MB 550's ?

beagler

Thinking about picking up some MB 550's (2 coiled)with offset jaws for a combo fox/yote trap. Anyone have any experience with these? Not sure if I should go with 4 or 2 coiled.

Hi guys. Pretty new to the site. I don't run the 550's but I run the 650's and I think that beside's the Sterling they are the best trap available on the market. I 4 coil everything. I don't want to take a chance with a 2 coiled trap.

Originally Posted By: DustyC I don't run the 550's but I run the 650's
Ever catch a fox in one of those 650's? I have four of them as well but I would think they are much too large for fox.
confused.gif

I'm concerned about leg damage on a fox, even four coiling the 550's. I don't trap live market or anything but just don't want to break a leg.
I'm new to trapping. Don't have many traps. My inventory right now consists of:

12 MB550's (two coiled but I purchased xtra springs for 4coiling)
4 MB650's
6 Bridger #2's fully modified 4 coiled,offset jaws, outside laminated)
12 Bridger #3's four coiled offset jaws

I have an equal chance at catching a fox(grey) or coyote at most of my future set locations.

I've caught a few fox with them and haven't broken a leg yet. I mainly target coyote and cats. I run the outside laminated jaws.(can't afford the cast!)If you have the chance at a coyote at your fox sets, In my opinion, I would definitely 4 coil and run the bigger traps. Thats just my 2 cents and by no means trapping gospel!!

Last edited:
I just purchased a dozen 550's this year to try. These are one of the best built traps I have ever seen. I can't wait to get them dirty.

Originally Posted By: swet158I just purchased a dozen 550's this year to try. These are one of the best built traps I have ever seen. I can't wait to get them dirty.

Trust me, you wont be dissappointed.

Back