My Dream AR Build

I deviated from the original list in a few areas but here it is finally. It's right around 6lbs complete. The handguards took a while to get because they changed them up a bit and called them "gen 2"and I kept thinking that I got the wrong one

0221152018_zpsf32c9233.jpg

Yeah it's the vx3 1.75-6, it cost me a few ounces to go with it over the 1.5-5. I'm pretty impressed with the quality so far as I didn't know what to expect when I bought it (never looked through a vx3 before). I'll have it out at the range in a day or two to compare it with other scopes and get a better impression of it.

The 15" handguard, the AR Gold trigger, the TPS rings, and the scope all added a little weight to the initial estimation.

I am considering a few other parts to lighten it up, but at this point it comes at a cost that I was trying to avoid.

I brought it out the other day and got the gas block adjusted properly. It cycles nicely, I didn't have any issues.

I put together a lightweight and skipped the ti parts but the scope is always the heavy part. I switched from the Burris PEPR to the Nikon P223, they weigh within an oz of the Aero Precision (which were on my list) and saved 6 oz. Eventually I switched to the Minimalist stock and dropped scope for a 5#15oz rifle ready to shoot.
ab68fe4d-5a22-4715-86e5-e38c9b84f71b_zps5d519aca.jpg

3 gun ready, it weighs about 7# with the scope.
6f66dd83-1efb-4e64-a491-fdd97338c93a_zpsed275f31.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84I deviated from the original list in a few areas but here it is finally. It's right around 6lbs complete. The handguards took a while to get because they changed them up a bit and called them "gen 2"and I kept thinking that I got the wrong one

0221152018_zpsf32c9233.jpg

Why such long handguards? What advantage is there to having those handguards over a shorter set?

"Nice looking gun" I about used the 2A titanium gas block and pivot pins on the 6.8 I am building but wanted a adjustable gas block is went with SLR Sentry but the 2A stuff looks really nice. Have you seen the titanium hybrid bolt they are coming out with that you can adjust the gas through it.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGYour scope is mounted pretty far back. Is that comfortable?

most of mine sit about the same point. i find that for me at least, if i flush them up with the rear of the receiver i'm usually stretching too far forward to get a comfortable cheek weld.

i've always been of the mindset to bring the scope to whats comfortable to you, instead of brining you to whats comfortable for the scope. it doesn't care where it sits, as long as its tight and true to the bore axis and isn't canted. the scope will never get uncomfortable, you on the other hand just might
smile.gif

I'm really digging the builds that Yote Parisher and Redleg did. I'm waiting on a 18 inch barrel that will be covered with a 17 inch carbon fiber handgaurd.

Back