Mini 14 shoot off

Hey all - I know this is a rag on mini 14 thread, but I really did buy the mini 14 tactical 223 and mounted a Pentax 2.5-10X56 scope I bought to try out a while back. It's obviously not a tack driver, but it does as well as my off the shelf Bushmaster. At the range about a week before this thread I sited it using a Harris bipod. It started out with 4-5 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds, but settled down after about 25-30 rounds to where I got 2 groups at about 1.5 & 2 inches using Hornady 55gr HP Steel Match ammo. This is out of the box. I suspect with some work (trigger, etc) I can get it down a little - maybe regular 1.5 groups or such.

Just for the fun of it, if I remember, I'll take some paper plates with me next time.

But I guess what I'm trying to say is - after all the negative press here about how poorly they shoot I was expecting worse results. I think it shoots as well as I would expect out of a short barrelled range rifle. And just fine for the 200 yd max shooting I'll be doing with it.

Oh yeah, and that day I shot it, I ran some 200+ rounds of about 7 or 8 different kinds of 223 and 556 thru it without a single hiccup.

It won't take the place of my Tikka 223 or my Savage 243, but it feels good, is reliable and shoots just fine for what I'll be using it for.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesRifle was shooting great today. Way better than normal.

DSC01095.jpg

OMG I laughed my a$$ off with that one. Ahh, the mini 14. My first calling rifle. What a pain in the arse............

No hatin here I like mine, shot a coyote tuesday with it and have shot 0.5MOA at 100yds groups out of it. Fairly rapid fire 5 shot groups at 300yds are about 1.5MOA. Definately MOC at that range.

I have had my fits with the rifle. What I've learned as having no prior experience with auto loading centerfires is that I need to hold the forearm. Won't shoot very well without holding it. It was a built gun by ASI but still a rifle off the same action. I was just having a little fun, no real ragging on the mini.

Originally Posted By: NastyDaddy101Mini 14 shoot off is about like Yugo drag racin.That said...Doggin has his HAMMERING!!! I guess load developing paid off!! WTG!

Did I win anything? Maybe a Yugo?

Back