NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

I had the same problem with open chokes and buck shot. The tighter the choke I tried the better the buck shot pattern in my gun. BBs seem to be a bit more forgiving and worked well in Full, X-Full and the turkey choke.

Red Dot that Savage looks awsome all cut down..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Great looking brush gun.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Amazing the 4 buck didn't do anything for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Would it be a worthwhile adventure to put screw in chokes in the Savage??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Dogboy,
I checked with my smith today and It would cost more than the shotgun is worth to thread it for a choke, he would have to send it to California to a firm Called Bratleys. It shoots good enough with BB's to kill a coyote.
Jerry

ok here is a twist to this. What about a 20 gauge? Maybe not enough pellets but still good killing power? Just wonder cause I have one set up for turkeys that could maybe work for yotes. Just throwing it out there. Let me know what you guys think.

Brandon

I am by far no expert on this, but I dont see why it wouldnt.

if you still get a good pattern at whatever range you choose to limit yourself to.

I say go for it if its what you have.

Dave

Serious coyote medicine are the .12 and .10 gauges. With that said, I just bought my wife a little 870 Youth .20 gauge and intend to do some work with it. The .20 gauges don't have much shot and there aren't many loads available for them that are really well suited to predators. A quick look the other night at a catalog showed some Hevi-Shot 3" .20 gauge #2's that might make a passable load within 30-35 yards.

About 5 years ago I reloaded some 20 ga 2-3/4" 1 oz loads of lead BBB. I reloaded these shells for kids to shoot at coyotes. The only coyote that I have seen shot with these loads died on the spot but he was only 25 yards away.

Yeah I was looking at that hevi shot stuff for the 20. I have a double barrel twelve gauge with a double bead on it. The double bead would probably work to aim with right? Not quite scope or open sights, but close.

I might hafta start handloading. 3.5 inch BBB's of nickel plated lead would be nice for alot of things. 2.5 ounce turkey loads would be kinda cool too but nitros are to pricey for me.

I wonder if the wad is part of the problem you see with the Remington ammo? It makes me re-think buying a flat while the rebate is going on. Maybe the BB is better than T ????

With an O/U sometimes one barrel patterns well with one choke and ammo, and the other barrel with a completely different combo.

GC, thanks for getting ahead of the curve with the tungsten tests.

No pictures but I shot some today with my 870. I shot Federal 3" Copper BB 1 7/8oz, Remington 870 21" barrel and I had 3 chokes, Kick's .660, Kick's .665, and a Hastings bored to .687 with wad catchers. I figured the Hastings would be the winner with larger shot as it is awesome from my other 870, but it I use it as a turkey gun and I just wanted to mess with this gun. The .687 @ 41yds put 10-14 pellets on a 12x12 square, not good. The Kick's .660 put 9-11 pellets on the 12x12 square @ 41yds, so that one is out. The winner is the Kick's .665 @ 41yds it was consistently 20-26 pellets on the 12x12 square, it was a little windy. The 6" center square had between 6-9 pellets in it also with the Kick's .665.

Nahuatl,
I couldn't get the Remington HD-T shot to pattern for me in either gun with any of the three choke constrictions. It just would not shoot well for me. Conversly, the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T's patterned very well and was a close runner up to the HD-BB's for me. I'm sticking with the HD-BB because I think it is heavy enough for good penetration, hard enough for bone, it is fast, patterns well, is easy on barrels and seems to be choke friendly, and has a lot of decently sized pellets for a fuller pattern. Seems to be a pretty good compromise.

Quote:
Serious coyote medicine are the .12 and .10 gauges. With that said, I just bought my wife a little 870 Youth .20 gauge and intend to do some work with it. The .20 gauges don't have much shot and there aren't many loads available for them that are really well suited to predators. A quick look the other night at a catalog showed some Hevi-Shot 3" .20 gauge #2's that might make a passable load within 30-35 yards.

GC my brother in law is shooting the Winchester High Density 3" #2's out of his 20 guage, that stuff patterns well and is real deadly on coyotes. 1400 fps too!!! 102 pellets I think..

Much better that the 3 buck stuff.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GC,
Maybe Im looking at the wrong load but the HD BBs I found for sale cost more than the DC. Did I look at the wrong load or is that right?

Jeremy your right the HD stuff is more expensive than the DC. Terrible isn't it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The Remington HD is more costly than the Dead Coyote intially. However, there is a really good rebate running through January for $15.00 per 10 rd. box back to you. That brings the cost down to a much more reasonable figure. I'm stockpiling right now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back