MN misc. hunting reports (spot&stalk, light hunts, daytime calling)

Phil_Schmidt

New coyote (Chris) took me to a few of his spots before dark tonight. He was talking to one of the land owners and I waited in the truck. He came back to the truck and said he just heard some howling in the swamp. We waited a minute or two and another started howling maybe 400yds away. As we listened, one of the darn coyotes Chris heard howling in the first place, stepped out onto the pond in the swamp. Not more than 200yds away!
Thats one lucky coyote cause Chris did'nt bring his rifel along but had just secured permission for the property. It's not like a coyote to sit and stare, but this one was pretty bold. Chris dang near had his first coyote tonight. I guess we're gonna try to call'em out of that swamp in the morning. I'll let ya know........

Phil,

It sounds like you are the only one killing coyotes in Minnesota this year. Don't get 'em all. Leave some for seed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Actually, my tally is 2 fox and 2 coyotes in Minnesota this year and I haven't even been out calling yet. Killed all 4 critters off my deck.

Quote:

Actually, my tally is 2 fox and 2 coyotes in Minnesota this year and I haven't even been out calling yet. Killed all 4 critters off my deck.

Now that is not even fair.

Quote:
Now that is not even fair.

Yeah! I have to walk my targets all the way out into the feild before I get to shoot them, They dont walk out there for me. I'm jelouse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well you do have to step out of the house and look for them... Well, except for that first fox that I saw on the hillside while I was making breakfast... But, I did have to set down my coffee cup and he did have mange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We have managed to get a few coyotes here and one fox. Total is 4 for me 3 calling one during deerhunting, and i think 3 or so for my dad and cousins with a red fox. It was tough with the last moon and not much snow, i did call in 8 yotes and a bobcat in the one good night we had, we should of had at least 5 but poor shooting got us two.

We weren't sure what it was so he didn't shoot, it circled at bout 150 yds right into a patch of bushes. If it was one it would of been the first one i have seen, but we were calling by a river, do they come fast, i thought they came slow, but this one was moving right along. We were somewhat close to a farm so we were being extra careful.

Where in his post does he say he shot a bobcat, at all? I dont see it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif The poor new guy's gettin jumed on I think.

Any ways hunterlee. I see you're new to the site . WELCOME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Well we made a set near the swamp we saw that yote last night before dark while gaining permission. No takers. Then we drove around for a couple hours hoping to score a spot and stalk, but did'nt see a predator.

That swamp that phil is talking about, My butt will be there tonight "with my gun this time "He He" that i do know, from what i heard from a house owner near by there they howl evry night around the same time he also sees them every night walking out of that big swamp, so if that dum yote or yotes is there tonight walking in that swamp pritty sure that would be the wrong move on him or her part, cuz ill be there!! Im pritty sure there is more then one in that swamp cuz i seen two the one phil seen right away then i seen one just out side that swamp in the feild,, Tonight should be fun!!!!

Phil, you're right! I didn't read it clearly. My bad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I apologize to HunterLee. I didn't mean to "jum" on you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's cool just to see them! They can be rare but are easily duped at night, maybe that's why the restrictions on shooting hours.
A friend of mine shot one two years ago. It came in to the call running like it was coyote.
And, like Phil said, welcome to the site! Sounds like you may have some tips to provide!

Quote:
Sounds like you may have some tips to provide!

Yeah! Tips like how you call 8 predators in, In one night. Thats crazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Now The questions begin.....How many sets did you make that night? You must have had a great percentage of sets to animals called in. Do tell...

Last edited:
My hot spot came up with nothing tonight!Dam them yotes! Phil and I went to the hot spot to do a set tonight that me and phil seen them the other night, Phil did not here or see anything, I had 3 deer walk right by me at like 30 yards it was kind of cool i guess "thinking to my self cool now i got some bait out here for them yote" yeah not!! Would have been nice if they were all yotes "Though", well any ways i heard some holwing from the other swamp across the road i guess to make a long story short,is that they were in the other swamp im sure,,any ways phil and i are going to hite some other spots in the morning wish us luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif,,,,Time to get some rest TTFN

Called 2 spots this morning....Nothing. Then drove around for a couple hours spotting. Saw 2 different fox, but both were very awake and aware and hopped into the cover right away so I did'nt even bother trying to find the landowner.

Called one spot after work to nite. Found some tracks on the snow,the coyote had dirt on his pads from the feild.
I called in a owl thats all I seen to nite.

Thought about starting a predator hunting guide service? It's amazing the number of people I turn down each year. I think there's a market out there!

oh i see you kind of are in between right now!
(think I could join you on teami-94 with my Ultraglide? LOL)
have fun while all of us working stiffs are doing the grind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Back