Move Over Bubba There's a New Dog in Town! Final

mikegranger

Those of you who have been reading my stories know about Bubba and Dash. Bubba has been my go to dog for the eight previous coyote seasons but knowing a good thing never lasts, I purchased Dash 4 years ago. I don’t keep yearly records, but I estimate Bubba has been on somewhere between 300-400 coyote kills. He is an exceptional dog. Dash has always been the dog I left behind, either at the house or the box in the truck. I usually don’t hunt both dogs at the same time, as they can be rather intimidating to a single coyote. Both dogs have very different hunting styles. Bubba will constantly toll out in front of the stand, only stopping to take a momentary look, then back to tolling. Dash will sit somewhere close and watch for coyotes like a hawk, and can see them considerably better than Bubba.

Since Bubba is getting old, I was bound and determined to use Dash more this year and that I have.

I flew back from Oklahoma after spending Christmas with the parents, kids and grandkids. We were there for several days and I was visited out. Although I never tire of Olivia sitting in grandpa’s lap flipping the pages while I read her a book.

DSC_6211_zps4d8e8435.jpg

My lovely wife stayed for an extra two weeks as she teaches nursing and the new semester wouldn’t begin until mid-January.

I’m a loner at heart and badly needed some peace and serenity of the remote vastness of the Big Sky Country. Upon returning I spent a day getting ready for another extended hunt. Early the following morning the dogs and trailer get loaded and we’re off to the happy hunting grounds. On our way to “the spot” I stop at the local grocery store to buy a few supplies and see a fellow firefighter who I know is also a dyed in the wool coyote hunter. He sees me too and we both came to the same conclusion. The conversation went like this: Hey Mike, how are you doing? Fine Chris, what are you up to? I’m going coyote hunting. Oh yeah, where are you headed? Did you say …………. Ah, Chris, I was just headed there myself. How about we get the maps out and agree to go in opposite directions.” While we were looking at the maps Chris tells me he and his wife have been hunting for the past week in the ………. area, and have been slaying them! What, crap, I was going there in a few days myself. Double Crap!

Needless to say I was glad Chris and his wife were having good success but now my plans were all shot to heck. I went in our agreed upon direction and the first call was near a ranch house that I’d had luck at before. I knew for a fact the rancher had a “bone pile” of dead livestock but did not know if anything had been taken there recently. Bubba stayed in the box and Dash was more than happy to come out and play. He tends to roam further out when Bubba isn’t on the stand thus I had to call him back a couple of times. I was just about to give up when a very dark coyote appears 200 yards away. Dark coyotes always mean mange in this part of the world. Dash locked onto him and ran out 50 yards or so to meet the visitor. The coyote came another 100 yards and once he stopped for a better look at Dash, my first mangy coyote of the year was dead.

DSC_6220_zps63f1486f.jpg

As you can see, the coyote is very mangy and would not have lasted much longer. When this bad, they tend to curl up in a haystack and die before winter is over. I don’t mind killing the mangy coyotes just to get them out of the population.

We hunted hard for the rest of the afternoon and only saw this. Pretty good indicator the coyote has been wised up.
DSC_6222_zps045ecab7.jpg

By mid-day I was feeling sorry for Bubba and had let him out of the box. We weren’t seeing any coyotes but he sure enjoyed running around. We did have one raise its head up out of the brush at 400 yds to look at the dogs when I blew the howler. It watched them for a while and when I blew the rabbit call took off in the opposite direction and never stopped to look back. Hmm, reckon it’s been called to before?

Dash has never been good about being in the box by himself and bawls like there is no tomorrow. I figured to give it another try on the last stand and only took Bubba. Sure enough, Dash, true to form, bawls like he’s being beat! We walk a ways from the truck and begin the calling sequence. It’s getting late, the light is fading and visibility isn’t so good. I barely make out a coyote coming in from our left with the binoculars and am ready for her when she stops to check out Bubba. The shot was 220 yards and at the report she takes off but piles up 75 yards later. By now you would have sworn someone was beating Dash within an inch of his life! I walked back to the truck and let him have some of the spoils. They were both chewing on the coyote by the time I took this picture. Can you see how happy they both are?
DSC_6236_zps88694d58.jpg

That was it for day one. Saw 5 coyotes and managed to get two of them.

I always enjoy reading about your adventures. Congrats on the Yotes, and your grandaughter is adorable.
tt1.gif

Last edited:
Man that is one cute kid!!!! I can she that she is the apple of her Papa's eye. I can't blame him either, she's a keeper.

Glad to hear that Dash is getting better and more experienced but there can only be ONE BUBBA!!!!

Love them stories Mike. You do paint a great picture and I would love to share some stands with you someday. Dog work like is what we are all after. So when is the video camera coming back out?

Glad to read that you, Bubba & Dash got a little action in!
I always love your stories & pics!

BTW, that's one cute little kid!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedfrogAin't grandkids great?
thumbup.gif
She's a keeper alright.

Looking forward to more of the story. we got tons of snow up here.

+1

I here ya bobtail. I'm waiting on the scope and it's about to kill me. Lost another coyote today. Me an the dogs tracked it a ways. I could see in the snow where it piled up twice then got back up and ran off. The shot was 320 yards! No more .204 for coyotes. I'll sight the Ruger #1 in tomorrow and will be ready for next weekend.

Yep, Olivia is a keeper for sure. I would take her on long walks and she would explore everything in her path. Once she got tired she'd turn to me and lift up her arms and I'd scoop her up. She figured out real quick grandpa liked walking and so did she. Now if I could just figure out how to get her mom and dad to move to Montana!

Day two began with a beautiful sunrise and another coyote sitting on its haunches at 1000 yards. I knew the gig was up so we moved on. Nothing on the second stand but the wind had changed directions and was now out of the west. I turned the truck into the wind and drove 3 miles in the opposite direction, parked and left Bubba in the box. Dash liked the new routine but Bubba surely did not. I could here him whining as I topped the hill we were hiding behind. Dash had taken off when I opened the tailgate so now I was wondering what had him so excited. He was several hundreds yards in front of me with nose to the ground and I knew he was on a fresh track. In no time 3 coyotes came over a small rise and they were staring eye to eye. Problem was I was not in a good spot and could easily be seen if they looked my way. It took me a couple of minutes to belly crawl to a shooting spot and by this time Dash had brought them two hundred yards closer. One tone on the collar and here he came, coyotes in tow. I was thinking, maybe this dog is going to make the grade after all. One slight problem, Dash didn’t know exactly where I was lying. He cast out to my left and didn’t see me then turned back towards the hidden truck. Good boy! In no time one dog and two coyotes were in my lap and the only one to stop was Dash.

I always shoot from the prone position. You can see by the pictures that there’s not a lot of vegetation to obstruct my view. This is great for a good solid, stationary rest, but sucks to try and hit a moving coyote. Instead of swinging the gun bounces as the legs of the bipod jump to each new position. The closest coyote was now less the 30 yards away and about to catch my wind. All I could do was get the gun in front of him and once he entered my sight picture, pull the trigger and hope for the best. I got lucky and swung to get on the next coyote. I had a good running away opportunity to shoot but just knew it would stop to see what happened to it’s partner. No such luck and as it ran out of sight I swung way back to my left to find the 3rd coyote broadside at 300 yards. I touched one off and down went dog #2. Dash was chewing on dog #1 and did not see the hit. As I walk over to see the first dog I look up just in time to see dog #2 running away on 3 legs. Dash and I take off in its direction but the coyote gets into a drainage and is gone. Of course Dash follows but never bays the coyote.

Here’s one of the 3 coyotes. These were the first coyotes Dash tolled without Bubba’s help.
DSC_6244_zps58997eea.jpg

About noon we had one coyote circle downwind at 400 yards and towards the end of the day, a pair sat on a hillside at 800 yards and looked at us. That is until Dash started running in their direction, then they high tailed it out of Dodge. That was pretty much it for day two, we saw 6 coyotes, got one and one escaped.

Day 3 began with us waiting for it to get light enough to call. Bubba got to stay in the truck and Dash came onto the stand. We’d been calling for several minutes. Dash was done casting out and sitting within ten feet of me. All of a sudden he throws his nose into the air, sniffs the wind, and takes off. There is a small hill upwind about 200 yards and Dash disappears over it. I’m debating whether to call him back or just wait it out and see what happens. The wait wasn’t long. Shortly he comes back over the hill with a coyote in tow!!! Yep, he’s got it figured out. I was so proud of Dash at that moment that I just sat and watched him work the coyote. They were going back and forth and eventually the coyote turned broadside and I dumped him. Here’s where it gets real interesting. Dash is chewing on the coyote, I’m beaming with pride and the sun is coming up. Below is a picture I took right after shooting the coyote.
DSC_6251_zpsc96ce79a.jpg

I noticed the sunrise and took this picture.
DSC_6253_zps9c898efb.jpg

As I’m putting the camera up another coyote comes streaking in and stands broadside at 250 yards, watching Dash chew on its buddy. I was just as surprised as Dash when he looked up at the shot to see another dead coyote! I call these “gifts”. You aren’t expecting anything; you didn’t really work for it, but nonetheless it’s now yours. I like gifts!

DSC_6265_zps350a3be8.jpg

Maybe Dash is thinking, “Get away Bubba, these are mine”!

The sunrise was all the sun I saw on day 3. As you can see, there’s a heavy bank of clouds rolling in. The flat light made seeing coyotes almost impossible. We did not see another coyote until mid-day and it wasn’t until I had called 15 minutes on the stand and was walking back to the truck. Here’s a video of both dogs working. Just click on the picture and it should play.

As you can see, Dash watches the horizons while Bubba runs around.

While walking back to the truck I see Dash stop midstride and look back across the drainage to the opposite hillside. Something was there. Of course I immediately stop to glass but see nothing. Dash won’t budge and I look again. Holy Smokes, there’s the coyote. I flop down and begin to call. The coyote continues to side hill at 230 yards and when it stopped was looking straight at me. There’s a slight crosswind so I hold off to the right and squeeze the trigger. The coyote jumps two hops right of its position and is now standing broadside looking back to where the bullet just zinged by. A quick follow up shot and coyote #3 is down.

Late in the day we had two more coyotes sitting on a hill at 1000+ yards and that was it. We did manage to get one of these at the last stand. No, I didn’t call it up, another “gift”.

DSC_6294_zpsbf317492.jpg

Today's total: Saw 5 coyotes and got 3 and one badger.

Sean, waiting on a scope so the new Swift hasn't even been fired yet. The runner was with the .204.

I'm hoping the scope shows up in another week or so which will give me another month of coyote hunting with it.

Back