New suppessed 243 tikka

g Bo

I've been shooting AR's the past year. I now own several suppressors and am committed to use them on all my rifles. I have really enjoyed them. I now have one on a bolt action 243. Its so quiet it actually sounds like a whimppy little peashooter. It's awesome when the THWAP sound of the vmax striking the coyote sounds louder than the muzzle blast. I have only shot five shots from the new 243 at coyotes so far (last 10 days) and haven't missed yet. Even though the muzzle blast sounds so harmless when I get over to the coyote there is so much carnage it is almost disturbing. Fur is not my guns friend for sure. Even watching Skinneys many videos I didn't realize how nice suppressed actually is when you shoot. I like it! I like it a lot!

That's awesome! I'm still waiting on my SAS... and plan to use it on my Tikka T3 22-250 and have plans to pick up a .243 in a Tikka as well. What length is the barrel on your .243?

Originally Posted By: Str8ShooterThat's awesome! I'm still waiting on my SAS... and plan to use it on my Tikka T3 22-250 and have plans to pick up a .243 in a Tikka as well. What length is the barrel on your .243?

It is 22.5 inches here's a pic

Originally Posted By: g BoOriginally Posted By: Str8ShooterThat's awesome! I'm still waiting on my SAS... and plan to use it on my Tikka T3 22-250 and have plans to pick up a .243 in a Tikka as well. What length is the barrel on your .243?

It is 22.5 inches here's a pic

I like that. Looks like a high speed low drag set up, especially for your terrain!

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrWas there enough barrel for a good threading job on the factory barrel?

I'm having LRI do the threading on my T3 Lites using their jam nut setup like on Smokerroller's rifle here: http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hi...3-thread?page=8 The muzzle of the factory barrel is right around .625 which is the same as the 5/8x24 thread. LRI threads it then installs a jam nut so your suppressor has something to shoulder up against. I like this process better than threading it 1/2x28 (making it kind of thin between the bore) and using a 5/8x24 adapter.

Last edited:
I was curious, bc I am having a tikka profiled barrel threaded but we chopped off an inch to get enough barrel for proper threads. I have heard LRI does good work but never could get a return phone call or email returned. It sounds like they have a good work around for tikkas.

I'm going to have LRI thread my T3 Lites in .270 and .243 with the jam nuts. Since they are higher velocity cartridges the most I would chop them down is from the factory 22 7/16" to 22" even, just to make it a tad easier for them to thread. I'm surprised you didn't get a reply...they are super busy but I've usually gotten through.

If anyone has pictures of the jam nuts being used I would be interested in seeing. I am not trying to throw LRI under the bus, I own business and understand we all get really busy. I will most likely try them again for my next tikka build.

The only picture I have found is from the link in my previous post. It's just a jam nut that threads on and stops when the threads end, providing a shoulder for the suppressor. The jam nut doesn't need the .100" minimum shoulder clearance like a suppressor should have so if the barrel contour is .635 on the Tikka with 5/8" threads, that .010" clearance is sufficient. ***(I'm guessing that's how it works)

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrWas there enough barrel for a good threading job on the factory barrel? Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrWas there enough barrel for a good threading job on the factory barrel?

Yes, it turned out real nice. I had it threaded the same as my ARs

Back