Need a new rifle

Bowhunt

My buddy is looking for a new rifle. Bolt gun in 22-250, extremely accurate, 1 in 12 twist, synthetic stock is okay. Budget is $1000. What would you guys buy? Looking for suggestions but please stay within the $1000 budget (for rifle....he already has a scope in mind)

Tikka T3X, or Weatherby Vanguard S2...i doubt u will find a smoother action or guaranteed accuracy more so than those 2 choices...aftermarket options for both as well...and incredible triggers.

I think ive had it with american rifles anymore. Euro stuff or japanese stuff is just way better nowadays.

I think savage and Thompson center are about the only ones selling a 1-12" twist 22-250 but I could be mistaken. Winchester m70 in the sporter or sporter compact would be nice if twist rate wasnt an issue.

There are a lot of good options out there. Have him handle a few and see what he likes and what fits him.

I've had good success with the different rifles others have mentioned, as well as some other rifles.

Howa 1500 For the money they are hard to beat! Accurate and bolt action is smooth. The trigger on the new Mini is adjustable but, mine came set at 2 1/2 pounds. I gave a little over $500.00 for it.

Tikka T3x superlite. Cabelas or Sportsmans exclusive. More money than the regular Tikka but man are those things sweet.

If they ever offer one of these in a .260 or a creedmoor i will be a few dollars lighter.

Last edited:
A 14 twist may work because after talking to him i don't think he plans to shoot anything heavier than 55s. I see a lot of votes for the Tikka. I have seen many times here where guys have recommended and raved about them. However i can't find many posts where guys have shown pics of groups. Not that a pic of a group on an internet forum is a guarantee but i just thought it was strange that this is one of the most highly regarded rifles in the caliber and price point but i have not been able to track down much visable proof of accuracy. Are these posts out there and i am just not finding them?

Tikka are MOA guaranteed for 3shots, as are weatherbys...i own a Range Certified Weatherby Vanguard S2, i picked it up for around $900...id end up putting a stock on a standard vanguard anyway. I believe it also has a slightly heavier barrel than standard vanguards.

Ive had several Tikkas in the past, currently have a T3X forest, i havent fired it yet though.

The weatherby feeds like a dream, smoother than previous T3 Lites. I just love that rifle, its in .223

Howa and weatherby are like chevrolet/gmc or ford/lincoln

I really dont think u will go wrong with any of them...if possible find them locally and handle them

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaHowa 1500 For the money they are hard to beat! Accurate and bolt action is smooth. The trigger on the new Mini is adjustable but, mine came set at 2 1/2 pounds. I gave a little over $500.00 for it.

They have .223's at Bud's for $350 shipped.

Back