muzzle loader accuracy problems with 50cal encore

Rockymthunter, I finally got my tc xtp hp 300grs bullets and my BH 209 powder. put my 3x9 leupold on my encore, 80grs equivalent BH209 at 70yds shot 12" low.Increased to 90grs and had a good 3shot group about 2". adjusted scope up and had two bullets touching about one and half inches high of dead center and 1/2" left.
all told I shot ten times and after five shots ran a dry patch down the barrel. the last two loadings I actually had to hammer the sabot down the barrel to get it seated, so much for the fifteen shots without cleaning. this is the best the tc has shot since I switched to sabots. I will have to try power belts or hornady conicals with BH209 but I think the sabot bullet is better constructed.
I have not recieved my cva optima and the BH breech plug,wanting to see if the cva will shoot conicals. so far so good, will let you know abot the cva. spike

Things I have learned.
Do not use a petroleum product
in your gun.
Clean all the bore butter out before using sabots
When using full bore bullets -try a bore butter covered felt wad under the bullet.
I have very good luck with Jim Shockey Gold Powder-Loose powder of any sort has worked better than any pellet I have tried.

Originally Posted By: RalphyProbably not want you want to hear but I had the same problems with a tc had to get a different barrel I read a lot on the web b4 I did and it seems to be a issue I now shoot my savage smokless only

Ditto!

JB Bore paste will help you out, those tc's are very tight bored and so even BH209 fouling can affect the amount of pressure required to seat the bullet. But so far it sounds like you are really onto something as far as sabots go, tc's shoot sabots real good, just a hit or miss with conicals.

Your Optima will shoot thors perfectly. I highly recommend the Thor Bullets. I know they are expensive for target practice but you can always switch to a cheaper projectile just for fun practice and then switch over to the thor for muzzleloader season.

shermanrm, tried felt pad under tc's maxi ball it was about a 6" group at 50yds with t7 pellets. was wanting to use the maxi's on elk. the t7 granuals and power belts, hornady conicals and t7 primers shot a little better at 50yds.

BH209 calls for regular cleaning solvents not to use water as with t7. I agree about the removing of bore butter with sabots.

I have fired close to 100 conicals with poor accuracy using t7 powder. the only thing I have found is sabots shoot in my tc where I feel confident with the groups. can't say for sure if it's the powder, but my tc likes sabots. spike

Back