New Build....22 vs 6mm?

liliysdad

Looking at building a little heavier coyote rig..I have my caliber choice narrowed down to the 6mm Creedmoor or 22 Creedmoor...

The 6mm seems to be the far simpler choice...OEM brass, OEM Dies, etc...but the 75 and 80gr .224 bullets and their ridiculous BC seems very tempting...

Opinons, experience?

orkan has proven that the larger 22 caliber bullets will actually expand, so if it's high BC hunting bullets you're looking for I would go 22 creedmoor- DESPITE BEING A HUGE FAN OF 6MM and up for coyotes.

Other than the 105 a max, I have never found heavy match 6mm bullets suitable for coyote killing. Too many pencil throughs.

I consider ballistic coefficient to be of little to no importance for coyote hunting, but if you must the 22 is probably the way to go here.

Whatever takes the cheapest ammo that does what you want.

I was really interested in a 25-06 until a found that ammo is nearly impossible to find where I live and when you can find it there will be no selection and it will cost twice is a much as nearly everything else. So hand loads only or pick a different one... I went with a different rifle.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75I know that we talked about the 22cm on facebook, but the 6cm with an 87gn berger vld or 75gn Vmax would be hard to beat as well.

Yes...and this makes the decision so, so hard.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: Huckleberry75I know that we talked about the 22cm on facebook, but the 6cm with an 87gn berger vld or 75gn Vmax would be hard to beat as well.

I shoot 75gr Vmax in my 6-284 and to say it is NOT a fur friendly bullet is putting it mildly as they tend to leave rather large gaping holes in coyotes and I've yet to have a runner with it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: liliysdadAmmo availability and cost has absolutely zero bearing in this, or any, rifle decision for me.

If those are not an issue then I would look at where my biggest hole is in my currently rifle selection. Or the one that is the least like the rifles I already have...

I also didn't see the best option listed. Both.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: Huckleberry75I know that we talked about the 22cm on facebook, but the 6cm with an 87gn berger vld or 75gn Vmax would be hard to beat as well.

Sent you a PM

Originally Posted By: orkanI find that I can live without a hot 6mm.

I find that I cannot live without a hot 22cal.

That's funny, I'm just the opposite. If I could only have one, I'd take a fast twist hot rod .24 cal over a fast twist hot rod .22 cal.

In fact, if I were starting all over I'd seriously consider skipping the hot rod .22 cals and doing something like a fast twist 20-250AI shooting the 55 Bergers and add that to my fast twist hot 6's.

BUT, I'm also a firm believer of when in doubt, get one of each!!!
thumbup.gif

This got nasty on the other one...

It's all up to you, and what blows your dress up! If it's for a coyote rig, barrel life won't even matter, because it will take a long time to toast one out.

My coyote rifle is a plain old 243, if I ever get a hankering to change it, the 22creed sounds pretty sexy.

I've only taken a shot at a coyote passed 600 yards once. I'm comfortable taking that shot sitting with a tripod, any further and I need to get prone.

I don't have any definitive data to share I just know what I can do with my gear. So pick the one that sounds good and go with it. Good luck!

Well...I made the decision to go with the 22 Creed. barrel has been ordered, stock and bottom metal next up.

Thank you all for the discussion, this was much more civil than on another boards that I knew better than to ask on.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadWell...I made the decision to go with the 22 Creed. barrel has been ordered, stock and bottom metal next up.

Thank you all for the discussion, this was much more civil than on another boards that I knew better than to ask on. Enjoy! If you need any help with it, just shout.

Originally Posted By: devildoggNo do the 6creed factory head stamped brass bullets from 55-105 with a 9 twist barrel (105 amax).

While the 6 Creed was my initial plan...it was so due simply to laziness. For critter killing, the hot 22s seem to have it all over the 6mm...and my mind is made up.

I have a hot 243 already, a 243 Ackley...I am quite familiar with the 6mms...this one is a whole different creature.

Stock has been ordered, barrel is being contoured, already have the glass and action...this thing may actually get built before the end of the year...

Back