Nala-decoy dog- One bad beast

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKNice work Nala!

Kudos to all involved; Breeder, Trainer, Owner and hats off to good ole Spot for her solid contribution.

Ain't it great when the stars all align and it turns out like that.

I couldn't agree more, its great when it all comes together like it should. I am really looking forward to our next adventure

Cawlison owns Chip. He is new to the game but one of the better ones going right now. He hasnt seen but a handfull of coyotes so far but has already done some wild things.

He has some video but hasn't really shared it yet, but when he does, people are gona know who that dog is and and want to know where he is located!!!

we are going to hunt all this weekend and hopefully get some good footage of him and Nuts. He will make Nuts look like a fool.lol.

if you decide to breed Nala, hit him up and have him send you some videos. i think that cross would be freakish!

Chip is a Mt. Cur in Tn. The old man that owned him died and a family was watching him and couldn't keep him . My wife found him on craigslist. We got him for free. He is suppose to be two yrs old and had no coyote background and possibly a little squirrel hunting done with him. He has went to every coyote i have shown him. No training just called in coyotes. He worked the crap out of a quad this morning in Oklahoma. He's been on about 30 coyotes in the last 2 months. No special breeding or background just a dog that has a little potential.

i got to witness his freakish skills today. called in a single and chips runs it almost a mile back to the den and brings back 4!!!! i think at one point he whipped all 4 of them. Nuts learned alot from him today and they finally started making a pretty cool team.

one more evening and morning left out here, hope they keep reacting!!

I bought Nala's momma today.

9E671A0F-3205-463F-B86B-A470527EB28F-1140-000000AC1F16CB9D.jpg

WOW i cant believe how much my dog looks like her momma everytime i see her......she does look great as well....heres a pic i just took in kinda the same pose of Stephy and i just cant believe the resemblence in the exact markings from the face to the feet. WILD!
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: REID2168WOW i cant believe how much my dog looks like her momma everytime i see her......she does look great as well....heres a pic i just took in kinda the same pose of Stephy and i just cant believe the resemblence in the exact markings from the face to the feet. WILD!
thumbup1.gif

Got a couple 10 week old female plott pups that look a lot like that too. Brindle, white chest and feet. One made it's first critter bay and kill yesterday
grin.gif
. Ate the mouse whole. They sure do like to scrap with each other.

i showed Stephy a mouse in the yard about 10 days ago she charged it molested it and as soon as i wanted her to drop it she took two chomps and then ate it herself....hahahaha....i also started making scent trails about three days ago where i take the piece of coyote fur out the freezer drag it 75 yards hide it then i let her out of the gargage put her on the scent then tell her to find the fur.....its taken less than 30 seconds both times thus far to find it about 50 to 60 yards out in weeds and just blows my mind to watch her work the wind to find it when i know where it is and see her working towards the fur........to me personally its just ABSOLUTELY AMAZING to be honest as i never had a dog let alone one that worked as hard as she does when its time to do so......BINGO!

Gotta get more fur for the freezer, emptied it out in March of early fall coyotes I saved for dog training. My lab absolutely loved finding and retrieving coyote pelts not to mention shaking the chit out of them.

Hi Evan,

Thanks for posting pics of Nala's Dad and family. Nala just went through her first heat and I will be contacting you when she comes into heat again to get your ideas on who to breed her with and if you have any good candidates maybe we can work something out. You make a fine dog sir, see below!

My brother came into town this weekend and he had never been coyote hunting. So, i decided to take him and show him how cool some dog work is. We loaded up the coyote rig and off we went. I took him to a spot I never had hunted but has a ton of sign. I was saving it for a special day and yesterday was the day we would break it in.

As we drove to the first stand two coyotes crossed the highway in front of us, I looked at him and said this is going to be a good day
smile.gif
. We got to the first stand and got set up. I played my favorite coyote sequence but it was a blank stand.

The next stand was not to far away, We set up in a bottom a ridge. I was teaching him about the wind and how to predict where they coyotes were going to come..
wink.gif
trying to act like I know what the [beeep] I'm talking about.. Well luck has it I was right this time. I was about 10 min into my cadence my brother says here comes one. I look to my 3 o'clock and not one but 2 are hauling a$$ over the ridge and running straight for my brother. Nala had not seen the dogs as she was looking behind us and the cover is thick now. I let her know coyotes were near with a tsssss tssss tsss call I use. Once she heard this she turned around and spotted the 2 coyotes. They were about 50-75 yards in front of us and Nala bolted immediately after them. Zero hesitation on her part, as soon as she saw the yotes she was off. By this time my brother had one of the coyotes in his scope, I told him to hold up and watch Nala work the coyotes. The 2 coyotes did not seem to like her. When they noticed she was coming after them they hauled a$$ and took off running. Nala was right behind them and all 3 of them disappeared over the ridge. I was hoping that Nala would bring them back but it never happened. I am thinking they were either females or young dogs and didn't want any part of her. The good part is he got to see a double come right to him and he saw how Nala isn't afraid to engage the coyotes. My brother loved it! Off to the next stand

We set up on the edge of an open field with the wind to our faces under some big salt cedars. The grass was really high and I knew it would be hard for Nala to see any of the coyotes if they came in so I set the call about 20 yards in front of us so if they did come in she would be able to see them. After about 6 min into the sequence my brother said one is coming to us. Sure enough he is moving fast and headed right to the call. Nala again doesn't see the coyote because of the grass and she is behind us playing around. I let out the tssss tssss tssss and Nala appears. By now the Coyote made it to my call and is sniffing it. This coyote is so close you could almost touch him...Nala sees him and is off. Again I tell my brother to hold up and only fire when I tell him. Nala and the coyote engage this time and its on! They are going back and forth. The best part is its right in front of us. May 15-20 yards. The bad parts is I don't know how well my brother can shoot and I don't want him to kill Nala by accident and I didn't bring a rifle on this stand?? I really wanted to put this dog down in front of Nala to show her that her effort has paid off, She is really working this coyote. They are going back and forth and she keeps at him. He would try to leave and she was back on him decoying him back to us. Meanwhile I am telling my brother to shoot, then not shoot, then shoot. LOL, it was intense. Nala kept engaging the coyote and I didn't want him to shoot her. Come to find out he didn't have the view I had and finally was able to take the shot. He dropped the coyote with a neck/shoulder shot. I was really proud of his restraint and ability to not endanger Nala. I was really proud of Nala for showing my brother what a decoy dog does

My brother got to see something that most wait a lifetime to experience. He got to see some great decoy work, a double come down, and he killed his first coyote!!! . We made 3 stand and saw 5 coyotes. We will remember this trip for a long time.

I was able to get some video from my phone. You can hear me tell him to shoot then not shoot, you can see how intense it was. At the end I tell him to give me the rifle as I was getting worried about the coyote leaving and/or him shooting Nala. Right after I say that he put the coyote down. I have pictures of brother with the coyote but its a bloody mess as he hit the carotid artery and Nala is covered in blood from whooling the coyote. I was unsure if it was too graphic for the masses.

Here is My brother and his new best friend at our first stand

B0A1F610-5CB3-417D-A701-A6907A30A9D9-123-0000000104C3E7B7.jpg

Here is the video. You can see how tall the grass is and the cover that was around making it tough to shoot ( this is my iPhone video.. sorry its not that good)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the kind words.

John,

I have taken her out as much as I can with work and crazy schedule. I have put about 25 coyotes in front of her since I got her. She always does amazing and is the easiest dog to work with. I never have to use the collar nor do I have to use any commands. Not sure if she will ever finish out as it seems we both learn something every time we go out. I don't post much on PM anymore about my hunts or her. I only post when its something special like the hunt with my brother.

If you are ever in my neck of the woods don't hesitate to hit me up.

Back