need help choosing a camo pattern!

I recommend the new army MultiCam pattern used in Afghanistan. New Mexico is very similar to Afghan terrain. The MultiCam works great there so I would assume it would work in New Mexico. Thats multicam...not ACU. ACU pattern would work great if you are hunting from a gravel parking lot, but not many other places.

Happy Hunting

The Multi-cam pattern was developed to be used world wide .Alot of testing went into that pattern . Notice how there isn't hardly any black in it. The reason is that how often do you see alot of black in nature? Sure you see alot of grays and darker browns and greens , but not a whole lot of black in the outdoors. The cool thing about the multi- cam is that even in a freshly cut lawn it still blends in with it , almost perfectly. www.multicampattern.com / Go to this site and check out the pics.

Originally Posted By: armysnipper New Mexico is very similar to Afghan terrain.

Whoa!!! Easy there!!! Them's fightin' words!
smile.gif
PARTS of New Mexico are similar to Afghanistan terrain, maybe....

New Mexico:
round_mound.jpg

More New Mexico:
Sept_red_river.jpg

Multi-Cam is great camo, though. We agree there.

It's also a good idea to break up your camo pattern. For example, Natural Gear shirt/jacket and Mossy Oak Brush pants. This way it breaks up your silhouette.

This has been said by quite a few experts:

Andrew Lewand states it in his book: Eastern Coyote Challenge (pg 24)

A pic of Afghanistan...not exact, but similar...just saying. No disrespect to the great state of NM, Afghanistan has beautiful country.

afghanistan.jpg

this post is not meant to hijack the thread, only compare an terrain where multicam does work, to local hunting areas for the original poster

Originally Posted By: Carcass CollectorsIt's also a good idea to break up your camo pattern. For example, Natural Gear shirt/jacket and Mossy Oak Brush pants. This way it breaks up your silhouette.

This has been said by quite a few experts:

Andrew Lewand states it in his book: Eastern Coyote Challenge (pg 24)

Didn't know that

Couple of pictures from this afternoon.

Distance shot:
Digital-Pred_far.jpg

Zoom:
DigitaltopPredbottom.jpg

I'm wearing a Walls digital camo top (it's really warm) and Predator brown pants.

Originally Posted By: Bam Bami hunt around Santa Fe, NM. im really frustrated because i cannot find a camo pattern that best suits my needs and the enviroment. there are alot of juniper trees, sage brush along with open prairies with little grass. nothin too expensive like Kings. pretty much what i can buy at bass pro.
[img:center]http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31517555&l=2185a1776d&id=1008926171[/img]

heres moreless what kind of an area i usually hunt in
remember coyotes don't see what we do, your camo pattern needs to fool the coyote not another man, just because we think it looks good really isn't the case

m2d is the best, and you can get more info on the coyote sight patterns by reading hunting the hunters

The one "common theme", with all the previous pic's, is that in the shade, which is where you should be when calling, they all work.
I own lots of camo, and am willin to try about anything that is "new and great", but I also will set up with the sun at my back, in the shade, and call yotes wearing a tee shirt and blue britches.
Don't put to much faith in any camo, remember that a proper set up, and sitting still is always a better "bet" that the best camo.
Gerry Blair called in yotes,one day, in a "Full Santa Suit"( beard, black boots, and even a red hat, the whole deal), to prove a point.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuGerry Blair called in yotes,one day, in a "Full Santa Suit"( beard, black boots, and even a red hat, the whole deal), to prove a point.

LOL... that's good.

My favorite (.ie most successful) deer hunting jacket for many years was a red and black plaid, a lot like what you've got in your avatar. I had deer look at me and just totally not even see me.

Originally Posted By: Bam BamTo everyone
how well do you think the digital camouflages the army and marines use in iraq would do?

Bam Bam, I can tell you first hand since I wear Marine Corps Marpat digital Camo every day, that it works awesome. If you pick up a set of trousers and a blouse (pretty cheap online) you will be happy, I can guarantee it. I wore the Jungle version for a central washington elk hunt in the pine trees and half the time I was broken up so well with the digital pattern that my hunting partners couldn't find me. I have also worn the desert version for eastern washington coyote hunting and it works well in desert/sage environments. About the only other thing I can suggest is the new Ghillie Suit that Allpredatorcalls.com is offering on their website. After looking at pictures and reading reviews I think it's pretty effing amazing. I'm ordering one before I get back to the states, that's for sure. Hope this helps.
BTW... About the only thing I've found the army's ACU uniform blends in with is a very large Marble table/counter, or a very poorly upolstered 1980s couch. Just my two cents

I go full camo, head to ankle face to finger tip, Rifle camo'd, no exceptions. Don't care if you can hunt them in a santa suit. the only time I wear 2 different camo patterns is when theres patchy snow, I put on my snow camo pants.

t/c223encore.

NM Highplains, in an article about how and what coyotes see, red & black plaid was stated to be a very effective camo pattern, blue colors show up as almost white to a coyote. Guess I'll keep hiding my blue jeans. Where do you get your predator brown? Knott's?
Mark

I don't worry too much about which camo, but I am sure to hide glare/shine. I almost always wear camo on top but not bottom, unless I'm hunting in the wide open. I like nat gear, predator camo (don't if they make it anymore) or cabela's outfitter pattern.

Back