New Rifle shooting like crap

Originally Posted By: dan newberryI'd pay 250 for the gun, sight unseen.
Dan

Pesonally I would not pay $250 for one. Heck you can buy one of the new Stevens for not much more than that?? So why would you pay that much for a used one??

But if you want to pay $250 for one without even seiing it, then that is great. But what is your point?? I said $150 to $200-and I figured that price for one that showed a lttle wear.

But I still do not see your point. Are you saying you would put a couple of more hundred dollars into a rifle that you already paid $250 for?? So then you would have $450 in a $200 rifle?? That does not make much sense to me?? But maybe it does to you??

I have personally made the mistake before of putting way more money into a rifle than what it was worth. I am GUILTY of doing that. It was my stupidity. I was just trying to pass on some information before some one else did the same STUPID thing that I have done. So I am not not being a snob here, heck I screwed up and did it myself. I just did not want to see the OP make the same mistake I have made?? Tom.

I'm pretty certain I could get it to shoot without putting any additional money in it.

The Stevens 200's are around 300 dollars in these parts, and that with a tupperware stock.

I think the 110 is worth 250, easily. He's in GA, I'm in VA... too far for me to drive, but if he's coming my way on vacation, he can drop it off here for 250, scout's honor.
smile.gif

Dan

It does seem like in different parts of the country that different rifles are worth more or less. However I do think I just saw the New Savges for $269. And that is with their new stock. Tom.

Well I did a preliminary test on the head space using a casing and a hornady 60gr V-max. I put the bullet in the case and slowly chambered the round. I slowly extracted the round and measured. I got 2.490. A round that length will not fit into the mag well. So I think excessive head space might be part of the dilema. I have a meeting with the gun doctor tomorrow he has a bore scope so I can check the condition of the barrel. From all that I have gathered on the various interweb sites the barrel is probably not shot out. Either way something is causing the accuracy to suffer.

That's not really measuring headspace, that's giving you freebore. Headspace is the distance from the base to the shoulder (on that cartridge).

If you're taking it to a gunsmith ask him if he has a set of go/no go gauges. It may not matter after he borescopes it, but if the barrel looks good, that's something to check.

Quote:Yeah I know just enough to get myself in to trouble.

It won't get you in any trouble, but there's a bunch of people on here that will jump on you for using the wrong term.
grin.gif

What you measured is worth knowing.

Hmm I paid $140 for a Savage 110c in 22-250. Put $500 into it, made it an excellent shooter. May not have been the wisest financial move I've ever made but certainly not stupid. It shoots like a $640 rifle should and probably better than most $640 rifles. I agree with Newberry, shouldn't be too much trouble to figure out whats wrong and correct it. Most likely not costing you any serious money.

Back