Muzzle break and accuracy?

Originally Posted By: DABI If there was that much stress in the very end of the barrel that turning it down and threading it would change the ID Diam. of the barrel on the end the barrel would be junk to start with.

Evil Lurker
Are you talking "in Theory" or have you been able to actually measure the change?

I know that My 300 Win. Mag would not shoot as well with the Holland Break as it did with out it. It went from shooting 1 MOA and under to 1-1/4 MOA with it installed. Never thought about changing the load to see if it would shoot the way it did before the break was installed.

When Holland of Powers Oregon installed the break they re-crowned it.

I shot one shot from it in the field at a nice buck and that is the last time I ever used it. No ear protection. WOW did it ever hurt
cry.gif
Can I say my ears rang for about a week after.

It has been a safe Queen ever since, but will be back in action soon as I am having the break removed and re-crowned.
thumbup.gif
But not by Holland's.

DAB

[/quote

It's not "theory", it's very easy to measure, if you have precision measurment equipment. And it doesn't need to be a barrel, any piece of steel round stock will have retained stress.

Now, will it always shoot "worse" after you reduce the OD and thread it? No, probably not. It might improve it.

I was just giving him an FYI that, if it's currently a very accurate barrel, it may not be after machining on the end of it.

Did you ask them why they did that?

Have brakes on two 7MM REM MAGS; both are very accurate at 200 yds(which is their zero). ONLY objections I have:

1. Noise!! Better wear ear protection.

2. Back blast cloud makes it impossible to see target for 1-2 seconds. (shooting my own loads)

NO recoil to speak of though and my wife uses the custom 98 for all her deer hunting. No complaints their either.

Originally Posted By: Ackman Threading the muzzle won't have any effect on accuracy, that's complete nonsense.

I agree. I have seen guns that were threaded after the original build was complete. IME it may change POI somewhat, but nothing that can't be tweaked back in, provided it was done correctly. I would not say that it changed the overall accuracy of the rifles in way or another..........

I would call and talk To Daryle Holland. He is a great guy and stands behind everything he does and is a perfectionist. I have 2 guns with his brakes and both hit same spot as when I sent them off.

His brakes are probably the most efficent on the market.

DAB if you want to sell the brake let me know.

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: 2muchgunBrakes suck.........

+1 If they were any good the benchrest shooters would have them.

They are not legal in alot of shooting sports like f-class etc.

Originally Posted By: flyinlizard1 Got no compliants with either one of theses,
PA160040.jpg

Is that a Harrells in the top picture? I just installed one on a .338-300 Ultra improved and hoping that it works well, it will be the first brake from them I have used.

Im not too current with my shooting sport rules but, I believe you have now use breaks at benchrest competitions. Fclass is still a no... thats good.

I have two breaks. One on a .338 RUM and one on a 257 Ackley. The 257 ackley was for my kids when they were first hunting so they wouldn't become recoil shy. It was great kids could shoot the 257 ackley with no fear of any recoil to speak of. The .338 RUM was for me to avoid recoil. Both guns shot great before and after the breaks were installed. I have a custom thread protector for each gun and have removed the breaks and shot each rifle without them. The .338 packs much better in a saddle scabbard without the break and shoots to the same point of impact as does the .257. After experiencing the blow back of debris as someone stated earlier I quit using the muzzle brake on the .338 RUM unless Im at the range on the bench.

Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: Evil_LurkerIf you start turning down and threading the end of your barrel, you're taking a risk of changing your accuracy. There's always some residual stress left in the barrel steel, and it's going to change diameter slightly, especailly if it's a tapered barrel.

That's usually not good right at the muzzle.

If there was that much stress in the very end of the barrel that turning it down and threading it would change the ID Diam. of the barrel on the end the barrel would be junk to start with.

DAB

Evil Lurker
Are you talking "in Theory" or have you been able to actually measure the change?

I know that My 300 Win. Mag would not shoot as well with the Holland Break as it did with out it. It went from shooting 1 MOA and under to 1-1/4 MOA with it installed. Never thought about changing the load to see if it would shoot the way it did before the break was installed.

I shot one shot from it in the field at a nice buck and that is the last time I ever used it. No ear protection. WOW did it ever hurt
cry.gif
Can I say my ears rang for about a week after.

It has been a safe Queen ever since, but will be back in action soon as I am having the break removed and re-crowned.
thumbup.gif
But not by Holland's.

DAB

With all I said above. I have to add that the wife had a Remington 30-06 that Hollands put a break on the same day they did my 300 Win Mag. Exact same style.

And I must give them credit as it shot just as well with the break as without it maybe a little better. The wife does not have the 06 as she gave it to one of our son in laws. She has shoulder problems and can not hold it up anymore.
cry.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAB
And I must give them credit as it shot just as well with the break as without it may be a little better.

Yes, that could happen, too.

Did they re-crown that barrel after they threaded it? If so, that could also explain it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerOriginally Posted By: DAB
And I must give them credit as it shot just as well with the break as without it may be a little better.

Yes, that could happen, too.

Did they re-crown that barrel after they threaded it? If so, that could also explain it.

I think it was but am not 100% sure.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerIf you start turning down and threading the end of your barrel, you're taking a risk of changing your accuracy. There's always some residual stress left in the barrel steel, and it's going to change diameter slightly, especailly if it's a tapered barrel.

What a load.....

Originally Posted By: CAFROriginally Posted By: Evil_LurkerIf you start turning down and threading the end of your barrel, you're taking a risk of changing your accuracy. There's always some residual stress left in the barrel steel, and it's going to change diameter slightly, especailly if it's a tapered barrel.

What a load.....

Yeah, get a barrel, have someone that actually knows what they're doing measure it before and after, then tell me what you find out.

And of course there's no residual stress left in a barrel, that's why they all shoot one-hole groups as they progress from cold-bore to hot on a long shot string.

The lack of stress, right?
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: CAFROriginally Posted By: Evil_LurkerIf you start turning down and threading the end of your barrel, you're taking a risk of changing your accuracy. There's always some residual stress left in the barrel steel, and it's going to change diameter slightly, especailly if it's a tapered barrel.

What a load.....

Yup.

What a load...

Hey Evil...

Dude!! You need to spend some time on a lathe before you make this poopie up - I spent 7 years as a working 'smith and NEVER had a barrel change do to turning (or anything else).

Originally Posted By: sixtwoeightyfourOriginally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: 2muchgunBrakes suck.........

+1 If they were any good the benchrest shooters would have them.

They are not legal in alot of shooting sports like f-class etc.
In Bench Rest, you're shooting a very heavy rifle with a 6MM PPC cartridge. No recoil to matter much and they disturb the guy shooting next to you.

I never had a rifle with a break until a few years ago. I picked up an Ackley .243 that had one installed and was amazed how well it shot and how it recoiled about like my .223. I decided to stick one on my .338 and 7MM Rem Mag. Didn't change the way they shot but sure made it more enjoyable to shoot them. When I took that Ackley to the Dog town I found that I could watch my hits and not need anyone to tell me what my shots were doing. I'll never build another rifle without a break.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI better call my buddy Karl over at Kampfelds and tell him of all the guns he has screwed up. Shoot, better call Magnaport too. I'll be back, gotta run........

Here's one of Karl's brakes:

IMG_5932.jpg

Originally Posted By: JerrySchmittIn Bench Rest, you're shooting a very heavy rifle with a 6MM PPC cartridge. No recoil to matter much and they disturb the guy shooting next to you.

If I'm doing any kind of serious shooting, and some douche nozzle with a brake sits down next to me I generally want to strangle him on the spot.

We had a guy with a braked .308 come to one of our 600 yard prone matches. I didn't know the guy and wasn't really paying much attention to him until he touched one off and grass/dirt flew in my face
mad.gif

Nobody would shoot next to him, and he pretty much screwed up our whole match. He had to shoot separately after everyone else was done. Meaning he held up 23 other guys. Brakes do not belong in matches of any kind IMO........

Back