Moving to denver how is the rabbit hunting?

Here is what I wrote to DOW

The following question has been submitted through the Division of Wildlife
FAQ Ask A Question page.

I am new to colordo and very confused about hunting rabbit with my beagle
during rifle season for big game. First off why can you hunt birds and not
rabbit with a dog during this season? I think maybe someone should review
this law. If a guy has a shotgun with birdshot and no big game tag then
what is the problem?If the dog is after birds and not rabbit what is the
difference? I can see if you have a gun capable of killing big game with a
tag for big game and not being able to have a dog. Someone like me has no
interest in trackiing big game with a hound.It would make sense if during
big game season you can only use a hound for rabbit with birdshot and
rimfire guns. That would be logical to stop big game from being tracked
with dogs.

Maybe you can clear up some of my confusion. Can you use a beagle during
the entire rabbit season in SWA's that are open to small game but not
big game? Same thing for the small game walk in areas can you use a beagle
the entire rabbit season? I just moved to the denver area is there going
to be someplace within an hour or two drive that i can run my beagle on
rabbits every day of rabbit season? Also it says 1st , 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,
late seasons etc. Does no dogs for rabbit apply to all of those or just
the 1st one? The regulations brochure should go into more detail about
dates and units closed to using dogs for rabbit so your average guy can
quickly and clearly understand the laws.Your laws and dates etc are
extremely confusing. I'm from CA and even there the regulations make more
sense and are easy to understand.I hope you can explain all this to me so
i dont' break any laws.

Here is what DOW responded with.

Thank you for your email and comments about hunting rabbits with your dog during the small game season dates Oct 1 - end of February 20010.

The regulation for use of dogs is:

Quote: CHAPTER 0 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
ARTICLE IV - MANNER OF TAKING WILDLIFE
#004 -
2. Dogs
a. Use of dogs in the taking of wildlife is prohibited except as authorized in Commission Regulations. (See also: §33-4-101.3, C.R.S.) 1. Dogs may be used to hunt or take mountain lion, small game, waterfowl, and furbearers, only as an aid to pursue, bring to bay, retrieve, flush or point, but not otherwise. Further, dogs shall not be used to hunt or take cottontail rabbits, snowshoe hares, and tree squirrels where a regular deer, elk, pronghorn or moose season is in progress. Unquote

The following information is provided by our Law Enforcement Office.

"This regulation, I believe, stems from back in the 1960's and 70's when it was a common practice to run deer with dogs. Although it is illegal in Colorado, there were a lot of states, especially in the southeast that would allow, and some still do, to have dogs run deer. The most common dog that they would use would be the beagle which is also common for hunting rabbits and squirrels. I had several instances when I was on district in the early 1980's of people using beagles to run deer.

Therefore, the regulation was implemented so that dogs could not be used to hunt rabbits and squirrels when a regular big game seasons is in progress. (like you stated the "01", "02", "03", and "04" rifle seasons). It does not include the rifle late seasons or private land seasons.

The regulation is somewhat archaic since the season structures have changed drastically from where there was only 3-4 rifles seasons period for these big game species. If Mr. Sims wanted to bring up the issue, he can submit a citizen's petition to the Wildlife Commission. It has not really been an issue in the past since hunting cottontails with dogs is not real popular in Colorado like it is in other states."

Public rulemaking policy petition information is on the Division's Website at
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres...gPetitions.pdf. If you use your dog to hunt cottontail rabbits in the 2009-2010 small game season, suggest you use the 2009 Colorado Big Game Information brochure to check for an open regular big game season in the game management unit where you want to hunt.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Respectfully,
Jerry
Colorado Division of Wildlife
303-291-7419

Originally Posted By: gwhOkay TripleD I did some research for you on the bird vs. rabbit issue. What I was informed is that bird dogs are trained to point or flush and rabbit dogs (beagles) are trained to chase/pursue game thus the presumed chance that a dog could get on a deer elk and chase it. If a hunter witnesses a dog chasing or harassing big game in Colorado they can shoot the dog. This is what I was informed by the DOW. There will be an investigation and you could be found guilty of animal cruelty for shooting the dog depending where you are in the state.

That is really a messed up law. Maybe you call DOW and report poaching but shooting a mans dog is rediculous!

Originally Posted By: odawgpBest small game hunting here is high, especially wilderness areas just don't let the fed catch you with the dog off leash. there are other laws regarding dogs on public lands some areas they are more heavily enforced check those out as well. the CDOW rules supersede all other laws during hunting seasons but are in addition too any local laws set fourth by the county or city you are in. FWIW by law a dog must be leashed on FS & BLM land. It is rarely enforced but could be at anytime should that person feel the dogs is a nuisance. And I wasn't being rude, there really aren't many rabbits here. Way to many predators IMO

What is FS land? Forest service meaning national forest?

In CA and Oregon you can never have a dog off leash, however there is an exception for hunting. It is the same thing on BLM land. I went through gunnison this summer it looked like there would be alot of rabbit around gunnison and montrose. Your telling me there aren't very many rabbit out there?!

To be honest I'm trying to convince my wife to move to oregon but she wants to go to a school in denver and doesn't like the rain in portland. Colorado is nice to visit but I don't think I will like all the hunting laws and the lack of rabbit hunting. I can't find any beaglers in the state except 1 in pueblo. Plus, living in denver it means a long drive to hunt rabbit and even then i gather its mostly jack rabbit.

Oregon is rabbit heaven i know 2 people with packs of champion beagles! There are 7 kinds of rabbits, the most of any state! The rabbit season is open all year , statewide , on all species! I already know a number of fantastic rabbit spots! They also have good pheasant chukar quail and grouse hunting all of which have 4 month long seasons! I know a few spots that have quail, chukar cottontail steal head and salmon all in 1 valley and 1 campground! The snake river is famous for pheasants its just a days drive away! Public land is endless and there isn't anyone out there you practicaly have it all to yourself. Now I just have to convince my wife that denver sucks!

Last edited:
Have her drive a few times in denver while rush hour. That will change her mind. I went threw denver this year. Well on the out skirts any way. Man the trafic was bad bumper to bumper. I go to the beauuuutiful colorado every year for two weeks on vacation. I stay at taylor park for the two weeks im there. I have yet to see a rabbit in that area. Im sure there there but i havent seen one yet. And i have road and walked drove all kind of trails in the area. I sure love the beauty of colorado. Makes it hard to come home every year. Good luck on what ever you decide or where you decide to go. kansas has some good rabbit hunting. You only live once i would go where the hunting is good. theres tons of good schools all over.

Heck we have alot of rabbits around here. I would love to have you come down so I could see how hunting with beagles works. I have a GSP and I feel the same way about someone shooting my dog. Just to let you "big game hunters" know, if and when my dog does jump a deer and thinks about chasing a rabbit and or a deer he will get smacked with the shock collar.
I would not and will not let him run big game nor any other animal, cows, horses, whatever.

I know all big game hunters are not jerks, heck I love to hunt deer and elk, I just don't think that everyone feels the same way about hunting rabbits. I grew up hunting them so I could learn marksmanship, and to help feed our family.

I really don't think that was the kind of information that he was looking for when he posted about moving to Denver, and I am sure that you guys didn't appreciate getting badmouthed about your DOW. We are not and will not always agree with them, but those are informed decisions from years of experience. They are probly trying to avoid confrontations over such things as a dog chasing a trophy deer or elk.

Back