My Alaskan Brown Bear Hunt

alf

I decided to start a separate thread for my dream hunt for Alaskan Brown Bear, & add more pictures.

It all started when I went to the annual Deer Expo in Wi, and there was an outfitter advertising a cancellation hunt for 2/3rds off. The hunt was to take place 200 miles north of Dillingham, Alaska. Evidently it was a hard sell, as you had to leave in a week. As I always wanted to go, it was a no brainer, all I had to do is buy a pair of hip boots, book the flight, & I was covered.

I already had the gun part taken care of, a custom 700 stainless in 358 STA, shooting 250 Partitions.

This was home:

1706466019611.jpeg

1706466252573.jpeg

The first 11 days were basically hike and glass. Not much to report except getting in the middle of the amazing caribou migration.

1706470323120.jpeg

Day 12, we finally spotted a bear laying on top of a moose kill in the wide open. In the kill pic, you can see the treeline in the background from where we first saw him.

My biggest concern when hunting was that the guide would be quick on the trigger to back me up, & I repeatably told him that I wanted to do it myself if at all possible. I understood circumstances dictate actions.

We snuck across the open ground trying to keep hidden behind small bushes & drifts. We eventually got to the point that the guide stayed back, and I kept going. When we parted, I told him "This was like sneaking up on the world's largest coyote".

I got to about 100 yards, sat up, and as I rested my elbows on my knees, I realized my bullet might not clear the snow in front of me. So I scooted ahead a bit till I was sure I had a clear shot. I glanced back at the guide, & nodded that I was going to shoot. I actually took my eyes off the target, paused, & took a couple of deep breaths to calm myself down.

1706470476417.jpeg

The bear was laying down, left side quartering to me, eyes closed......I fired..... He jumped up, and spun around so fast, I thought I had missed. He was now standing broadside quartering away, and the 2nd shot hit center mass breaking the off shoulder. Down he went, only to jump right back up, and offer the same shot, so I hit him a third time. He finally appeared to be down for the count.

The guide came up to be & congratulated me on my shooting, & I thanked him for not shooting. I reloaded, we circled him, and I gave him an insurance shot that ultimately wasn't needed, but better to be safe than sorry.

As we walked up to him, the guide keep saying, holy shit, you realize what we have here!!!!!

We had no idea he was as big as he was, no ground shrinkage here.

1706470663314.jpeg

While skinning him out, we found one bullet just under the hide on the off shoulder, so either the 2nd or 3rd shot.

Picture perfect mushroom with 75% weight retention.

1706470862584.png

1706470898750.jpeg

After skinning him out, we contacted home base, and they flew in to whisked me back to camp in the Super Cub to catch the afternoon flight for home.

I had to leave the bear in camp, which was later air freighted back home after fleshing & salting.

The fabulous mount by done by Garry Senk Taxidermy here in Wisconsin.

1706471201974.jpeg

1706471318242.jpeg

Attachments

• 1706466182285.jpeg
    1706466182285.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 31
As Paul Harvey used to say, "now for the rest of the story". Thanks, alf for sharing the entire hunt w/us. (y)

I decided to start a separate thread for my dream hunt for Alaskan Brown Bear, & add more pictures.

It all started when I went to the annual Deer Expo in Wi, and there was an outfitter advertising a cancellation hunt for 2/3rds off. The hunt was to take place 200 miles north of Dillingham, Alaska. Evidently it was a hard sell, as you had to leave in a week. As I always wanted to go, it was a no brainer, all I had to do is buy a pair of hip boots, book the flight, & I was covered.

I already had the gun part taken care of, a custom 700 stainless in 358 STA, shooting 250 Partitions.

This was home:

View attachment 5506

View attachment 5508

The first 11 days were basically hike and glass. Not much to report except getting in the middle of the amazing caribou migration.

View attachment 5509

Day 12, we finally spotted a bear laying on top of a moose kill in the wide open. In the kill pic, you can see the treeline in the background from where we first saw him.

My biggest concern when hunting was that the guide would be quick on the trigger to back me up, & I repeatably told him that I wanted to do it myself if at all possible. I understood circumstances dictate actions.

We snuck across the open ground trying to keep hidden behind small bushes & drifts. We eventually got to the point that the guide stayed back, and I kept going. When we parted, I told him "This was like sneaking up on the world's largest coyote".

I got to about 100 yards, sat up, and as I rested my elbows on my knees, I realized my bullet might not clear the snow in front of me. So I scooted ahead a bit till I was sure I had a clear shot. I glanced back at the guide, & nodded that I was going to shoot. I actually took my eyes off the target, paused, & took a couple of deep breaths to calm myself down.

View attachment 5510

The bear was laying down, left side quartering to me, eyes closed......I fired..... He jumped up, and spun around so fast, I thought I had missed. He was now standing broadside quartering away, and the 2nd shot hit center mass breaking the off shoulder. Down he went, only to jump right back up, and offer the same shot, so I hit him a third time. He finally appeared to be down for the count.

The guide came up to be & congratulated me on my shooting, & I thanked him for not shooting. I reloaded, we circled him, and I gave him an insurance shot that ultimately wasn't needed, but better to be safe than sorry.

As we walked up to him, the guide keep saying, holy shit, you realize what we have here!!!!!

We had no idea he was as big as he was, no ground shrinkage here.

View attachment 5511

While skinning him out, we found one bullet just under the hide on the off shoulder, so either the 2nd or 3rd shot.

Picture perfect mushroom with 75% weight retention.

View attachment 5512

View attachment 5513

After skinning him out, we contacted home base, and they flew in to whisked me back to camp in the Super Cub to catch the afternoon flight for home.

I had to leave the bear in camp, which was later air freighted back home after fleshing & salting.

The fabulous mount by done by Garry Senk Taxidermy here in Wisconsin.

View attachment 5514

View attachment 5515
Unreal.

Thanks for sharing this, really. Such an insanely cool color phase. The story really put it into perspective, to neat.

Congrats again on an awesome trophy. What an accomplishment.

The 75% retention is just reassurance that Nosler is king šŸ˜‰

Wow, incredible. Just spending 12 days like that is something most of us can't imagine, and to top if off with success at the end is just awesome, congrats!

For some reason I never got an age of him from Alaska Fish & Game.

However, the old boy had been around the block a time or two, as all four canines were busted or wore more than half way down.

1706642087884.jpeg

To put the size into perspective, here a nice size black bear skull in comparison.

1706642172783.jpeg

Awesome! From one gun nut to another, I would like to know about the 358 Shooting Times Alaska. Was it built for a future Alaskan hunt?

Awesome! From one gun nut to another, I would like to know about the 358 Shooting Times Alaska. Was it built for a future Alaskan hunt?
This goes back to the magazine days of Shooting Times and Layne Simpson. It all started with the 7 STW that I fell in love with. I had bought a stainless Remington 700 Sendero in the 7 STW when the only brass available was the 8 Mag, which was a simple neck down to 7mm. I ended up selling the barrel off it, and had a 28" Lilja fluted #5 chambered up.

Then the 358 STA was created by Layne, so being a gun nut, I had the gunsmith chamber one up for the gun, making it a switch barrel combo. I knew I wanted to do a big bear hunt some day, so that was a good enough reason to build it. Lucky for me I was prepared when this hunt popped up, as I didn't have anything suitable otherwise.

The 358 STA is more than just a necked up 8 Mag, it's actually an improved round with less case taper & a sharper shoulder.

Nice bear! I always wanted to hunt brown bears but probably never will. At 2/3 off you made a good decision. Great memories!

I was familiar with the 7mm STW and heard of the 358 but first time seeing it
looks like and proven to be very reliable
congrats again from down south of you in Sun Prairie

Back