Need some Load Suggestions .243

Tried a couple of loads, nothing spectacular.
Old Hornady 100gr. on top of 4064 did best.
I think my Hogue stock is to flimsy and not a good fit.
I ordered a new stock, Boyds Platinum in Nutmeg.
I am going to wait until it gets here to do any more load development.
I also scored a few pounds of Varget.
Just missed out on a Keg of 8208XBR
frown.gif

Same leadfree boat here also, working up a load for my kids Remington 700 youth 18". Started with the new Hornady CX in 90 grain but the projectiles were entering the target sideways at 25 yards, not enough twist to stabilize. Purchased some 80 grain also in the CX line and with H4350 got it shooting a nice 5/8" group at 3050f.p.s., with any luck we'll see how they perform on deer this year. If anyone is interested I have 2 boxes (minus 6) of Hornady CX 90 grain for a good deal.

Last edited:
I load the Barnes 80 gr TTSX using IMR 4064 in my Tikka 243 Win. What I did was bought a box of Barnes Vor-tex factory ammo in this same bullet to make sure they shot well and then spent a lot of time working up a load for it.
I had a lot of 4064 on my shelf so that is what I used and my final result is very good and a little more velocity than the Barnes factory ammunition. I could not find much load data using this bullet with 4064 so I started low and worked my way up.
Would you share your minimum and max on that 4064, hard time finding data but have plenty of it, and a couple boxes of 80 ttsx's

Both my 243 bolt guns love imr-4831 with 70 and 90 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. The load I use is the same for both. They both shoot the tightest with .5 grains over Nosler max books loads and both showing zero pressure signs.

Both my ARs shoot the tightest so far with varget with 55 grain NBTs and H4895 with Seirra 60 grain HPs. Only tried light projectiles to compensate for the shorter 20" and 22" barrels.

Folks, if your 243 won't shoot IMR4064 there is a problem ...........

Not that there aren't other options, but it has proven itself over the years to be the "go to" powder for the 243.

Folks, if your 243 won't shoot IMR4064 there is a problem ...........

Not that there aren't other options, but it has proven itself over the years to be the "go to" powder for the 243.

I don't think I've ever seen it on the shelf since I started reloading in 99'. My 243 rifles love imr 4831. My 30-06 loves it to with 180 grain core locts. Never had any on hand to try in my 243 ARs. My buddy had a pound laying around he never used and gave it to me last summer. Had not seen imr 4831 for years as well.

MidWayUSA has IMR4064 in stock now. I just got some a few days ago. Obviously the HazMat charge is a PITA, but if you order enough powder it kinda offsets it a bit.

Never ordered powder through the mail. Always bought it from stores and shops in town or when traveling. If I had a proven load using it I'd have to cave. Was going to do it with imr4831 and my buddy had an unopened pound sitting sound for over a decade that he gave me. If I run into 4064 I'll definitely have to try it in my ARs to see if I can tighten up the groups. I never played with COL yet with either of the tightest grouping loads that were .3" at 100 yards.

Back