New to AR's.......Yes or No??

Savage,go for the AR platform,it was invented to kill coyotes!(as well as VietCong and NVA)LOL!!
Noone who loves firearms and hunting should be without one or more!!

The OLY 22-250 is available but so proprietary it is a pain. Cramming that case in there is a challenge in an AR15 calling f I think bigger barrel extensions and massaged uppers to fit.

The 20 Practical is a viable substitute and, IMHO, is equal to the 204 and cheaper to shoot if you want to go down to a 20. I have not seen one that wouldn't shoot and I know of at least a dozen that are out making inroads in the population. Certainly effective down range but as noted the energy isn't there like the bigger case.

If you want to step up to a close to 22-250 you could go with a 22X6.8 that was developed by Ritch and myself for BHW. They flat shoot and will work wonders on anything you can hit. Ritch has built several and it may be my favorite PD round. He can hook you up with a complete upper or just a barrel that will make you smile all day long.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I'd normally recommend building one also.

Predator Technology just started offering what seems to be a nice rifle right under 1k w/o scope.

http://store.predatortechnologygroup.com/product-p/ptg15fe.htm

We are pleased to offer the Average Joe rifle, named after one of our team members, for $674.99 + shipping to your FFL. We tried to build the features into this rifle that many of us wished that we had in our first AR-15. It starts with a 16in 4150 barrel, 1:9 twist, full floating hand guard built on a forged upper and lower, with a 10 position Limbsaver stock. This rifle would be a great starter and will give you years of hunting.

95d227c83d9c4c3717b241ef6d434888 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

Here is a group that was shot by the Paul, the winner of the PM convention rifle that we donated with the same barrel.

DSC02390 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

Looking for a little bit more rifle? We also offer the Forged Elite. Built on the forged upper and lower, it has a 15in key mod hand guard, a 16 or 18in stainless barrel, muzzle brake, Limbsaver collapsible stock, LF3 3lb trigger and Hogue grip for $969.99 without optics or $1239.99 with scope + shipping to your FFL.

a2a983d0ef85e2a0bb51162a6dc62b28 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

We think that we have come up with a couple good recipes for a wide variety of shooters but if there is something specific that you would like to know about feel free to send us a PM.

Thanks for your support guys.

Last edited:
These are also very nice rifles. And I haven't found a game animal in my area that my 223 can't handle with good hqndloads and ethical shooting

These are also very nice rifles. And I haven't found a game animal in my area that my 223 can't handle with good hqndloads and ethical shooting

Originally Posted By: reaper4Same trajectory but not the same energy. 223 can do practically everything a 204 can do and its really not too far behind the 250. I think Olympic arms made a 22-250 Ar at one time but I read of some issue's. I'm sure it could be done

Have you ever seen the 223 ballistics I have a 223 nothing against them but I would choose something else for anything over 300 yrds.

Yes I have seen them. I really don't get hung up on the balistics. I have killed coyotes well over 300 with a 223. I know its not the best caliber for those shots, but when I only get maybe one shot over 300 a year I see no reason to carry another rifle. I have killed sika deer at some pretty long ranges for a 223 and I haven't seen a real lack of killing power with it. I know other calibers may be better, but for me it has worked well

I agree Budd my calling partner is a 204 fenatic and for a predator rifle, I have not found it to lack anything at all

i got my 223 first, it'll do a lot of things.

once you have that, there's no reason you cant build/buy a .204 down the road.

thats one of the best htings about an ar. switching calibers can be as simple as two pins and sometimes a different magazine.

Originally Posted By: reaper4Yes I have seen them. I really don't get hung up on the balistics. I have killed coyotes well over 300 with a 223. I know its not the best caliber for those shots, but when I only get maybe one shot over 300 a year I see no reason to carry another rifle. I have killed sika deer at some pretty long ranges for a 223 and I haven't seen a real lack of killing power with it. I know other calibers may be better, but for me it has worked well

Yah,Reaper, your right especially in Maine!!!

New to the AR. Buy one in .223 with a good barrel, good trigger, and free float tube of your choice. I like Black Hole Weaponry barrels, so Ritch Johnson would be my go-to guy if I did not build myself-(I do, but don't recommend it for your first). If you decide you like them, you might want to build your next in a more exotic caliber. I have them in .223, .204, .17-223, and 6.5 Grendel, with a 6 x 45 in process. I would not however recommend building for your first, or anything other than the .223, unless you are really a gun tech kind of guy and experienced re-loader.

Originally Posted By: savagesupersniperBeen a bolt action guy my whole life! Maine hunter, who loves hunting coyotes along with all the other Maine game. I have a $1000 dollars to spend, what is the way I should lean......Build one, buy one, and caliber????? Or add to my bolt collection???? Would appreciate input greatly!

I agree with Baystate. Every coyote hunter needs an AR. I picked mine up from CMMG bargain bin for $600. Shot great right out of the box (1/2MOA). Added a Leaupold, Timmney trigger and some Magpul furniture and I'm still under a grand.
wink.gif

For strickly coyotes I would choose a 243. But there are a lot of fox and some bobcats too so I opted for the .223 even though .223 is too hot for fox but what are you gonna do if wiley shows up?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223That Average Joe looks like a nice rifle !!

Thanks Widow Maker. We really tried to make a rifle that we thought that hunters would appreciate. Rather than buying an off the shelf and trying to force it to do the job we tried to build with the job in mind first. Lessons learned from my first AR buying experience years ago.

Originally Posted By: cmatera New to the AR. Buy one in .223 with a good barrel, good trigger, and free float tube of your choice. I like Black Hole Weaponry barrels, so Ritch Johnson would be my go-to guy if I did not build myself-(I do, but don't recommend it for your first). If you decide you like them, you might want to build your next in a more exotic caliber. I have them in .223, .204, .17-223, and 6.5 Grendel, with a 6 x 45 in process. I would not however recommend building for your first, or anything other than the .223, unless you are really a gun tech kind of guy and experienced re-loader.

Excellent advice. A man after my own heart.

I'm very confused that someone is suggesting that the 223rem isn't suitable for 300yrd+ coyotes, but is fixing the 204 Ruger into that qualification, simply because it has the same TRAJECTORY as the 22-250... [beeep]?

Little bullets are still little bullets. 39grn 204R's never hit as hard as a 50grn 223rem.

Let alone the fact that the range advantage of the 22-250 over the 223rem is largely over rated in my experience anyway. If you can hold-over 5ft at 600yrds, you can hold over 7ft, and the energy and momentum difference really doesn't make much difference in killing potency. I started on a 22-250, got tired of burning extra powder to be able to say I was running 150fps faster...

Back