need advice on a new knife

crowpopper

I am in the market for a new knife... use will be for daily use.. small game cleaning (squirrel rabbits) skinning furbearers and also gutting deer. Used fishing....
I had an OldTimer Med Stockman knife had 3 blades..... unfortunatley its been lost in the Adirondack mountains somewhere. I thought that knife was about perfect for my use..
But before I buy another i wanna explore my options see what you guys think first!
Thanks

Folder or fixed? Budget amount? If fixed a Bird & Trout type knife should do what you ask just about perfectly.

If you're looking for another folder GEC makes some real nice knives in a skillion different patterns and materials.

For a traditional folder take a look at Schatt&Morgan's Heritage Series jack knives. They're made to the exact same specs as the originals from the early 1900's including the steel liners and bolsters.
Scroll down on this page to see all the options for the Heratige Series.
http://www.collectorknives.net/brands/Schatt-and-Morgan-Knives.html

I recently picked up one with Ebony scales that's replaced my favorite old NorthWoods Jack that lives in my hunting coat.

These knives are fantastic.

Nice looking knives
I do wanna stay w a folder..
Price range under 75$
If i can find a usa made like i had i may go that route was a really nice knife and held a fantasic edge.. perfect for squirrel up to deer also

Nothing wrong with the tried and true stockman pattern.
Check the on line store at AAPK.com.....lots of old Schrades show up for good prices over there.

Luck

id go for a new case in that pattern if you wanted a new knife. I bought a couple about 10 years ago that are really very good for factory knives.

or swing by your local pawnshops for used knives. I have bought a ton of knives from pawnshops to use as testers, base patterns, ect... ebay might turn up one like your old one also.

You can't go wrong with a Case knife. On top of being a great knife Case are some of the best collectable knives out there.

I like a thinner style lockback, I've had a few Gerbers that hold very nice edges, can be opened with one hand with my thumb. Look up knives with VG10 steel, they will skin and cut up any animal including Moose without needing to be sharpened. I have three Mancusta Seki VG10 damascus steel knives that stay ridiculously sharp, they also have pocket clips which I have found make a knife super easy to get out.

I have several GEC knives, a guy I work with, his father was somehow affiliated with them....brings me knives to look at at work all the time. Would be tough to beat a GEC for a traditional.

You could however go with a non traditional folder as well......

Originally Posted By: Bob_Atlthis is my carry : kershaw volt
with liner lock, open assist, not expensive either.

Chinese steel...pass.

I have a few GEC, Tidioute Cutlery, and Case classic folders. All with carbon blades...very good blades that are easy to sharpen, last a long time, and cut well. The only "downfall" with carbon is they are prone to corrosion...no worries with proper care.

edit: I just realized this is a resurrected thread...but the advice above still applies.

Last edited:
Well as long as it's been resurrected and we're talking good ol carbon steel pocket knives....I like that Heritage Jack I posted above so much I put in a request to my daughter for the matching single blade for Christmas...well being the loving daughter she is......

Now I have one for both pockets.....

Wow! you are going to get a lot of opinions! I'll throw mine out there in the mix.
I have carried a pocket knife nearly every day for 55 years, stockmans, trappers, copperhead, congress
you name it I have carried it, even collected a few. About 7-8 years ago I started carrying a Spyderco Delica with VG-10 steel. It is amazing, lite weight,carries well with pocket clip removed. Used it for everything from Elk to peeling an apple. Sharpens very quickly and holds a great edge. Best EDC I have found.

Originally Posted By: Jeffro56Wow! you are going to get a lot of opinions! I'll throw mine out there in the mix.
I have carried a pocket knife nearly every day for 55 years, stockmans, trappers, copperhead, congress
you name it I have carried it, even collected a few. About 7-8 years ago I started carrying a Spyderco Delica with VG-10 steel. It is amazing, lite weight,carries well with pocket clip removed. Used it for everything from Elk to peeling an apple. Sharpens very quickly and holds a great edge. Best EDC I have found.

I like the Spyderco stuff pretty well too. I am about to order a Delica for my beater knife at work. I also like Kershaw USA knives of Ken Onion designs.

But, I also have that soft spot for some classic patterns. I have my eyes on a blue bone lock back from Case XX as well...I've got to stop...but it probably won't happen!!
laugh.gif

Back