Mossberg 535 or 835 ...deer/ turkey combo?

Cman962

I'm ready to buy a Camo 12ga. deer/turkey combo and I don't want to spend over $500. I also want to use it for coyote in the thicker areas I call in. I have a Bushmaster AR15 223 for the more open areas.
The Mossberg 535 and 835 fall in this price range and they look like decent quality too.
I found a place with the 535 combo for $370 and the 835 combo for $420.
Anyone have any experience, personally or through a friend, with either of these guns good or bad?

Any optional guns in this price range? They must be combo deals under $500. I don't want to spend another $200 later on a rifled slug barrel.

Please give me your feedback.

I had a 835 for a while. Compared to my 870, it seem to kick the crap out of me. I never had a problem with it, but the mag spring always seemed very week. I checked out a couple of other too, and their springs were the same. This was several years ago. I agree with the above post, go remington, you are going to end up there anyways so save some money. Just my 2 cents.

I have the 835 ultra mag with ported barrel. With 3 1/2" shells it will jar a lung loose. Other than the kick it is a great gun. I put the collapsible recoil reduction stock on it but haven't shot it since. Had it for 5 years and it's been a great gun.

I've got the 535 turkey/deer combo. I put a Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock on it. The recoil was rediculous. For some reason I get better patterns with 3" loads than I do with 3-1/2". Maybe I'm flinching or maybe its too much shot for the skinny barrel. I think I'd have been better off getting a 500.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

I wonder why the Mossberg kicks noticeably more than the Remington?

Did you guys with the Mossbergs try a limbsaver or comparable butt pad? If I have to spend @ $150 on a recoil reduction stock to shoot it I will rethink my options.

I have looked at Remington too the main reason I was leaning toward Mossberg is the price. Especially their combo prices.

Remington doesn't offer an 870 super mag deer /turkey combo in camo ( at least not on their website). I probably don't "need" 3 1/2" chamber but figure I should get it if I am buying a new gun "Just in Case".
I shouldered an 870 super mag with a shurshot stock and didn't like it at all. The drop is really shallow, my cheek hit the stock before I could get my head low enough to site down the barrel. My friend had the same problem.
I guess I will have to get a camo Turkey gun and buy the rifled slug barrel later if I go Remington.
Remington has the Super cell butt pads available too that are stock on the 887. The 887 comes with a long barrel though.I can get a Rem 887 for $350.

I grew up using an Ithaca model 37 20 gauge. I still use it for small game because it is light carrying around and doesn't blow the crap out of the game.

I might consider buying an auto 12 gauge for a deer / turkey gun if the recoil is a major issue in shooting a mag round. I plan to do some duck and goose hunting with a friend this year too. I don't want to come home crippled from shooting all day.

Sorry this got a little long.
Thanks again everyone. This is the info I want before I purchase.

Originally Posted By: Cman962
I wonder why the Mossberg kicks noticeably more than the Remington?

I shouldered an 870 super mag with a shurshot stock and didn't like it at all. The drop is really shallow, my cheek hit the stock before I could get my head low enough to site down the barrel. My friend had the same problem.

You gave yourself a bit of the answer to your question. There are two major reasons why one gun kicks more than another: weight and geometry. In this case, geometry plays a big role. A gun with more drop-to-comb, relative to another, will have more perceived recoil if all other things remain equal. The reason is that the pivot point(fulcrum) will be lower, causing the muzzle to jump more and result in more perceived-and possibly felt-recoil.

Mossberg 835 kicks a little but not adversely, and points nice. It's a good value for the $ (bang for your buck). In a pinch the center mounted tang safety is quick to push forward to the "fire" position.

The big benefit of the 870 is that it is easier to break down for maintenance.

YMMV.

Originally Posted By: 4949shooterMossberg 835 kicks a little but not adversely, and points nice. It's a good value for the $ (bang for your buck). In a pinch the center mounted tang safety is quick to push forward to the "fire" position.

The big benefit of the 870 is that it is easier to break down for maintenance.

YMMV.

Nice squeeze cocker. The P7M8/ PSP are one of the coolest handguns out there.

Thanks guys,
Pahntr760, I saw the Rem 870 super mag combo in wood and synthetic. This super mag is 3" chamber and there is not a camo version.

BrokenSVT, Yes that makes sense on the recoil explanation. IMO There is a noticeable difference in the drop between the standard Rem 870 stock and the shurshot stock (which is similar to a thumb hole stock).

As mentioned above everything I read says the Rem 870 doesn't kick as much as the Moss 835 with a similar stock. I'm sure there could be differences in drop causing part of the problem.

Thanks for the responses!

Until you guys liking the Moss 835 posted I had decided against the Mossberg. I am looking at other brands too now especially REM 870 super mag turkey with 3 1/2" chamber or REM 887. I could try to get a deal on a rifled slug barrel when I get a gun or save up and get one before deer season.

Thanks again everyone!
My brother just told me today one of his friends has a Moss 535 and a Rem 870 mag. I'm going to try and hook up with him tomorrow and shoot them both.
I want to make sure I get something I can shoot and enjoy.

Last edited:
If it helps at all(and I know you've mentioned not wanting to spend the extra $$$'s), my Mossie 500 with Blackhawk Spec Ops stock(the one with the recoil absorbtion) is a pussycat to shoot. My nine year-old and my 5', 110 lb wife both fired it a week or so ago with only minor grumbling
wink.gif

hahaha...good point!
Originally Posted By: bigoledodgelove my 835. if you are scared of a kick why not save some money and get ya a little 410. jk
I figured this was coming at some point....
Give that [beeep] gun! I'm not afraid to shoot it.... hahaha

I don't think I want to get a tactical stock for this shotgun. I'm a little old school when it comes to my hunting shotgun. Good to know you can tame the beast if you want to though.

Good point on the 887 rifled barrel! I didn't think of that. Your right that gun is pointed at the duck and goose hunters.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses.

Originally Posted By: Cman962
Good point on the 887 rifled barrel! I didn't think of that. Your right that gun is pointed at the duck and goose hunters.

And for that purpose, it's great!! And the armor-lokt stuff is great for hunting in salt water. The GSL will eat metal, quick!!

I got the 835 combo.It shoots great with both barrel's but I'm looking to try some other chokes for use on coyotes with the larger shot.The Ulti choke it came with shoots BB's good.I inherited my dad's 870 but it only has the deer barrel.I cant say as I see much difference between the two as far as quality goes.As to the recoil I haven't compared them side by side.IMO if you want to step up in quality the Browning BPS would be my choice but any combo version will put you above what you wanted to spend.

Bernie P.,
Thanks for the info. I figured a better recoil pad would help.

I just got home from meeting my friend, I borrowed an 870 3" mag and a 835 3 1/2" from my friend to shoot. I'm hoping to have time to shoot them later today.
I'll post back later.

I got my priorities backwards today ....I didn't get a chance to shoot them today before dark. Tied up tomorrow until late so I guess it will be Tues night before I have time.

I think I can buy the Moss 835 I borrowed cheap (@ $250) It looks like new with Turkey barrel only though. The guy I borrowed it from uses his 3" 870 all the time. Guess he is afraid of the moss ...lol. I guess I shouldn't laugh until I shoot it. He told me 3" shells weren't too bad in the Moss 835, It was the 3 1/2" shells that kick so bad.

As I said I have been doing most of my hunting with my Ithaca 20 gauge. It has the bottom eject like the browning. I might spend the extra money in a few years. For now just looking for a decent gun to get by for now. I bought my AR as a X-Mas gift to myself. So I kind of blew my gun budget for awhile.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Back