new rifle time!!!Savage-Tikka? 243-260?

Originally Posted By: drscottTikka does make the 260 they just don't import them to the US.

drscott

Tikka does just in smaller lots.

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOK, so I have to ask. If you're in Illinois and can't shoot deer with it, why wouldn't you go with a 22-250?

I can't see the sense in getting a 260, you're just costing yourself more per round and making your ammo harder to find. I'm assuming you don't care about saving pelts as well? You can kill a coyote with a 50 BMG, but he's no deader than if he gets whacked with a 22-250.

I have Tikkas in both the 243 and the 22-250. The 22-250 is just sooooo flat shooting. I can't quite get the same distance performance out of the .243.

With that said, the Tikka 243 is tremendously versatile. 50 grain varmint pills all the way to 95 grain antelope/deer rounds. It just seems to love them all.

Those wacky Finns make a heck of a rifle.

Grouse

I like the 243 over the 22-250 due to the high BC bullet selection or that i can drive a 55 NBT at 4000fps!!! That load shoots flatter than a 22-250 can without going down to a 40 grainer. Plus I do a heck of a lot of range shooting and can run a 87gr Vmax with a BC of .40 and buck the wind pretty well. That's why the 260 interests me, for the 1000yd target days and I may want to hunt outside of IL someday too

since I reload 243-260-22250 all cost the same to shoot for the most part....

What can u guys tell me about the Remington model 7? Its only 7 pounds and 39" long with a fluted varmint weight barrel, that sounds good on paper

Coyotejunki said:
How about, trade your rifle or sell it outright and buy a used Rem 700, then order a Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters supply. You can get it in a fast twist, cartridge, and whatever length and contour you would like. [

I have a VTR in 243 that I just don't like. I really wish I didn't buy that model, but now I have it. Anyway, I;m halfway thinking of rebarreling it. How much do these Criterion barrels run, and why go with them over a Shilen, Krieger, Douglas etc.?

I have a few Criterion barrels and I like them. They are the SS barrels and seem to be good quality. I am told they are made by Krieger, but are not cut rifled so Krieger doesn't put their name on them.

You can get one threaded for a Rem 700 with a barrel nut, like Savage has, so you can install a fully chambered barrel and you headspace it your self. No need to send it to a gunsmith.

Cost, I believe you can get a SS barrel fully chambered, with the barrel nut, cut to length and crowned, for around around $325. I am thinking of ordering another one.

I believe you can get Shilens too.

Last edited:
I like the look of the VTR but everything I read/heard of them has been disappointing...heres a question for you guys, how important is a heavy barrel?
I ask because im afraid im wanting too much out of 1 rifle, I may be better off just buying a nice sporter weight 243 like the Tikka Hunter and then later getting a heavy barreled true varmint gun that can also be a good range toy

Tikka in .22-250. I've had Lites in the 250 and 243 and both shot Awesome. I say the 250 because that means you hafta buy another rifle. Always go with this because buying more is more fun. And more fun is always more fun. I dunno about those Rem 7's though. Uncles .223 standard is a shooter but .243 was a mess, and I think I've heard a few hits and misses a few times. Picked up a .22-250 Sako A-7 Varmint and am very happy with it(kinda a fancier Tikka T3). After break-in and Zero shot 3 5 shot groups @100yrds factory 55 gr SBT's all touching.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Centerfire-Rifles/Bolt-Action|/pc/104792580/c/105522480/sc/105523380/Sako-A7-Varmint-Bolt-Action-Rifles/1672794.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbolt-action%2F_%2FN-1102332%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%25253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat105522480&WTz_l=SBC%253BMMcat104792580%3Bcat105522480%3Bcat105523380
sorry ta stray off topic

Originally Posted By: ghilliedupI like the look of the VTR but everything I read/heard of them has been disappointing...heres a question for you guys, how important is a heavy barrel?
I ask because im afraid im wanting too much out of 1 rifle, I may be better off just buying a nice sporter weight 243 like the Tikka Hunter and then later getting a heavy barreled true varmint gun that can also be a good range toy

There are many guys here who know more than me, but for a carry rifle I wouldn't want a heavy barrel. They are for extended shooting sessions at the range or for varmints. I personally like a medium to heavy sporter barrel for hunting.

I have a Tikka lite in .223, and a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the Ruger 6.5, but haven't shot it a ton. Still breaking in, but it one holed two or three times the first time I took it out. It looks nice if you like laminate stocks.

I wouldn't recommend the VTR in any caliber.

I love my Tikka. If you really see yourself just carrying the rifle and hunting more than range work, a Tikka may be your best bet. They are super light, mine shoots great and cleans up easily (seems like a nice smooth bore). They come in a 10 twist in 243 should be good for 55 grainers up thru 87s anyway, maybe short 100 SPs also.

Last edited:
Back