Need help with a stuck bore snake

Update: It was the wrong caliber. I believe it was a .284 snake. He was trying to go off memory based on what color the rope was when he pulled it out of the package vs the other calibers. He didn't know it was stamped on the brass weight.

We were able to get it out. I twisted the rope hanging out of the action until it became tight. Then I looped that end over a benchvise welded to a bolted down metal table. I had to pull with the rifle barrel and twist at the same time making the ropes diameter shrink. Rope really wasn't the problem, it was the brass brush that was the pain. It finally reversed its bristles or collapsed one and it pulled free. I inspected the barrel the best I could and didn't see any real damage to affect the gun's accuracy. Guy was so happy he invited me to hunt turkeys on his place this season. I'm gonna hold him to it after that fiasco.

Some of the advice given to get the bore snake out was worth the price of admission to this thread. There were a few good laughs to be had in some of it.
laugh.gif
The way you did it was by far the best way.

Glad you got it out for him. The new hunting land you got ain't to shabby either.

Dang - by the time I got to the end of this thread, I'd had a "few" adult beverages, myself - AND was searching for my bore mongoose !!
Glad it worked, Mark

Back