new EDC from CRKT

daveInME

time for a new EDC, so I ordered this

317dveh%2BMxL._SX342_.jpg

CRKT used to make some decent knives until they sold out and moved most everything overseas. No use for Chinese or Tawain knives.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760CRKT used to make some decent knives until they sold out and moved most everything overseas. No use for Chinese or Tawain knives.

Ditto......it's bad enough that we get that chinaland chit shoved down our throats daily but I'll be dam*ed if I'll carry one of their knives when there are so many good American makers with prices to fit any budget....

A Buck Bantam is $22 with American 420 steel. That there negates the need for these cheep Chineese and other foreign knives. Cheap materials made over seas...I can't see the reason for them.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760A Buck Bantam is $22 with American 420 steel. That there negates the need for these cheep Chineese and other foreign knives. Cheap materials made over seas...I can't see the reason for them.

I guess you've never had Seki Japanese steel huh? Layered with VG10 is some of the best skinning steel made. I gave my brother in law a Mancusta that he used to butcher a moose, he said it was the first knife he'd ever used that doesn't take some sharpening to finish the job. What I like about it is how little touching up it takes to bring it back to where it will shave the hair off of your arm.

Read again, woody. I said Cheap Material from Overseas. Seki-City Japan turns out great stuff. But it is anything but cheap. So does Germany...

But you'll never see China or Tawian and quality used together in regard to knife making.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Read again, woody. I said Cheap Material from Overseas. Seki-City Japan turns out great stuff. But it is anything but cheap. So does Germany...

But you'll never see China or Tawian and quality used together in regard to knife making.

as a former professinoal chef - i can agree that some of the best knives on the planet come from germany and japan.

not much on this planet compares to the steel being used by Wusthof, henkel or Global when it comes to quality kitchen blades - as long as you stay with their better product lines anyway. like most - these companys offer cheap "rack/consumer grade" knives that will disappoint any blade afficanato.

step into the $600-$900 and up block sets and you've got your hands on something that you'll pass down to your grandkids.

like anything good these days, good blades are expensive because the steel needed to produce them is expensive.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Read again, woody. I said Cheap Material from Overseas. Seki-City Japan turns out great stuff. But it is anything but cheap. So does Germany...

Wrong

Spyderco sage is just one of many marked Taiwan. I'm not crazy about it but s30v, and g10 are usually not associated with being cheap......it's all about a companies quality control

Originally Posted By: GCWhat blade steels do those high end Chef knives typically use?

sorry for the slow reply

according to their website Wusthof uses a proprietary blend "X50 Cr Mo 15" that is a high carbon stainless that they tempered to 58* Rockwell

Originally Posted By: getfoxyOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Read again, woody. I said Cheap Material from Overseas. Seki-City Japan turns out great stuff. But it is anything but cheap. So does Germany...

Wrong

Spyderco sage is just one of many marked Taiwan. I'm not crazy about it but s30v, and g10 are usually not associated with being cheap......it's all about a companies quality control

Those are Taiwan assembled...but the materials are produced elsewhere. Taiwan isn't making the g10 nor the cpm s30v. They don't make the knives, but put the components together.

I've lost my EDC Kissing Crane somewhere in my house while remodeling so I picked up a CRKT Endorser and have to admit it's a decent knife. Sucker is super sharp and other than the worthless to me clip on the back it will do just fine until I find my KC.

Looks good... I like the G10 handle scales. I'm not familiar with that blade steel and had to look it up. It'll be interesting to see how you like it in the future, edge retention, ease of sharpening, rust resistance, ect. Be sure to give us an update after you put it to use for awhile.

Originally Posted By: GCLooks good... I like the G10 handle scales. I'm not familiar with that blade steel and had to look it up. It'll be interesting to see how you like it in the future, edge retention, ease of sharpening, rust resistance, ect. Be sure to give us an update after you put it to use for awhile.

It is essentially another go at 440 steel in China. A good all around grunt type steel.

I got an e-mail with these listed as on sale for $40. CPM s35vn steel, liner lock, G-10 scales and a slick ball bearing pivot. Very nice knife at a good price. Assembled in China, however, from components produced elsewhere.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-kn-tbfk-01-folding-s35vn.html `

I ordered the CRKT SPEW with the intention of using it daily. The very first time I hung it around my neck it immediately fell out of the sheath, and landed point first on a tile floor and bent the tip. I packed it right back in the box and sent it back to Amazon. No more CRKT for me. It was partly my fault. I should have known better than to buy a $20 Chinese made knife for EDC.

Back