My “bait” lol

Spurchaser

So this spot is my “hog” spot. Right now we don’t have ANY hogs on the property, they tend to be nomadic in nature. We know they’re about 2 miles away because that plantation is hunting, trapping, and running them with dogs trying to kill as many as possible.
We’ve recently burned and I went and put me camera back up and decided to bait it up again if/when they show back up. Plus it supplements the deers natural browse.
I’ve killed a couple coyotes back here and caught several in traps. Our coyotes tend to have certain areas they stay. To the West is a stand of small planted pines that’s about so thick you can’t see through it (not our property). The the East is an overgrown pond thick around the edges even with the blocking that takes place every Fall.
So what is my magical bait???
Peanuts!
This joker has showed up 2 nights in a row.
IMG_8224.jpeg

IMG_8225.jpeg

And now he’s apparently hungry enough to show up while I’m at work!!

IMG_8226.jpeg

IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_8228.jpeg

Now I just need a wind with an N in it!

And yeah, that tower stand has seen its better days. The covering is about gone, but it’s survived 2 tornadoes and 1 hurricane!

Attachments

• IMG_8225.jpeg
    IMG_8225.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 18
I had pics of a coyote that made a meal out of a pumpkin on my backyard trail cam a few years ago. I had about 50 pics of a coyote with his head in the pumpkin and even lying down eating it. Unfortunately they’re gone. They’ll eat about anything as previously mentioned.

Peanuts also attract small meal items the coyote like, mice, rats, squirrel, just the fresh odor has curiosity. Deer, Turkey's,quail hanging around doesn't hurt coyote hunting opportunities.

What kind of peanuts are we talking about and do you spread them out like feeding chickens?
Fresh peanuts, oil stock, shelled, blanched, or even some in the hulls. I take whatever my son brings me. I’ll just scatter the bag, but not really spread out too much.

Spartans are really great cameras with like real time photos. There is a 30-45 seconds lag time from when the pic is taken until I get it. But that’s plenty of time for me to make stalks on pigs.
If there’s a lot of activity at night I’ll sneak in (wind allowing) from the South (where tower stand is) and have a higher vantage point to be able to see in that low area and up the other side. It’s a perfect ambush spot when the wind is right.

I would sit a whole day in the stand with my pellet rifle, for a shot at that squirrel. And it would be my first squirrel to go to the taxidermis.

Nah man, there’s a charcoal colored one back there that looks a lot better. I used to think there weren’t that many until I started out there. They outnumber the Grey squirrels.

Saw an albino gray squirrel in town, no chance at it, saw a black phrase gray in New Ulm, Mn driving thru one day. Thursday I happened across a fresh Otter road kill, no hide damage 46" long male. I called the C.O. he emailed me a permit to keep(cannot sell it) I'm going to have it tanned, for a hat.
IMG_20240321_081545132.jpg

Back