nc coyote hunters?

Dep, Ty and Houser,

We're all in a pretty close proximity. I live in Mooresville. I do some hunting up near Harmony and some more over near Cleveland. Both of these areas are outside of Statesville. We should try to get together sometime. It might keep us from burnin out our ground.

Deputy, you're doing the right thing by posting questions on this board. I think my biggest mistake early on was not paying enough attention to the wind and not taking my approach to stands seriously enough. I don't think we can overestimate the importance of either one. Some videos will offer you good ideas too....and most coyote hunting vids are just good entertainment. Don't expect "coyote video" hunting in NC though. You will definetly be disappointed.

I'm available to hunt sometime if you guys want to get together.

JB in NC

bluesman,

hey nice to meet ya ! i'm availble every other weekend and some days during the week ...i'm off this weekend starting today thru sunday ....i plan on going out in the morning on a stand near catawba ...i'll be glad to join you guys on some hunts and yes i think it would be a good idea to share some hunting area as to not burn any of them out ....keep in touch and let me know when and where. i'm sure we can make some plans!

jamie

Bluesman+Deputy116.
This sounds great. I have a similar schedule ... every other weekend and a few times during the week. The next time I plan on going I will send each of you a pm to see if we can meet. Feel free to do the same.

Hi ya'll I'm in Lincolnton. I think that's roughly in the center of ya'll. My luck has been dismal. But I'm Not giving up. I have been able to call a few but, have not been able to connect.The Last two years I have been working so much I simply have not had time to do much hunting. Work has FINALLY slowed down a bit (about 45 hrs a week). If any or you would like to try to get together send me a PM. He77 maybe we can all get together somewhere in the middle.

Don

The problem in our area is that the animals are sprinkled throughout the area. I use a locator siren or howler to locate the dogs. Then, I go back the next morning and set up to hunt. If there aren't any coyotes there, you won't call any in.

The other problem I had was calling in foxes with my electronic caller. If I get caught killing one with the caller, I'll probably not only be charged, but lose my job. If you are a deputy in NC, you are in the same boat.

As a result, I only use mouth calls now. I haven't been hunting any for a while. Need to go.

Best of luck to you my friend. They guys on here are really experts and I have read a lot of what they posted. They have been responsible for my kills. This is an amazing site.

thanks for the info. dawgkiller, i went this morning before sunrise and sat on two differnt stands till about 11 am ...no luck on any yotes, but i did see a couple of deer...going again next week to try my luck!!

45 minutes west of asheville here...right between haywood and jackson county. Been calling and chasing and cussing for the last 6 years and all of it a learning experience. Holler if you're ever up this way. Be glad to have you

Setup-setup-setup-setup---wind-wind-wind-wind---setup-setup-setup-setup-setup-setup-setup-setup-setup-setup-setup-setup

Hunting coyotes is an education. You will find a big learning curve before you start to have consistant results. It's not as easy or glamorous as just running to a field edge, making a distress sound & pulling trigger. As others have suggested pull up a chair & READ. If you can get through a little bull, there is ALOT of great info on this site. Then it STARTS when you take this info & go to the woods. That's were you climb the learning curve. When something works, figure out why.

If you havn't read it, start with this thread
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1330670#Post1330670

Then go here
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83113#Post83113

coleridge,
thanks for the thread links, i've read every one of them and posted my thoughts at the end.
i have learned alot and can't wait to use some of the new "tools" i've picked up from the threads!!

thanks again,

jamie

I've been in Fayetteville, and Raeford for the last 13 yrs. I'm currently in AZ, but on my way back to NC in a couple of months. Let's kill us some dogs.

HVY DROP

Originally Posted By: Bummy45 minutes west of asheville here...right between haywood and jackson county. Been calling and chasing and cussing for the last 6 years and all of it a learning experience. Holler if you're ever up this way. Be glad to have you
Bummy, you must be around Balsam??
I can't agree with you more on the calling, chasing, and cussing... It just ain't easy, is it? The hardest hunting I've ever tried.

I'm over in east Buncombe Co. Going into my third year with only 1 kill and lots of almost'es.

Be glad to have you all you NC guys visit us over at the "new" N.C. Predators Hunters Assoc.
We've just got a new forum up, re-structured things alittle (ongoing), and would love to have you visit with us.
Check us out at www.northcarolinapha.com
Look at the seminar we had back in March.

Last edited:
Hey Guys! I'm in the Craven/Pamlico area, eastern coastal NC, and just gettin' started chasin yotes. Seems we have a pretty good crop of yotes this year, especially if you'll believe the papers.
I had to travel to Florida last month for work and while I was gone my better half called me and actually loaded the gun(something she'd NEVER done by herself before!) because she said the yotes were "light'n up the entire woods across from where we live". The kids were freaking out and my dogs were growlin' and pacing their pens. I'm gonna try to remedy that as soon as I get permission from the landowner...

Back