New FLIR ThermoSight Pro PTS233 19mm! (Shipping Update)

Sounds like a very nice scope.

Not to be critical, just discussing an issue I see at the moment. It seems that the new scopes and monoculars (this one and the Pulsars) have such short eye reliefs. The older model Pulsar scope were much better with that feature. This scope is only 45mm which means (I assume) you have to pretty much get your eye close in order to get a good view. Not much of a problem maybe for those who don't wear eyeglasses, but for guys like me who do wear glasses, that could be problematic. I admit that I'm disappointed in all the new models, FLIR and Pulsar that seems to have forgotten that important point. Perhaps removing the ocular rubber piece might help with that? Maybe it's not an issue at all but just appears that way on paper / specs.

Tom, I see that you don't wear glasses, but if you have a set of reading or sunglasses lying around, how about trying the scope with those on and see what it's like, if you can get a good, wide and normal view without having to put the eye glass up against the scope ocular. I would appreciate a word on that and what you think.

Good video report about the scope. I like it, like the idea of it, just not sure it would work well for me.

Also, for a comparison in the "near" price range, how does this scope compare to the Pulsar Trail 384 XQ30 1.6X-6.4X, with regards to clarity, focus etc.? The Pulsar is more expensive and maybe not a good comparison, but just curious if you have a preference of one over the other.

Thanks.

6mm06, I can be 3 inches from the diopter and still see the entire LCD. The eye relief is better than their literature states. As far as a comparison between the FLIR PTS233 and PULSAR Trail XQ30 here's my thoughts.

Pros and cons to each really.

FLIR Pro's; price, image quality, color palettes

FLIR Con's; CR123 batteries, weight, no audio capabilities, no wifi

PULSAR Pro's; rechargeable batteries, lightweight, audio capable, wifi with Stream Vision

PULSAR Con's; price, black & white only

Let me know if this helps.

6mm-06, Clip-On Thermals are better for higher powered rifles at night as eye relief is same as day optic.

However most dedicated TWS are adequate with eyeglasses as I always have mine on. 45mm is about 1.5" so not so bad at the minimum.

I had it all figured out that I was going to get a Pulsar XQ38. Now my gears are turning! THANKS NGI_TOM! Pts233 is looking good. Is the zoom stepped or is it smooth or like 1.5, 1.6 ,1.7, etc

Tom--Can you run these units off external batteries with a USB port like my RS 64s through the charging port ? I am getting about an 8 hour run with Batteries Plus 10,400 mAh battery bank on my Flir RS 64s. Don't really want to start depending on CR 123s again. On a couple of my orders in the past my "fresh" CR 123s would only last 30 minutes to 1 hour and I sent the entire lots back. They probably set in a hot boxcar during the shipping and got fried.

Originally Posted By: Dry CreekTom--Can you run these units off external batteries with a USB port like my RS 64s through the charging port ? I am getting about an 8 hour run with Batteries Plus 10,400 mAh battery bank on my Flir RS 64s. Don't really want to start depending on CR 123s again. On a couple of my orders in the past my "fresh" CR 123s would only last 30 minutes to 1 hour and I sent the entire lots back. They probably set in a hot boxcar during the shipping and got fried.

Not yet. FLIR has insured us that they will release an external battery that will work with these new units eventually, but until then you'll have to rely on the CR123a's.

Originally Posted By: rustybucketI had it all figured out that I was going to get a Pulsar XQ38. Now my gears are turning! THANKS NGI_TOM! Pts233 is looking good. Is the zoom stepped or is it smooth or like 1.5, 1.6 ,1.7, etc

It's a stepped zoom.

Originally Posted By: Dry CreekTom--Can you run these units off external batteries with a USB port like my RS 64s through the charging port ? I am getting about an 8 hour run with Batteries Plus 10,400 mAh battery bank on my Flir RS 64s. Don't really want to start depending on CR 123s again. On a couple of my orders in the past my "fresh" CR 123s would only last 30 minutes to 1 hour and I sent the entire lots back. They probably set in a hot boxcar during the shipping and got fried.

Production models will run off an external battery pack through the USB-C port for extended run times Tom's unit is a Beta model without this feature, however production models do have this nice feature.

Who wants to see what the FLIR PTS233 looks like through the lens?
thumbup.gif

Be sure to watch in HD!

That's pretty nice, Tom. I love thermal the more I see videos like this.

Does the PTS223 have an external jack for connecting a DVR?

It has internal memory to record video and stills, then you download via USB-C cable.

No external DVR required.

Skypup, yeah I noticed it has an iñternal DVR. Was just hoping for an external jack which would allow an external DVR (with sound). Looks to be a good scope otherwise and especially for the money.

David, no sound that I know of, just excellent video and image processing for a low cost 320 core thermal weapon scope.

6mm06, the easiest solution here would be to record audio on a separate device, then simply sync the audio and video together in post production.

Nice and easy.

Tom, your desktop looks like mine with all those icons. LOL. My son doesn't like it; thinks it's too cluttered but I like it that way and know where everything is.

It's really easy to use the audio recording on an iPhone and they sync them together with video editing software. That's what I've been doing with the pulsar trail for now.

I have a serious question. I can't find anywhere that says how to NUC the pts233. So how is it done? Does it have a shutter or do you have to put the lens cap on?

Back