotes!

I don't think getting rid of the dark ones will be possible ..a guy on our local site asked if anyone is seeing black coyotes ..well this guy posted some he got..snared I think..,we may very well have our own breed in the future..

Last edited:
Hey guys how are you all doing..great i hope...well anyway coyote hunting on the Island is rather slow as of late we are not seeing much, so i have gave up on them for a while till they populate more areas ..a resident of a town near here managed to get something in his Snare yesterday and i figured i would share with you guys.. its a interesting ...Something..But What lol!

It looked smaller when it was strapped to his ATV ..I'm guessing 60Lbs maybe more ..it could be a wolf but some of it's characteristics look a little coyote..there has only been four wolves found on the island so far and a estimated coyote population of only a mere 10,000 animals...how these animals are getting on the island is beyond my understanding ..i may have to dust off the old 22-250 and give it another go..myself i have only killed two coyotes..and i tried for the last two years to get more but had no luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LodgepoleNewfie what do you think it might weigh?Is the tail a bit short ? Thanks for the pics.
Appears to be a grey wolf they are saying ..only 60Lbs it was sent in for testing last week to make sure..I still remember my first phone call to the department of fish and wildlife a couple years ago and asked questions about predators..."Sir there are NO WOLVES on the Island of Newfoundland..what you are seeing is nothing more then large coyotes"...lol!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LodgepoleThat is interesting !Do you have deer or caribou there ?
We have Caribou that are native to the Island..they appear to be on the decline ..They brought in moose way before my time and now they are everywhere but are slowly starting to decline...they decided not to bring in deer ..something about a brainworm..and it might kill the caribou so the idea was passed on..other then that the only other big game animal is the black bear...And now we have a small population of Coyote estimated to be around 10,000 and a small unkown number of wolves and Lynx...oh and there have been reports of large black cats..but no evidence as of yet..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootDo they howl and bark funny too. The couple Newfies I met I couldn't understand a dang thing they said.
Monster coyotes for sure.

Go 'way 'by, mainlanders just talk slow is all
wink.gif

Newfboy, what part of the island are you on? I'm on the Avalon. I put out the head and skins from this year's moose last week as bait, hopefully it draws a few in. This will be my first year trying at the coyotes. Killed a few wolves when I lived in Labrador, but have yet to see a live coyote.

Originally Posted By: rush709Originally Posted By: crapshootDo they howl and bark funny too. The couple Newfies I met I couldn't understand a dang thing they said.
Monster coyotes for sure.

Go 'way 'by, mainlanders just talk slow is all
wink.gif

Newfboy, what part of the island are you on? I'm on the Avalon. I put out the head and skins from this year's moose last week as bait, hopefully it draws a few in. This will be my first year trying at the coyotes. Killed a few wolves when I lived in Labrador, but have yet to see a live coyote.

right on by'e.. i'm from in north central a couple of towns outside grand falls..I've shot two so far but have not had any luck in the last year or two ..I didn't shoot them with any fancy predator rifle or expensive call. I took them with a old 1950 SKS 7.62x39 which i modified a small bit to get better accuracy and my call was a really cheap handheld which happened to have a little remote.Once i bought all the other "Proper" gear..as people say...I have not even so much as seen another coyote.
I started this Thread to show other off Islanders the type of coyote we are seeing and dealing with so when i see a unique looking photo from ourown facebook hunting site i post it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Newfboy
I started this Thread to show other off Islanders the type of coyote we are seeing and dealing with so when i see a unique looking photo from ourown facebook hunting site i post it!

Which facebook group is that? I occasionally check out the totallyoutdoorsnl site, but I'm not on any of the local facebook hunting groups.

Originally Posted By: rush709Originally Posted By: Newfboy

Which facebook group is that? I occasionally check out the totallyoutdoorsnl site, but I'm not on any of the local facebook hunting groups.

That would be "Coyote Hunting in Newfoundland"..it started off as a pretty good site ..but now nobody shares any tips or information ..all i see is a few pictures of downed coyotes every once and a while..or questions that do not really get answers. I am also on the TotallyoutdoorsNL site ..i have pictures of the coyotes that i killed with the SKS there.. I have been on Predator masters for a little while now looking for any tips or information that would help.

Originally Posted By: Lodgepolewhat do you think it is ?

I would have to say...Hybrid coyote..or Coy-wolf, Coy-dog..it is getting harder to tell lately..one was seen last month by a guy heading out to his car..heard what sounded like a growl..turned and 6 feet away from him was the biggest coyote he had ever seen..claimed it dwarfed his 70LB dog...I think our caribou are going to be in trouble in the near future...

Back