New long range rig!

These are my two 38-55. The Winchester High Wall is a Miroku rifle.
The Winchester 94 is a remade rifle. It started as a Theodore Roosevelt in 1984.
I bought it damaged acid took some of the nickel plating off. So I had it Cerakoted flat black.
The gun smith changed out the stamped parts for real milled parts.
It started as a 30-30 but now it is 38-55/4 groove and legal to deer hunt with in Ohio.
Where, I got it rebored he gave me load to use and it is for a 265gr jacked bullet.
Off hand I can shoot a 3-4in group at 100 yds with iron sights, 2in from a rest.

FYI: When I was young my Grandfather shot his High Wall for money.
It was a big day for me to go with him shooting. His High Wall was a 40-100.
A gunsmith along the Ohio River near Little Hocking built his rifle.
It was a gain twist barrel. That he used a bent tool to put the bullet in place.
After I primed the case he would drop 10gr of 2400 in the case and the rest with black powder.
Hold the rifle up in the air and load the case. It will always be Sundays to remember for me.
Drank my first cup of coffee there at the range. Boy did my Mom get mad.
My Dad said an Aunt sold his rifle and other guns after he died. It was a sore spot for Dad and me.

FGnoNzR.jpg

Well I fell of the boat today and picked up a Uberti 1885 High Wall in 45/70.Its been a bucket list gun for years and finally managed a deal on a used one. Its a straight stocked rifle with a 30 inch barrel and buckhorn style sights with a case hardened frame and blued barrel. I know nothing about loading for one of these and have none of the necessitates to do so either....yet. I plan on a Vernier sight for it in the future but loading stuff comes first.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWell I fell of the boat today and picked up a Uberti 1885 High Wall in 45/70.Its been a bucket list gun for years and finally managed a deal on a used one. Its a straight stocked rifle with a 30 inch barrel and buckhorn style sights with a case hardened frame and blued barrel. I know nothing about loading for one of these and have none of the necessitates to do so either....yet. I plan on a Vernier sight for it in the future but loading stuff comes first.

Welcome to the addiction, I fell into it the same way LOL.

What kind and where did you get your sights?

I re-read the original post. I assume you got them from MVA. A little pricey for me. Ill have to shop around for something a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Back