My FN Five-Seven exploded

OMG That is horrible! Man don’t let them pass this off on your hand loads. And don’t let them get there hands on the gun unless they are in your lawyers office Prays for a speedy recovery rp

My first time reading this as I wasn't around much for a while. Very unfortunate.

I never knew CVA made pistols
lol.gif

I'd be very interested in hearing the outcome also.....

This definitely looks like an out of battery condition. Note where the major deformation radiates, the breech, and that fact that the exploded brass is split so far from the chamber. The case head detached AFTER the primer strike, so the only way I can see for that case to split that far from the barrel is if it was not actually IN the chamber area, thus no support for the case. This is a pretty strong case for manufacturers taking steps to ensure their weapons cannot fire while out of battery.

Now, if you had a gun that did not allow the round to completely chamber and would still fire it, one should imagine that the reason for the battery condition would be insignificant to the fact that the pistol DID fire with the out of battery situation in place, thus what the ammo was, where it came from, or even if it was the right caliber (!) is moot, the gun should not have FIRED to begin with!! I am no attorney, but it would seem that some compensation should be in order even if you had NOT been using factory ammo when the pistol kaboomed. You need a good attorney and you need to retain this pistol AND all the photos! As others stated, let their engineers come to YOU, the potential savings of their future customers should be worth them making the trip. The gun is the issue (should not have fired) not the ammo.

I suppose it is possible that the slide did not lock forward, but that is still a pistol issue, not an ammunition issue. Still, the pistol failed, imo...

Best of wishes to you, and how are you doing now? Are you healing, and did they insist on a gag order after they looked at the gun/settled?

Oh, in regards to cleaning the pistol, the battery issue still trumps, if it would not fire out of battery, and you had stuffed 12 slugs in the bore, used 3 calibers too large a bullet in the final one, AND had not cleaned the gun in 14 years, and it kabooms like this, the battery issue is still there, and is the only relevant issue to the cause of the explosion and resultant failure of the pistol construction. The fact the hand was intact enough to use later, and that the person can still see is interestingly good, but it does not mean that he did not get lucky, and he is owed something for his pain, suffering, bills, and another pistol of his choice within the cost range of this one, preferably from his manufacturer of choice. I bet there is a flinch tendency now, so they could really be nice and send him to a Front Sight 4 day CCW class for a hundred bucks or so and help him overcome that flinch so that he is whole again after the other bills are paid (as he will still have scarring and other issues with his hand for the rest of his life). JMO

Back