New prototype Dtech WSSM slick-side upper.

Great just when i swore i was done building ARs you had to go and do that. Looks like i need to order some more parts. Mike when do you think the first production run will be ready and what is the expected cost of a stripped upper

Originally Posted By: 22-250ohioGreat just when i swore i was done building ARs you had to go and do that. Looks like i need to order some more parts. Mike when do you think the first production run will be ready and what is the expected cost of a stripped upper

The first slick-side uppers will be ready in the next week or so. I only have a few of them, so my second run will be the big batch. Cost wise I don't know yet. I have to get these out to the folks that do my anodizing so I know all of the costs involved. Right now the uppers, before modification, blasting and coating, are about $30.00 more than I'm paying for the forged uppers I'm currently using. A WAG would put them at between $50.00 and $75.00 more than the forged ones.

Originally Posted By: chefpierreMike, Will you offer an upper with a side charging handle?
I am interested in having a side charging upper half in 243 wssm.

I'm not sure about that. I haven't had enough call for them at this point, but if that changes, I'm certainly not against it.

I like to try and spread out the R&D costs as much as I can. I have had enough folks asking for the slick-side upper that I can easily do that. Over the years I have been doing this, I have only had one or two customers ask about the side-charge feature.

Would you be able to build one with an upper from another source? I have a 243wssm that I would like rebuilt into a side charging unit.

Looks pretty slick
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Dtech

I'm not sure about that. I haven't had enough call for them at this point, but if that changes, I'm certainly not against it.

I like to try and spread out the R&D costs as much as I can. I have had enough folks asking for the slick-side upper that I can easily do that. Over the years I have been doing this, I have only had one or two customers ask about the side-charge feature.

Mike - look at those H-K type side chargers (where the handle doesn't travel with the bolt). That's a much better option IMO.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to machine the needed modifications into the upper, though.

It does remove that extra mass from the BCG though and lets the customer use all stock parts, I believe.

I like your upper, I carried M-16's without a FA for 3 years in the military and it wasn't ever missed. I'll never use the one on my hunting rigs anyway.

Last edited:
It is Bad to the Bone! I have never used the FA on any of my current rifles. Very nice Mike. Great Job.

That why you build my rifles. Always seeking ways to improve your products or satisfy your customers! You are a true Artist!

Mike

I like the look. That is why I bought one of the MEGA uppers for my 450 build.

After shooting tens of thousands of rounds over a 10 year period while I was in the Army, I can tell you that you don't need the F/A if you will clean the weapon every now and then. I don't recall ever using the F/A while on a range or in the field.

I agree it looks nice Mike. I have to say my thoughts at first sight was side charge handle too..even though it defeats the purpose I guess. Removable though?

I like the slick side. It seems more practical to me. There is a little less bulk to the rifle and less hanging off of it to snag on gear. If I need to chamber a round quietly I can just use my thumb on the bolt to seat it home.

I think the new look is great!

Ok, I know this is an older thread, but can someone please explain to me what is the Advantages or Disadvantages of a Slick side upper vs a standard one? Why would someone want, need, or prefer one of these?

Originally Posted By: BigDogShooterOk, I know this is an older thread, but can someone please explain to me what is the Advantages or Disadvantages of a Slick side upper vs a standard one? Why would someone want, need, or prefer one of these? It looks cleaner, and most hunters dont need the Forward Assist

Originally Posted By: iowacityI like the slick side. It seems more practical to me. There is a little less bulk to the rifle and less hanging off of it to snag on gear. If I need to chamber a round quietly I can just use my thumb on the bolt to seat it home.

I think the new look is great!

That's where the side charge is nice and quiet as you can manipulate the bolt easily. I have one on my Grendel and trying do decide if I should use the second one on an sbr 300 blk or varmint 223.

Back