My New Tikka T3 Lite 223 Project

Mstnpete

Good Day Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and am very excited being a member here. Good place to hang out and lots to learn.

I recently purchased a Tikka T3 SS in 223 for Varmint hunting specially for Yote hunting.
I decided to work on her and make her Tacticool.

First thing I did was Changed Bolt handle to a larger handle and changed the bolt shroud. Since I am a lefty, it is now faster and easier for me to rack the bolt. Ordered from HSS in Australia.

Installed:
IMG_0007-1.jpg

Second thing I did was order the EGW Scope rail for Tikka.
The rail was longer than the top of the receiver:
See how far the rail sits from the top of the receiver?

Frontwithbacktight.jpg

I decided to cut the rail about 2 notches with my dremel. And used a sharpening stone to smoothen it out. To fit exact length of the Tikka Receiver.
Aluminum Black has been applied.

Here's the Top View of the Cut-shortened Rail. Sorry, didn't get a chance to clean up.

IMG_0006-5-1.jpg

Here's the final upgraded Tacticool Tikka T3!

3KV934H6F9.jpg

A8J9NRWNVD.jpg

I have ordered a 6 round spare magazine from Beretta. It was to Blue, so I painted it black.

IMG_0006-4-1.jpg

I tried loading 6 rounds and it only took 4 rounds.
I opened the mag and saw some plastic causing the spring and follower not to fully engage. I decided to trim and cut some materials out with the dremel.
Now it loads 6 rounds.

Scope is a Trijicon Accupoint 3x9x40 TR20R

Next thing to do is range time!

Enjoy!
Peter

Last edited:
I have the Tikka T3 Hunter Deluxe in .223. I think you are going to be very surprised when you get your rifle on the range. Mine is extremely accurate. Good luck to you.

Originally Posted By: coyote killaI have the Tikka T3 Hunter Deluxe in .223. I think you are going to be very surprised when you get your rifle on the range. Mine is extremely accurate. Good luck to you.

I'm sure it's gonna be a blast! Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Try some 40 gr Vmax in that 1/8 twist. Ground squirrels hate it! Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up.I will give that a try.
Just recently purchased 200 rounds of 55gr. Hornandy
VMax. You know how it goes in most parts of CA.... lead free area.

The Aussie folks have a dealer in Florida. I got a bolt shroud from them, but I can't remember the name of the place.
I sent an email to the Aussie place, and they hooked me up with the place in FL. They were great folks to deal with, and they shipped thw part the same day.
I've got one on the .243 I've got listed in the classifieds.

How much was the spare mag. clip from Berreta? I have a Tikka 270 short, Cabela's told me $70.00 for that plastic mag. I love the gun but for a piece of plastic.

Originally Posted By: MstnpeteOriginally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Try some 40 gr Vmax in that 1/8 twist. Ground squirrels hate it! Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up.I will give that a try.
Just recently purchased 200 rounds of 55gr. Hornandy
VMax. You know how it goes in most parts of CA.... lead free area.

Im looking forward to what you see with your Tikka with 50-55 gr Bullets. Mine shoots the 40's great, the 50-55's not as well, But the 60's shoot great too. Keep us posted with your project! Good luck.

I have heard that just the regular 3 round mags are around $70. I would be interested in the cost of the 6 round mag as well. Looks good though, like the bolt handle.

Corey

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWHere did you get the bolt handle and shroud? I've heard of these people but can remember their web site.

I ordered direct from Hinterland Shooting Supplies in Australia. As I have not found any reps in the US. Another company that makes handles and shrouds is called Roedale from England.
Just google them as they do not allow links.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TolleyHow much was the spare mag. clip from Berreta? I have a Tikka 270 short, Cabela's told me $70.00 for that plastic mag. I love the gun but for a piece of plastic.

For the 223 with blue mag extension it was on sale at the Beretta website for $51.00. I would suggest to Google for price comparison.
But $70.00 is the going rate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357
Im looking forward to what you see with your Tikka with 50-55 gr Bullets. Mine shoots the 40's great, the 50-55's not as well, But the 60's shoot great too. Keep us posted with your project! Good luck.

I sure will. My buddies Tikka T3 Lite in 223 with 55 vmax does really well and does half an inch moa's with his rifle.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in blued with a Sightron 4-12x42 that I can't seem to get any better than cloverleafs. This is with the Winchester white box soft points...

Both the wife and mother-in-law claim the gun as theirs....

That's interesting. So far I have only shot 55 grain SP's out of mine and it's shot really well. I've tried only factory Federal, Hornady and Black Hills so far and each have shot very well with great groups. You've got me thinking about the 40 and 60 grain bullets now and what they might do.

I have never shot factory ammo in mine. Maybe its my reloading skills,or lack there of? LOL I have only used H335 powder so that may be why the 50/55's didnt really shine in My rifle so far. My Howa 1500 with the same loads loves them.

mtbadger said:
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in blued with a Sightron 4-12x42 that I can't seem to get any better than cloverleafs. This is with the Winchester white box soft points...

No Better than cloverleafs with factory ammo. Boy that really sucks don't it!!
lol.gif

Back