NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: GCI had one target that shot that well. It seemed to be a fluke and I could never get that same performance again.

My son and I bought 30 boxes of these Rem HD T Predator loads a few years ago when one of his suppliers closed them out for $16.00 per box.

I only use the T shot loads for my third shot and use the HD 2's,BBs or Hevi-Shot B shot on the first two shots.

Yesterday I patterned some 3" Remington #4 Buck through a few chokes and guns at 40 Yards, with the temp in the low 80's.

My best pattern was 20 pellets in a 10.125" Circle at 40 Yards, very close to being dead on POA/POI, using a 3" 870 with a 28" barrel and a .675 Indian Creek Non-Ported special order only turkey choke.

Same 870 with a .665 Gobblin' Thunder choke gave me 15 in 10.125" at 40 Yards.

Last edited:
Twenty No. Four Buck pellets in 10" @ 40 yards is a dandy pattern! Did you try any 50 yard patterns?

Quote:Twenty No. Four Buck pellets in 10" @ 40 yards is a dandy pattern! Did you try any 50 yard patterns?

No, I didn't think to back up any farther, but I was also out of posterboard at that point anyway.

With Turkey loads, I get good results using .665 Indian Creek Ported choke tubes in my BPS and 870, and somewhere along the way I picked up a Non-Ported .675 RemChoke which wasn't tight enough for the turkey loads, but appears to be just right for #4 Buck.

That choke is about .055" constriction from your bore which is right in that area that I have found to be pretty consistent for good patterns. When asked my usual advice is to search in the .050" - .060" constriction range for a sweet spot for 3" .12 gauge lead No. Four Buck and tungsten T's or BB's. With some juggling of constrictions in that area and load checking usually a guy can find a sweet spot. I'm shooting a .670" from my tight Benelli bores which gives me... are you ready? Yep, exactly .055" of constriction.

Does anyone know what the Dia. is on the
Carlson Dead Coyote Choke Tube For Winchester 1300 black shadow 3in ,i have a Primos jelly head on for turkeys,i use Heavy turkey blend 5,6,7..just wondering if its a tighter choke,doesn't say on the web site? Another thing in PA you can't use anything larger then 4 lead for anything which i don't get ??

Last edited:
Anyone know what the barrel bore is on a Mossberg 835 with over bored barrel? I just picked up a 835 Deer / Turkey combo with 24" barrel and extra tight turkey choke that came with it. I want to pick up a choke tube with the magic .050-.060 constriction for coyote hunting.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Cman962Anyone know what the barrel bore is on a Mossberg 835 with over bored barrel? I just picked up a 835 Deer / Turkey combo with 24" barrel and extra tight turkey choke that came with it. I want to pick up a choke tube with the magic .050-.060 constriction for coyote hunting.

Thanks
----------------------------------
Your bore diameter should be .775.

Rich Cronk,
Thanks for the info.
I've been looking for Accu-Mag choke tube internal sizes with out any luck. Anyone know where I can find this info?
I'm looking for a .715-.725 choke size.
Thanks

nocturnal,
I have the same setup as you 835 w/ 24" barrel.
Did you find a choke that patterned well with #4 Buck?

According to the patterning that has been done. We should have good luck with a choke in the .725-.715 range. I'm looking for manufacture with a choke in this range. The problem is all of them do not give you the ID dimensions of their chokes.

I did see the regular Mossberg choke tubes for the guns with regular barrels (not overbored) list a Imp Cyl as .720

Thanks

Answering my own question. I found out the accu-mag full is 0.730, x-full is 0.715. Also see a carlsons ext steel shot tube long range at 0.727
My gun came with a ultra- full it checked at 0.692

Originally Posted By: Cman962Answering my own question. I found out the accu-mag full is 0.730, x-full is 0.715. Also see a carlsons ext steel shot tube long range at 0.727
My gun came with a ultra- full it checked at 0.692
--------------------------------
I would try that .692 tube just for giggles. Is it an extended tube? Here is a link to Primos Jellyhead tubes for you also. https://shop.primos.com/p-587-jelly-head-turkey-choke-tube-12-gauge-mossberg-835935.aspx

Hi Rich,
Yes the 0.692 tube is an ext tube. I will try it too. I plan to pattern my gun this weekend. I am trying to locate a couple different size tubes locally.
All the Mossberg Accu-mag tubes I have found with the bore sizes listed have been the flush ones. I assume the same choke in extended versions ported or not will be the same bore sizes. Correct??

Thanks for the jelly head link.

Originally Posted By: Cman962Hi Rich,
Yes the 0.692 tube is an ext tube. I will try it too. I plan to pattern my gun this weekend. I am trying to locate a couple different size tubes locally.
All the Mossberg Accu-mag tubes I have found with the bore sizes listed have been the flush ones. I assume the same choke in extended versions ported or not will be the same bore sizes. Correct??

Thanks for the jelly head link.
-----------------------------------------------
Yes, same bore size. The extended tube has a gradual tightening of the restriction, kind of like a funnel. They usually produce better patterns than do the short tubes.

CMan,
Just a point for clarity, the bore size is the barrel interior diameter and remains a constant. Your barrel is a .775" and is always going to be a .775". The constriction is in the choke and may vary according to which constriction you choose. Example of that is if you screw in an extended .715" for an extra tight pattern and/or trying to reach out for more distance. However if the expected hard chargers are in tight cover and shots over 30 yards aren't possible you might choose a more open constriction to give a modified choke type pattern so you might go with a .755" constriction flush mount. Make sense?

Hey GC,
I didn't know the difference between the flush and ext choke tubes. Your explanation makes sense.
I meant the bore size of the choke tube not the barrel. of course the choke tube ID isn't the same all he way through so not the best terminology.
Your point is well taken.

I have got to pick up a variety of chokes and do so shooting.

I'm reading where a lot of guys are going with even more constriction than my 0.692 to reach out a little more with turkey loads.

Thanks for the info!

That .692" is giving .083" of constriction from your bore - that is A LOT OF CONSTRICTION. I would tread very carefully... in fact I personally would probably not go there.

Originally Posted By: Cman962Rich Cronk,
Thanks for the info.
I've been looking for Accu-Mag choke tube internal sizes with out any luck. Anyone know where I can find this info?
Thanks

Accu-Mag chokes-
Mod .750
IC .765
F .730
XF .715
UM .695
S .770

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Originally Posted By: Cman962Rich Cronk,
Thanks for the info.
Thanks

Accu-Mag chokes-
Mod .750
IC .765
F .730
XF .715
UM .695
S .770
----------------------------------
Check thee out. http://www.briley.com/mossbergulti-magchokes.aspx

Rich I got the IC,Mod and F a while back.Already had the UM.I've since bought a few new loads to try but haven't gotten around to it yet.I'll get back after I pattern them.

Back