New Gun

Well right now I have a Remington model 770. I've been hearing stuff from people left and right about it but I never had problems with it....now I have. The stock is falling apart, everytime I take it out to hunt or whatever it gets all rusty. I have it I'm .243 caliber. So here's the deal I wanna get rid of this one (if I can) and get a new one. I want a accurate one for a reasonable price In .243. I'm stuck between 3 choices. Savage, Ruger, or Remington 700. Any suggestions?

If you are looking to stay on the less expensive side, I just saw an ad last night for either Cabela's or Bass pro where they have the Marlin X7 (?) in 243 for $279. It looks alot like a savage and even has an accutrigger look-alike. I would say that it is worth looking into. I'm not sure if the ad was only for the local store or if they would have the same deal in TX. On the other hand, I bought my stevens for $275 used (barely) with a scope. I like it alot considering what I paid. Good luck in your search.

For the price the Savage is a great deal and they typically have great accuracy.
I use more Remington's myself though.
I prefer Remmy's (700).
I would choose from those two though.

STH...Marlin XS7...243 is available...if there ain't a cabelas or bass pro handy,try walmart ...ask for special order catalog...check out marlin or even stevens....

Id get the Savage, then Marlin.
Cabelas will sell you on over the phone and ship it to your FFL also for $25. Usually no tax when done that way also.
Ive done that 3x from them to date.

I was looking at the Savage M-10 Predator in .243 but the only thing is I don't know where I can get a camo scope? And which kind of the Remington 700? There's bunches of them! Thanks guys

Russell

Howa/Hogue is a good, not to pricy setup. I've got a one that is great, and have other friend with equally good experiences.

I hear a lot of good about the Marlin XS line and the TC Ventures as well.

Nothing wrong with a Savage or a Remington either. Rems usually take work to get them to shoot good, but not always.

Originally Posted By: SouthTexasHunterI was looking at the Savage M-10 Predator in .243 but the only thing is I don't know where I can get a camo scope? And which kind of the Remington 700? There's bunches of them! Thanks guys

Russell

This Nikon Coyote camo scope was JUST listed in the classifieds:

Nikon Coyote scope for sale in classifieds...

My first choice would be a 700, however, don't overlook Tikka's, or Weatherby Vanguards. Those two rifles are deadly out of the box, as is Savage.
Don't own a Tikka, or a Savage, but there are so many good postings about their accuracy, I had to mention them. And, I do have two Vanguards that I can recommend, in addition to the 700. My two Vanguards were glass bedded at the lug, with barrels free floating when I bought them new.

Ok maybe I'm missing sumthing but the coyote special seems to be for 223 and/or 22-250. Unless I'm missing somethin please someone help me out, explain it to me. I'm not the brightest bulb In the closet lol

Russell

Back