MN Hunters where you from?

Nothin worse than having a low flying owl pay a visit at night while calling under the moon. Scares the crap outa me just as bad EVERY time. I'll never get used to it. Somtimes jump alittle, Sometimes jump alot, but I always jump. Then I feel kinda humiliated. Then the [beeep] thing has to sit above you on a tree branch and stare that blank stare. I dont like owls.....

Can anyone give me advice on what to shot at night in MN. Do you throw a slug or really big bird shot?
I was told there is a new shot on the market, anyone tried it? Trying to find out what it is. Suppose to be good up to 60 yards.

Bert73,

"Dead Coyote" by HeviShot. Stuff works awesome. 12 ga 3 inch T sized shot. Makes them very dead. I know Federal and Remington have similar loads, but I can't remember what they are called..."High Density....something or anothers" Those work well too, I understand. I know the Dead Coyote works.

Quote:
Can anyone give me advice on what to shot at night in MN.

How about a centerfire in the full moon light.
Works for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

ROOKIES ROOKIES ROOKIES WE HAVE ROOKIES!! Dont worry though guy's I'm nice and more than willing to share what I know about predator calling.

I'll try my best to fill you guy's in on what I know. Center fires can be used to hunt coyotes at night. Been this way for as long as I can remember. No lights may be used while hunting with a rifle.
I dont know much about hunting with lights cause I dont hunt with them. I could very well start hunting with lights in the future though and understnd it's my responsability to learn the laws before I hunt. This is what I know.. (Laws may have changed a bit so look at them yourself before you hunt) Only shotguns may be used while calling with lights for predators. You must be a certain distance from any motorised vehicle while using lights to call predators and you must be attempting to call predators to the gun while hunting with lights.

Last edited:
Quote:
Bemidji.... Dont think we can use a stand either, with a light . Have to be on foot ?

On foot means not in a vehicle. If you wanted to hunt out of a stand, you could as long as it's not motorized or such.

Here's the lights rule....

No light= shotgun or rifle.

Light= Shotgun only. Does not specify what type or size of load.

"hand held" means not attached to the truck. You are holding the light in some way...maybe its attached to your gun. You hold the gun, the gun holds the light. That's OK.
On foot....yep, that means out of the truck. In your deer stand is OK.....as long as your truck isn't your deer stand.

Must have a calling DEVICE. Handheld, e caller, don't matter. Just have one.

No road right of ways.

Must be 200 feet (or more) from the vehicle.

Good luck. Oh yeah....you might want to wait until Jan 1st. to start. Doing this before Jan 1 will get you in BIG trouble. That takes you right into the "deer shining with a gun" law. Bad idea.

GJ

Last edited:
Back