boomer68

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Never tried predator hunting before and want to give it a go. Been big game hunting and gopher shooting. Looking for good instructional videos to help me get going. I’m in Alberta (if that makes any difference lol)

Welcome aboard.

If you go to the very beginning of this section SnowmanMo has done a series of how to posts, good reading.

I'm not a much of a video guy. Foxpro has a predator hunting vids on YouTube along with some from other name predator callers.

"Predator Calling with Gerry Blair" is a good book for learning to call.

If you can find a copy Tony Tebbe Has a video series called "So you want to be a predator hunter/caller" that is pretty good. It is filmed in the southwest but the principals work just about everywhere.

Good luck to you

Should probably start with your goals and equipment you currently have?

Do you plan on getting a couple hand calls or will you invest in an e-caller?

When I think Alberta, I think you’ll call to wooded areas from open fields, so you’ll be using a rifle. Do you plan and saving fur or just thinning them down a bit? Your caliber of choice will matter!

Stripped down perfect how to… get a call, grab a rifle, sit with sun behind to and wind in your face or crosswind. Sound like something getting chewed on or another coyote. Shoot them when they show themselves! Simple! Lol…

Welcome to the madness. Lots of great information on this site.

Thanks for the reply. Currently have two rifles. One in 222 Remington and the other a HB 22-250. No other equipment yet except winter camo. Was thinking of buying an e-caller but so many to choose from! Not really worried about saving fur.

Good start on the rifles, either will work on coyotes and neither are hard on fur. Lots of calls out there to choose from; do your homework on those.

Stripped down perfect how to… get a call, grab a rifle, sit with sun behind to and wind in your face or crosswind. Sound like something getting chewed on or another coyote. Shoot them when they show themselves! Simple! Lol…
That's about it in a nutshell. :LOL: Yotarunner would be an excellent source of information for coyote hunting in Alberta and he's pretty knowledgeable on calls to boot.

10 daytime coyotes solo!

Welcome to PM, have fun!

Welcome aboard. Lots of info to be found under the search caption but be prepared to spend hours--can be addicting

ALWAYS the wind should blow from you and the ecaller to an area where you can kill the coyote before it smells, sees you. Scouting so you know where the coyote is before starting to call helps. They see (movement) all most as well as they hear and smell.

I would go with an e-caller, but check up on the rules of what you can legally kill in your area while using one.

As for brands.... IMO Lucky Duck and FoxPro are probably the better choices right now. Lucky Duck calls are really good quality and have really good sound. The number one thing that FoxPro has going for them is their exclusive agreement with MFK. MFK sounds are awesome.

Camo.... Most of the time I don't even wear camo. Just have a good backdrop and learn to be still.

YouTube... Is your best friend. Get on there and watch videos. Watch MFKs videos, they are good. "The last stand" with Geoff Nemnich and Rick Paillet is really good because they do a lot of explaining and not just setting up and killing stuff.

A good shooting rest is a must. For night hunting I use a BOG Death Grip tripod. For day hunting I use a bipod also made by BOG.

Guns.... you have that covered.

Ammo....varmint/predator ammo that is loaded with bullets like hornady's vmax, nosler's ballistic tip, etc. tend to do better on coyotes than more solid bullets that are designed for lager game such as deer.

Well, just picked up a used like new Foxpro Inferno. Might not be the best, but should get me going. I will check out YouTube, thanks. I guess it doesn’t really matter what bullet weights I use? Probably take both rifles. 50-55gr?

50-55 gr bullets are fine. As mentioned, try to use bullets intended for varmints like Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady V-Max. There are many others as well. Doesn’t hurt to either search these boards or ask what bullets are working for others with the caliber’s you’ll be using.

Try to aim for a broadside coyote farther forward than you would on a deer. Align your vertical crosshair with the front leg on a perfectly broadside coyote. It doesn’t hurt to favor just a little high as well. IMO, nothing plants them on the spot like a high shoulder hit.

We’re right in the meat of breeding season so it’s a great time to use coyote vocals. It’s pretty beneficial to learn what different vocalizations mean tho before you just start throwing them out there. Play it safe with lone howls and pair howls until you get a bit more educated on their meanings and when to use them. Often the howls you throw out will trigger a response and you’ll have an idea where to focus your attention. Don’t be afraid to throw out distress sounds sfter that response.

If you do manage to knock one down go immediately into pup distress or kiyi sounds. A good amount of times that will pull in a second one.

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to getting out and giving it a try. One other question. What range do you zero your rifle at? 2” high at 100yds or do you use BDC reticle?

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to getting out and giving it a try. One other question. What range do you zero your rifle at? 2” high at 100yds or do you use BDC reticle?
That depends a lot on you and your hunting style and terrain. Day vs night, tight fields or expansive croplands for example. You know your area and abilities better than anybody else. Just keep in mind that the kill zone of a coyote isn’t nearly as big as an Alberta whitetail, and once you peel that fluffy hide off of one they’re smaller yet than you think they are!

Good luck!

Welcome to an exciting and often neglected sport. I adore predator hunting for several reasons. First, it often requires hitting small targets at long range, which makes it great for lovers of precision rifles and optics. Second, predators--coyotes especially--are some of the most intelligent and challenging game animals to pursue. Third, if you live in area where livestock is raised, ranchers will almost always welcome a predator hunter. It's always good to see some new blood enter the fold.

Back