Minnesota coyote hunting

the predator

hey, yote hunters
i live in southern minnesota and i am having problems locating coyotes in the area .. i cant get any to locate or to come in to the calls .
If you have any ideas let me know?

badkarma74,

Set Up: I try all over in all differnt set up at night and in the evening . I mostly hunt in the nite from about 10:00 pm to 3-3:30 am I hunt over large marshes, woods, open feilds .

My problem is i can't lacate any .. i located A few before it snowed here and ever since i cant locate any.
I try locating with my electrinic caller and a mouth caller. and when i set up i use (kitten in distress) (rabbit in distress) (fawn in distress) ( coyote challenge ) and i cant get a response out of any..

Not enought SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't feel bad....4 hours north of you the same thing is happening. Awfully tough hunting up here. A good dumping of snow would not hurt. I've called to packs around here, and they quit howling, never to be heard from again. Good luck.
If you come upon a new trick for whackin' em, spread the wealth of knowledge to your fellow northlanders.....

the predator,

Would that half hour east of Mankato put you in the waseca area? My hometown?

You know, there are a lot of coyotes down that way but they are not everywhere. Where you will find them is in the middle of sections that have cover. you have to get in to them from downwind and get to the edge of that cover without being detected. Call softly if you are right on the edge of the cover.

If you are not seeing any, my guess is that either you aren't going far enough in or you are being spotted before you start to call or you are calling to an area that doesn't hold any coyotes.

Randy

Hey predator,

I'm from southern minnesota too. I'v been hunting around the Belle Plainne and Le Sueur area. Since the first of the year I've shot almost eight coyote(missed one)and two fox. One night I called in a double. I've been doing pretty much the same thing you have been doing. Most of the coyotes that I shot had come into kitten in distress CD. I found it the best to use a decoy. I've been hunting mostly at night. The two fox though, I shot while hunting in the evening. They both came into the good old cotton tail call. Locating has been tough. Ive been hunting spots where I have seen them or that that have a lot of sign.(tracks)

Night hunter : sounds good have you ever hunted with buker before ?
you two should go into book writing together
I even got a good name for your first book title!
(the Bullsh!ters journal)
Naw just kiddin sounds like we should team up some night..

Hello, fellow Minnesotans. I am new to coyote hunting and this site. I chose to revive this old thread. I like the tip on getting into a section from down wind. A friend will be taking me to sw Minnesota where they drive sections, so I will learn plenty there. My question(s) today are for central Minnesota: west, south, east of Mille lacs lake. This is the edge of Wolf territory as I understand it. Some say that the coyotes, in fear of the wolves, don't howl, don't cross fields and really are best hunted with dogs at night. Is any of this true? I am an experienced Muskie fisherman, which is to say, patience, knowledge and strategy are part of it, but getting yourself onto a good lake is more important.

Am I spinning my wheels in milaca, hinckley, onamia, etc? Btw, I live in Mpls, so driving 1-2 hours sw would be just as easy. Does the WIA program allow coyote hunting?

These forums really are a great way to learn fast. I hope I'm around long enough to return the favor and help somebody else.

Thanks, guys!

Back