Need Help on Choosing AR

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9Originally Posted By: Valkyrie
I build my own to have a better rifle than the marked up retail rigs. Here is my latest build.

You obviously don't know the little mark up in complete guns or the 11% that has to go to the government.

You probably didn't mean to knock the sponsors here, but I took offense to it.

Can't put a price on lifetime warranty's either.

Scott you hit the nail on the head.

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9Originally Posted By: Valkyrie
I build my own to have a better rifle than the marked up retail rigs. Here is my latest build.

You obviously don't know the little mark up in complete guns or the 11% that has to go to the government.

You probably didn't mean to knock the sponsors here, but I took offense to it.

Can't put a price on lifetime warranty's either.
Get both, order your upper and lower on diff days saves the tax on a complete rifle and both upper and lower have factory warranty.

dont forget about Pittman-Robertson Act. about 3/4 of that tax goes back in keeping are natural resources going for us and are childern.
sorry for the lecture, hunter ed instructor.
smile.gif

Keep an eye out in the classifieds also when you decide.
Look at the R15s, darn accurate & light, like my R15 thats listed there....:)

I did buy an RRA PP, 20" bbl. and its one sweet AR, the 2 stage trigger took about 3 shots to get used to though.

Originally Posted By: CASADORNice looking rig. Just curious, what is the parts makeup of this one, and what did it cost to build?
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieIf you are mechanically inclined, build your
own, or part of it. You could buy the upper you want with the bolt/carrier. That way you don't need the head-space or barrel tools. Then assemble the lower with the trigger and stock of your choice. You would only need a castle nut wrench if you use a collapsible stock. The regular stock just needs a crescent and a screwdriver for install.
It's not hard, and can be done with simple tools, plus you can absorb the cost over a couple of paychecks.
Although, any custom shop can give you an excellent setup too.

DSCN1069.jpg

Check over at AR15.com/build it yourself.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

Or the for sale ads.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=21

Legal-Transfers is the cheapest RRA dealer around. Pete is a great guy, and will do you right.

If you are looking seriously for an AR, that is the websie to browse. It's #2 on the web for firearms. This is where you will find those in the know, and the best deals due to the subject matter.

Thanks for the compliment!!
Here is the makeup of the rifle pictured:

Bravo Company M4 upper receiver
Bravo Company Charging Handle
Bushmaster Chrome lined 1X9 16" fluted barrel w/M4 feed ramps
JP adjustable gas block
YHM Phantom F/H
YHM F/F tube
Colt MPI bolt and carrier
Larue Irons
LMT lower receiver
DPMS lower parts kit
JP adjustable trigger & speed hammer (2.5lbs)
KNS anti-rotation pins
LaRue receiver extension(the stock tube), spring and heavy buffer
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul M.I.A.D grip
D.D. slung attachment point for F/F rail
I don't remember who made the rear 3 point attachment for the sling
Vickers Blue Force sling

Scope is mounted in a Armalite 30mm mount that came with my AR-10T.
Under that is a LaRue 5/8" quick detach rail.
Scope is a old Simmons WTC that I've had on too many guns. It's just for Pinking, and coyotes now. I don't use it in matches, I have an Eotec for them.

I originally built it for carbine matches, but the chrome lined barrel and 1X9 twist isn't working for the longer ranges for me. I ran it in the Texas State Carbine Championship two years in a row, and a few others here and there. I'm replacing the upper with a VLTOR MUR upper receiver, stainless 1X8 White Oak 20" barrel cut to 18" with a Benny Hill brake. A Troy VTAC FF tube, Colt MPI bolt and carrier, PRI low profile adjustible gas block, and a Burris Tac scope in a LaRue 104 mount. The rifle gas system and the brake literally kills any recoil, makes double taps quicker, and shrinks your groups to nothing with quality hand loads.

I'm not sure on the total price on either, it's been a work in progress.
laugh.gif

I'd just get the best deal you can and go from there. Save all of your old parts, and eventually you can reassemble the original rifle and have two!
thumbup.gif

I have two Specialized Dynamics rifles, a 16 bull barrel flat top in .223, and a 24in bull barrel flat top in .204 ruger. Love them both. My 16in is a fur getting machine, and is like my right hand. My .204 is great for prairie dogs, long range precision shooting, and the occasional coyote. It will put the rounds right where I need it. I have owned the big named guns in the past, but nothing has performed like the SD guns. I took a bobcat with my 16in last year at 268 yards, 1 clean shot. I don't think twice when I go for my rifles.

And you can have it built the way you want, and Scott backs his stuff. Sure, anyone can put them together, but he can really squeeze the performance out of the gun.

Valkyrie,
I apologize for jumping on you too, its not the way I do business or 99.9% of the members here talk to each other. I was having a bad day and I took your post wrong.

You have a very nice rig set up and if you go down to the PM hunt in Las Crucas, beers are on me.

Nice Scott.I was about to comment about not having to 'kiss' sponsors but your last response showed your true character to me.
Good hunting.

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9Valkyrie,
I apologize for jumping on you too, its not the way I do business or 99.9% of the members here talk to each other. I was having a bad day and I took your post wrong.

You have a very nice rig set up and if you go down to the PM hunt in Las Crucas, beers are on me.

We all have bad days. I do the same thing sometimes, no harm done. We're all human.

I just jumped in like you guys knew me, and that was my mistake. I should find the introduction form and post something there first.

It's good to hear the high opinion of Spec Dyn. They were on my short list and just moved to the top. I'm holding off on a purchase until Las Cruces when I can handle and maybe shoot one and see what I think I might like.

You are more than welcome to shoot my Specialized Dynamics rifles when we are in Las Cruces. i put them out last year at the PM convention just so that people could see how good they are. So count on it.

Valkyrie,
The Predator Masters hunt and Convention is going to be in Las Cruces in February. We were there last year as well, its a blast. There is a post all around the website about it. If your too far away, you'll definately have a good time. I bring 6-7 rifles out so people can test fire them and have fun after the egg shoot contest, where i donate a rifle to the winner.

I just sold my r-15 to get the Predator Pursuit. Granted I got the r-15 at a great price and was able to dump 25 more after selling it to get the PP. However I do shoot at the range and have never been yote hunting. I do not think that the difference in weight is going to be that much of a deal with a shoulder sling on it but I may be wrong.

Now switching from the r-15 (not the Byron South edition) to the PP. The trigger in my opinion has helped my groups considerably. Just feel for the weight, the trigger and preferably the free float barrel. I think either way you will be happy.

I'd love to go!! I doubt it would be possible because it so far. I don't have the vacation time and what I do have I try to spend with my parents while I still have them. If am able, I'll come.

Egg shoots sound like fun. How far out do you set them??

Back