Needs some feedback on calibers.

taylormade1

Guys I need some help. I have an sps tac 223 and love it. It has has spoiled me with the low recoil and low level noise. I had a 243 sport rifle and sold it do to the higher level of recoil and the thought of getting a savage predator in 243 which is a little heavier rifle for somewhat reduced recoil. Now I am doubting myself getting a 243 and going with something smaller. "Not a fan of 22-250" thats another post in itself. My question is

Is a 204 ruger enough different than 223 to justify buying a new rifle for mostly lots of target shooting, lots of coyote huntng and maybe a twice a year prairie dog hunt. I do reload.

Thanks for the help

I've got five .223's, a couple swifts, several 243/6mm's, and one 204.
The 204 and one of the swifts go groundhog hunting every time I go. The .223's stay home.....that tell you something?
I do use the .223's for predator hunting, though....because I like the 60 grain bullets.
Buy a 204, you'll like it!
F1

taylormade1......you show some interest in the .243 caliber already yet you want something smaller with less recoil so.....look into the 6BR chambering.....has significantly less muzzle blast as well....accurate and efficient.

I have 4 .223's and two 243's.. I love them all.. But I do have two .204's too. And I find myself always taking the .204. I love that little round. On really windy days I take the .223 or .243 depending on what I am hunting. But the .204 is a lot different than the .223. Shoots a whole lot flatter. I love mine.

Less recoil, higher velocity, lower noise, reduced cost, longer barrel life, and better ballistics for a given bullet weight are a few good reasons. Grain for grain the 20's have a higher BC making them better in the wind also. From what I understand they will "mist" a pd just as well because of the faster rpm's of the bullets.

I have a couple AR's which I love! A couple of .243 which I love! And one .204 that I am growing very fond of. Will it replace my 16" AR for predator calling mmmmm... prolly not, but it is a freaking lazer! It will definantly see a stand or two next winter and lots of PD action this summer! I always said I'd never get one especailly with the success I've had with 40 grain Vmax from the 20" Hbar, but I sure am glad I changed my mind.

Last edited:
If you want(need) a 6mm rifle get a 6mmbr.......

If you want a smaller caliber....ditch the 204..and get a Tactical 20 it uses .223 brass necked down to .20 cal. and the shoulder bumped to 30*...

Much better than the 204.....

Better brass available and a longer neck for reloading are just a extra bonus.

PS.....My .204 is now being re-barreled to a .221 Fireball.....

Last edited:
22-250 is a killing machine. I can't understand why anyone would have an issue with it. And if you likes the 22-250,
your gonna love the 220 Swift! flat shooting both of them.
Grizz.

If you want a 243 get the SPS varmint the extra weight pretty much eliminates recoil. With mine I can see impact on a groundhog with the 58 grain v-max. I love mine and even deer hunt with every now and then.

Quote:
If you want(need) a 6mm rifle get a 6mmbr.......

If you want a smaller caliber....ditch the 204..and get a Tactical 20 it uses .223 brass necked down to .20 cal. and the shoulder bumped to 30*...

Much better than the 204.....

Better brass available and a longer neck for reloading are just a extra bonus.

Um...whats better?

I have excellent .204 brass, several sources of loading data, neck length for handloading is basically meaningless beyond just enough to hold the bullet straight. Never have to play catch up to the .204 Ruger, case volume is what it is.
I have 2 .204 Rugers can't find a reason a Tac 20 would ever be 'much better'.

I get buckets full of it for free from my local law enforcement fireing range. So I guess I haven't really checked the market.

Last edited:
There is much more to life than a .204..............

I`ve owned one, and in my opinion a person isn`t missing anything by not having one...

I am much happier with my Tactical 20 my 20 PPC and my 20 BR
than i ever was with my Cooper .204......It`s a shame really, i`d heard so many good things about this caliber, i was pretty disapointed when it didn`t quite to it for me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just my personal opinion.....

Last edited:
Yeah I don't disagree that those are some fine calibers. I am very surprised you didn't mention the 20VT. I think the tac 20 is a waste of time, but the 20br is a great round, I just dont have the extra money for a rifle like that right now.

Thanks to all those who posted and helped

Quote:
There is much more to life than a .204..............

I`ve owned one, and in my opinion a person isn`t missing anything by not having one...

I am much happier with my Tactical 20 my 20 PPC and my 20 BR
than i ever was with my Cooper .204......It`s a shame really, i`d heard so many good things about this caliber, i was pretty disapointed when it didn`t quite to it for me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just my personal opinion.....

There isn't much if any difference between a .204 and Tactical 20. If you there is, enlighten me.

Back