New Steyr

SteveM

Moderator - Deceased
Steyr will introduce a SBS Varmint verion of the 22-250 with a 1 in 9 Twist! Although it should have been a 1 in 8 twist, this is a start. Will be the only factory 22-250 capable of shooting the heavy high BC bullets. Hope it will shoot the 75 A-Max and not be limited to the 69's only.

Steyr have always put out extra nice/accurate stuff.Pricey but cosmetically sweet.They use a nicer steel also. Thanks for the warning Steve! LOL

jerryboy

Hate to bust your bubble but the worst product support I ever had was from Steyr. I have 2 Prohunters.The cheepo stocks with the flimsey fore end on the early Prohunters gave 3" groups at 100 yards. The upgraded stocks are not available. I need a small piece for my Forester Stock and they can't produce it. You always get a BS story about the problem is in Austria. Buy a Ruger, Remington, CZ, Browning because you will get product support.

I respect your opinion but those are the cheesebag line from them. Most new models are subletted as are anything now a days.
I also see that they can be ordered with reinforced stocks.
Anyone knows that very few rifles have shot that good with pencil bbls. Those rifles are not gonna' be that accurate to begin with.Savage has a better product with their floppy stocks.
As far as customer support,you are buying a import rifle.Common knowledge tells me it will be non-existant.
Those lightweight hunters are not made for accuracy.Not saying they cannot be of quality mechanically;just that they were designed for something else.
Those lightweight hunters are made for the lazy businessman who want to run to wally world the day before their $6000 moose hunt and buy a rifle.The POI will change with every shot. Guides have to practically shoot the game themselves.That's why they make sure guys can hit a pie plate at 5 ft. lol.And function the rifle.
I bought a low end Savage from a member here last year ans its the 111 hunter version.Pensil bbl and all.
I got it to group 1/2" in with an oddball load.Do I expect that? No way.Will it do it for a few shots? Heck no, the bbl is so lightweight and tapered that it gets hot with 60+ gr. of extreme powder going off that it's almost hot after 1 round.So getting it to give an honest group took hours and boxs of $1 a shot ammo.The stock is also floppy as heck.
Many more things than a word come into play with rifles and given quality.
Shooter ability#1.The rest falls under that.
If it was so disapointing ,why did you buy 2?
When I buy a box rifle,before I take it out and fire it,I check it out thouroughly.We shouldn't have to do that but I like to know things are in order to the best of my ability.
Those stocks are reinforcable yourself very easily.
I bought a couple older Police sniper versions from a military importer many years ago and they are definately a couple of my favorite rifles.
I just found some good reviews on your version.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=229939

If you were getting 3 in groups from a Steyr,something definately was amiss.

jerryboy

I have shot Steyr's for over 25 years and have never eperienced a problem. Those stocks you speak of are pretty bad but one of my shooting buddies had two SBS .308's that would shoot as well as his 3000.00 match rifle built by David Tubb. They are the most accurate rifle out of the box made.

I can understand your problem. Steyr has had several importers over the years before opening their new factory here in the US. Parts and accessories were hard to come by from these folks in the past as Steyr almost went out of business a few years ago. The guys that were importing them did not care if you got customer service or not.

What part are you needing?

I have a Steyr Mannlicher Luxus in 7X57 that I bought in the early 80's. It is one beautiful example of rifle building. It is extremely accurate, and I am not sure if it is because of the rifle or the Ziess scope that is on it but it never changes it's point of impact. Sight it in with the load you want and if you don't bother shooting it until the next season it is still where you want it. I haven't actually shot this rifle for the last several years but I let a friend's wife borrow it for her first deer hunt this year. Laid the rifle on the bench pulled out a box of my reloads and it hit right where I wanted it. Great rifle!
Good luck,
Tuco
p.s. friends wife took a nice 12 pt. whitetail with it!

If you look close enough to my piture next to my name, you can see that I am a Steyr fan. I just love these guns and are very excited about their new factory opening in the USA. The steyrs have the sweetest trigger and most accurate rifle out of the box I have ever used. Well worth the price.

They might stabilize the 75 Amax, my 1 in 9 .223 will, but it is kinda borderline.I have to push them as hard as I can. With the extra push from the 250, they ought to do fine. Been thinking about rechambering my .223 to something bigger to get a little extra push from it. Mine has a 26" barrel on it. lp

So where and when does the new Steyr plant open in the USA? I heard they are going to make the Steyr AUG in the new plant, which would make for a more affordable gun. Anyoe have a clue?

I purchased two at the same time based on their reputation. If I removed the rubber barrel support at the forend and was careful to place the rest near the front action bolt then they would shoot. But if you want to add a Bipod forget it unless you get the later stock with the re-enforced foreend. I have shot 1" at 200 yards X 3 shots but placement on the front was critical,. When I shoot offhand in hunting situations, the stock forend is not critical. They can't/or won't sell me an insert that is under the foward action screw below the Forester stock. I'll resort to having my own made. I like the smooth feel of the action and I am willing to work with them.

Yes, They can't get the part from Austria and Steyr in Austria doesn't respond to my emails. I have spent hours on the phone with "Jack" in customer service with no help. BTW How do I find the rules for the upcoming Predatormasters hunt in Globe, AZ ?

Back