Montana 2017. Kinda Live. Final Update!

Took the morning to do a little shed hunting. Picked up 13 fresh ones out of one huge hay field. Unbelievable for us Easterners. 3 sets all together including on set laying on top of each other. Taking a little drive this afternoon to check out some of the country and then will be back hunting coyotes this evening.

Collin

Sounds like your trip has been a huge success already. I consider Montana my second home, so been looking forward to your updates. Keep having fun for those of us stuck at work
smile.gif

A little truck repair turned into a big truck repair this afternoon. But we were able to get one set in this evening. Set up in a deep valley fully of creek bottoms and sage brush where we heard the coyotes last night. Waited until they start howling again, and then went to work. Started with a female yodel howls. Then to coyote pair yip howls. Then silence. Behind me and over a hill came a challenge howl. And then some barks and another challenge howl. I challenged back and got another response. I decided I would get aggressive considering if this coyote was going to come in, he'd get my wins long before I could see him. I left the call playing challenge howls and made my move up the hill. As I crested the hill I could see him skylined 150 yards out. Had him all lined up for the chip shot but I wasn't going to take a skylined shot. He ended up getting annoyed I believe and just worked away. I tried to catch up as he went over the other side but vanished when I got there. All in all a good set for me. And a learning experience none the less.

Tomorrow is a new day. I'll be taking a walk nice and early to hopefully get a couple sets in before we have to run into town to get truck parts. Tomorrow is also the last day here in Roberts, it's off to public land north of here. Not sure exactly where but we will find some ground. I appreciate those who have followed our adventure this far!

Collin

Last edited:
Hope your truck repairs go well and doesn't interfere w/the hunt too much. Thanks for taking us along, and above all, enjoy!

Regards,
hm

Most of our morning and afternoon were unfortunately spent working on the truck, but it seems to be squared away now. We got out in the afternoon for a little walk and found nine more sheds and a cool looking dead head. In the evening we were able to glass up a pair of coyotes almost a mile away but were to far to make a move with the light we had and the wind was whipping way too much for calling. Tomorrow morning is our final hunt here in Roberts, Montana so it would be awesome to get another one down before we head elsewhere. We plan on stopping in Billings for a short time and then head straight north to whatever public land we can find. I'll do a little research tomorrow to see what I can come up with. This state has already given us so many memories and have met some of the nicest people that we will never forget.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Collin

Hundreds of acres of public land. Head north from Billings to Malta. 125 miles north you will be at Fred Robinson Bridge ( Missouri River). Charles Russel management area. (CMR) Lots of Bureau of land management. Good luck and good calling. Rudy

Well, we made it home from Montana this past Saturday. College took over as soon as I got back so I'm sorry for not posting sooner. All in all it was an unforgettable trip. We didn't get as much calling in as I had wanted but we were still able to get some and learn a few things. Saw plenty of dogs, just couldnt get it done. We ended with 22 whitetail sheds, one whitetail dead head and one beautiful coyote.

As promised, here are some pictures of our trip.

IMG_4429_zpstbd7xxz6.png

IMG_4438_zps9ymtyuv6.jpg

IMG_4476_zpshoskmufy.jpg

IMG_4518_zpsdcrkpr7f.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh630/cmlew100/IMG_4522_zpsecbddsnx.jpg
IMG_4510_zpsli6k0phq.jpg

IMG_4529_zpsh01ysqla.jpg

IMG_4530_zpsmiurtbiz.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh630/cmlew100/IMG_4572_zpshp62mj0f.jpg
IMG_4572_zpshp62mj0f.jpg

IMG_4556_zpsdg56u9ha.jpg

IMG_4564_zpsqmwyiysq.jpg

IMG_4570_zpsx9ibrbbi.jpg

IMG_4571_zpslpgbnedw.jpg

IMG_4575_zps0zo1aosx.jpg

IMG_4583_zpsmqdavkr5.jpg

The pictures of the sheds and the coyote came from after day one. Never got a group picture from the next day!

I appreciate you guys following along with my trip and all the nice words. Hope you enjoyed.

Collin

Looks like you guys had a great time seeing what I consider to be some of the best country in the lower 48. Great story and thanks for sharing it with us.

Making memories that will last a life time! Great way to spend your spring break. Great pictures, thanks for posting.

Regards,
hm

Back