MORE Night time Doggies - BLACK DOG DOWN - BDD?

Not trying to get off track here, but do you literally stand up in the middle of the field with your rifle mounted on the tripod and spin around looking? I would guess you have to do this on new moons?

I usually setup in lean to or ladder stands on the field edges when night hunting. Didn't really think I could get away with standing out in the middle.

No. You still have to use some common sense, as you would in the middle of the day. Trying to make sure you aren't silhouetted. And no we don't scan with the gun, we have head mounted pvs14s. And no I don't need a new moon, or any moon.

Hes at the taxidermist now. Picked out a mount for him. He will stay there unless I kill something better looking. But I think it is hard to beat the black one.

Knocked the dust off my call and went out with buddy last night. Dogs were on it.

First set we went to I started off with a new howl. Nothing, waiting few min and went into this new coyote distress. Huge male comes barreling across wide open field. Barked to stop him, but seemed like coyote wouldn't take eyes off call. He stops and field edge and buddy and I double tap him. happened fast, roughly 6 minute mark. We call a bit more, and nothing. SO we walk out to get coyote, joking around and carrying on. Do the picture thing, and I start dragging coyote back. We get almost back to the rifles and dogs cut loose everywhere. I believe there were 4 different packs howling. We turned call right back on for while. No takers though. Did not get a chance to weigh this one. But id imagine its over 40 Lbs

Next set was right down road, so we go there and set up. As we are walking in, and few coyote start howling on other side of road behind us. So we get in there and set up. Same sequence as first set. 3 come out of field edge in front of us with the lead dog on a dead sprint to call. Back 2 pace back and forth at field edge, roughly 500 yards out. My buddy was up first on this set, so he drops this dog at 218 yards. We keep calling, and I noticed his coyote was moving. As it, took a few steps. It looks back and I put a 75gr AMAX between the eyes. The results were ugly.

Not a bad night for couple quick sets. Ended up burying my f250 2 sets later, so that put end to the night.

Thanks. It was good night. New TT sounds were flat out the ticket. That was #14 for year. Best I've ever done. Felt good to get back out and be on dogs heavy like that. Was you go back out tonight but rain whipped me.

Had no clue first dog was so big until we got up on it.

Loving my 22-250 !!Originally Posted By: weekenderOne heck of a hunt right there, a big ole 4X CONGRATS!!!!

Last edited:
Always good to get out ! Congrats!

I killed my first black/brindle colored coyote today.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokin250. New TT sounds were flat out the ticket. That was #14 for year. Best I've ever done.

I had the priviledge of hunting with Tony a few years ago. Super nice guy.

What specific TT sounds are you using?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAlways good to get out ! Congrats!

I killed my first black/brindle colored coyote today.
thumbup.gif

That's awesome I would like to see a pic also

Den raid was specifically the call I used that night. Messed with preacher man too.

Tony sold me my very first custom call about 10 years ago or so. Killed my first coyote 2 days later with that call. Hands down, Tony has been one of the more generous and knowledgeable guys to influence me in the coyote hunting world. Now I find out I can use his e calls. Pretty cool.

Hopefully weather cooperates this week. Ready to get back out.

Last edited:
Back