mt lion calling need tips

Curt,

I will check it out and get back to you.

LionHo,

If I had twenty years of sour grapes in cougar calling, I still would not try to harpoon an aspiring hunter's attempt to join the fold.

And as a RANCHER ..... I know all to well that call shy predators are harder to call. But as Curt wrote IF and that all comes down to jurisdictions ...... IF one gets a governmental entity to help ..... it will be hounds not calls ....... with a few exceptions that will be utilized.

In this state if you have depredation by lion, you get sandbagged ...... unless you are lucky enough to have problems on a proactive Reservation.

And, ADC is as dead as king Tut HERE in Washington State!

And the fact of matter is that hunters ...... good salt of the earth REAL HUNTERS ....... do bag cats ..... with calls no less!

Three 44s

Last edited:
I own a pack of hounds,and have been calling for almost 20 years.If you want to play around,calling cats is fun.If you want to kill cats,use the dogs.I have spent many days afield trying to call a cat,good dogs are better hunters than good humans.

Hello Duane@ssu,

Hounds would be fine ....... if you could use them. Oregon is much more proactive than Washington and likey to "call in the hounds".

Here all we have for lion control is the 200+ that our hunters kill every year and a pilot hound project in five northern counties that accounts for some more cougs taken. The "then" Governor vetoed the opt in hound provision for other counties.

The current Governor wrote the Federal Department of Agriculture and ordered them to cease and dissist ADC control efforts in this State. The Feds have not been able to do much since state matching funds were yanked.

....... After the Cease and Desist Order, the governor said in a town hall meeting locally that she would like to stop the bears and lions from eating cattle before the state would pay for loses .....

How can anybody in their right mind ...... on the one hand send a Cease and Desist Order to the only agency trying to help livestock owners against Depredation and then claim that she would like to prevent livestock from being eaten by predators?

Maybe our "good" governor is thinking about outlawing livestock? (to prevent their demise at the jaws of predators)

Three 44s

Last edited:
Back